Macho men are wearing skirts now

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Regular Guy

Macho men are wearing skirts now

Post by Regular Guy »

This is the title of an article in the New York Post on October 1,2016.
Very good article and certainly brings skirt wearing right up front. If someone here can help and post the link I would appreciate it. I'm a bit challenged in that area. If this has already been posted, sorry for the duplicate.
RG
Last edited by Regular Guy on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Macho men are wearing skirts now

Post by RichardA »

melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Really good article and is paving the way for more men to wear more comfortable clothing, like skirts and kilts :)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

One of our ranks was interviewed for that story. I'm not sure whether his contribution was presented in the story because his screen-name probably does not line up with his real name. Yes; it was an affirming story.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

Definitely awesome. I love the first pic in the link given, really nice skirt, looks good on him!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I don't know a "macho", why wouldn't the average guy be interested in skirting?
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have been in touch with the reporter who wrote story While my story was not directly in the article. she said that it helped with formulating the article. I asked her what type of response did she get from the article. She said there were a couple weird calls but over all the response was very favorable. She said the paper was considering pursuing the subject But she is not sure what the next step is. I mentioned that if she needed more input contact the cafe and we would try to help.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:[The reporter] said the paper was considering pursuing the subject But she is not sure what the next step is. I mentioned that if she needed more input contact the cafe and we would try to help.
That's encouraging. Let's see what happens, and let's also hope some of the more eloquent folks step into the breach if she makes such a call.

Based on the seeming uptick in posts to the "Sightings" thread there may be some momentum building. I'll admit that I've not done anywhere near an exhaustive analysis of it, but it "just seems that way". That said, unless it wasn't pre-arranged I do not believe I'd had a single sighting since that one in the 1980s.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Except for men wearing kilts in official functions Parades funerals etc and the couple of actors singers etc I have never seen a man in a skirt
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

In the Seattle area, kilting has become noticeable in recent years. Actually, the other day I found some advertising on my door nob for "Men In Kilts Window Cleaning".

Sightings of other designs? Virtually nonexistent.

I did see some Asian men in orange robes, once. And one time I saw a man in a thobe and the traditional Arab head dress. But I suspect that these were visitors who chose to wear their native garb.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

May have a great deal with location location location and population population.
The Pacific Northwest has the location - think Utilkit and fewer folks thus more chances of seeing a kilt
as opposed to the Big Apple with population and fewer folks wearing a kilt except at a parade or funeral.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

The frequency is really hard to judge.

As I've said before, a year ago sightings during the Summer in downtown Portland were a daily affair.

This Summer, almost none (looking at myself in the mirror at Ross's or TJ Maxx definitely DOESN'T count :wink: ).
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It was mentioned in the article that Yaeger decided to give one pipe a try...after seeing guys in kilts.

Could the kilted be a catalyst, inspiring others? Few, though, are kilted, so it may take awhile for change to gain momentum? :?:
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Grok wrote:It was mentioned in the article that Yaeger decided to give one pipe a try...after seeing guys in kilts.

Could the kilted be a catalyst, inspiring others? Few, though, are kilted, so it may take awhile for change to gain momentum? :?:
Damn! I was hoping it was Jaeger, the fashion house... :roll: Still, newmalefashions.blogspot.com has loads of "street sightings" and Lookbook has a few as well, with men who have no interest in transition. A few may call themselves "genderfluid", but many of the outfits are quite sensible, not the laughable efforts of the catwalk. What I have noticed is nearly every designer has a manskirt rather than the usual suspects like Gaultier. Nice to see alternatives to kilts, and news articles mention some schools in the UK introducing the option of skirts as well as trousers for boys as people embrace "inclusion" :wink:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Kilty, I recall a comment that the fashion designers are designing art work for the cat walk. This is useless for someone looking for a plausible outfit to wear in real life

Actually, the garments listed for Yaeger reminded me of members. Members trying out different possibilities.