Unisex Skirts for Children

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Unisex Skirts for Children

Post by Stu »

A firm called Fairybell and Lamonee are selling unisex skirts - and modeling them on boys:

http://www.myfairybell.com/index.php/en ... Itemid=443
http://www.myfairybell.com/index.php/en ... irt-detail
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Unisex Skirts for Children

Post by skirtyscot »

Fine-looking skirts; I hope they sells loads of them to boys. Not particularly likely, but the more people put the idea out there, the better the chance of someone taking it up.

£24 is not cheap, but I suspect the target market can afford it.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Daaaaaawwwwww! He's adorable with the fish skirt! :)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

Seems only the skirts, shorts and trousers are unisex, the dresses are not. Strange to say the least as a dress would be quite suitable for a lad.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

One of the questions here is, "What happens when a lad who's gotten used to wearing skirts gets told to CONFORM and gets rammed into trousers?" I rather suspect he'll feel betrayed and saddened by the experience.

"Sorry kiddo. Real men wear trousers." is going to sound pretty damned hollow, especially if the lad in question is a bright one.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:One of the questions here is, "What happens when a lad who's gotten used to wearing skirts gets told to CONFORM and gets rammed into trousers?" I rather suspect he'll feel betrayed and saddened by the experience.

"Sorry kiddo. Real men wear trousers." is going to sound pretty damned hollow, especially if the lad in question is a bright one.
Less likely.... he's in the U.K.... not the United States of Testosterone.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Exactly as likely as in the USA, i.e. 100% chance.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

What may happen with those UK kids is they will rebel and wear skirts cause the school dress loosely worded permits it.
Then those bright individuals will no doubt take this internetty thing here and a create their very own user friendly SkirtCafe YOUTH version *
* have to be no older than 18 to participate and be a member.
Wouldn't put it past these young ones - imagine what you over the hill gang posters did to communicate pre-cellphones - tablets - chat rooms
- laptops - internet café things - AND FOREMOST TA DA ***** THE COMPUTER ***** !!!
I remember playing Chess on/with a University of Minnesota Computer - First you take the telephone handset (wired of course) and dial up some
number (dial up modem) and place that handset in a cradle device to send a signal (your move) a mile away to some remote server to dispatch
the signal (move) and then wait perhaps as little as maybe a couple of minutes for the computers response.
Winning was easy just exchange all the pieces except the last one making an advancing pawn into a Queen and the killing piece - all this until
the wee hours of the morning - and savoring the win on the taxpayers machine and expense ! That was learning 101 !
Now these young rascals leave you in the dust at Pawn King 4 in three dimensional chess !

Yes the UK youngsters are smarter than what was the saying - yes - "Whipper Snapper" and have finely tuned the English language like a learned
lawyer aka barrister solicitor into a weapon against clothing defined by sex !
We haven't quite got there in the colonies but God willing with gumption we are getting there - God save the Queen and the SkirtCafé (albeit the
Adult version) !

Don't ya just love these computers and forums ! LOL !!!
When I press this ENTER button my message of doom is sent all over the world and when I press ESC (Escape) nothing happens I am still here
and then when I press CTRL-ALT-DEL all at the same time my adventure as a sorcerers apprentice comes to an end !
Don't take the RED pill or was it the BLUE pill - hell take'm both and don't call me in the morning !

Darn kids anyway designing and wearing the next generation dress code for the emperor !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

skirtyscot wrote:£24 is not cheap, but I suspect the target market can afford it.
Several I looked at say "hand made in the UK". Probably more expensive than a sweatshop in Bangladesh. :P
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

This sounds plausible. :idea:

Skirt craft, for somewhat larger people, is unisex; and as I understand it, the project reached its financial goal (paying for itself).
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The hope will always lie in the kids, that's certain.
However, it will be a very brave parent who dresses their son in a skirt.
Cost is certainly a factor, we have to be at an upper level.
Societal pressure on the parents is also huge and I won't even go into the realms of potential abuse allegations.
Nope, if there is any real ground shift for guys in skirts, it will likely arise from the teens.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:Nope, if there is any real ground shift for guys in skirts, it will likely arise from the teens.
Dear Mr. Quixote,

Please stop tilting at windmills.

Teens are a lost cause. I am unfortunate enough to still recall my passage through those years, and woe be to the poor bastard that even so much as dares to think outside the prevailing herd mentality. For as rebellious as teenagers like to think themselves, a more lemming-like herd you'll never find. Independent thought -- never mind behaviour -- is usually rewarded with harassment, ostracism, or outright physical abuse (which is tacitly condoned by the adults), none of which are conducive to deviating from the accepted norm. Folks who wonder why teens contemplate and attempt suicide at high rates are those who have forgotten what those years are like. I'm surprised that anybody gets through it without PTSD, depression, or worse -- save that the human mind is actually very, very good at wallpapering things over.

This is the realm of adults or, just possibly, the younger set (who will likely get it kicked out of them as they pass through their own teen years).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

STEVIE wrote:Nope, if there is any real ground shift for guys in skirts, it will likely arise from the teens.
Steve.
Honestly I think it would start with college. I know that if I had dormed on campus during my years, I would have used that as a way to wear things I would prefer wearing. Being out of the house and away from the eyes of judgmental parents, college kids can usually do things that they normally wouldn't have.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Carl, again I agree with you, up to a point.

Remember, in high school most kids conform, but to the norms of their own group. So there's quite a range of "normal" behaviors. And just as in adult society you have the artists, who to prove they're creative, are non-conformists, within the limits of their artist circle.

So don't write off the teeners. Ya gotta luv 'em!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Remember, in high school most kids conform, but to the norms of their own group. So there's quite a range of "normal" behaviors.
Actually I have to agree with you. Since I've started being a substitute teacher I've seen some different things. Just yesterday I saw a girl with a tail and classic goth/emo kid clothes. And a Bennie because the school now allows hats for some reason