Finding the right skirt but...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Finding the right skirt but...

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, but for the benefit of our newer members I'll say it again.

Moonshadow is absolutely right. Just because you can get the skirt or dress around you doesn't mean it will look like anything on you. So try it on. In front of a mirror. Before you buy it. Yes, you can return it if it doesn't work, but that's an extra, unnecessary trip.

If you're familiar with the brand, you should know the "size" that will work for you. But let me say it again, as far as I know, only 3 of my dresses are 12s. The rest are either L's or 14s. I choose 14s to be sure they'll fit around my waist and shoulders.

However, I just determined that my size 14 blouses are not broad enough across the shoulders and probably not really long enough in the torso and yes I tried them on in the stores. Going forward I'll have to broaden my perspectives and look closer at what I find.

In skirts I own everything from 8s to 14s and on any given day any given size may or may not fit. Ask any woman, they take it for granted they've got to try on several different sizes of skirts to find one in the style and color they want that will fit properly. The store clerks are used to that drill as well. When I went to the Columbia Sportswear store the clerk who was helping me took it for granted she'd have to search the racks for me to find a skirt that fit. As it turned out the skirt I bought was a 10 and the dress was a Large (12-14 And let's think about it, if it'll fit a size 14 person, it's really a 14, they're just hopping it won't look like a potato sack on a 12.). Women just accept that insanity as business as usual.

This is why our more experienced members bring a measuring tape and then try on the skirts that look promising.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Yuki

Re: Finding the right skirt but...

Post by Yuki »

I didn't think I would get this many responses. Looking for the brand is a great idea to find it somewhere else. Sadly I didn't think to look. You guys gave a lot of great advice here. Thank you for your replies.