A question about ugly & bad skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A question about ugly & bad skirts

Post by Elisabetta »

Bamaskirting wrote:Sorry Jenn. I didn't know!

It's all good hun no worries :)
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Victor Faretina, the man in the pastel outfits: if you follow a few links you find that the multicoloured skirted outfits are for some sort of special event, and that his normal attire is somewhat less outré, though far from mainstream. His outfits have clearly been put together very carefully, with a coherent style. I'd even go so far to say they are beautiful. Maybe what you'd expect to see on a preschool girl, rather than a man in his twenties, but why the hell shouldn't he? I will stick to my self-coloured denim and cord skirts, thank you very much, but we are all about fashion freedom, so more power to him!

I was going to say he's like Grayson Perry, but GP's dresses are more like Alice in Wonderland on acid, 120 years out of date. This guy is contemporary. (Cropped off at the edges of some of his "fashion walk" pics are people who do look like they have borrowed from GP. Maybe this is a thing in Japan.)
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

denimini wrote:Great! So much fun. My favourite is:

I enjoyed freedom in my youth that is not possible for youth today, however today's youth now have freedom we did not have and this sort of clothing is one.
Makes our unconventionality seem rather humble.
Looks nice but I would like the skirt a little longer to save any blushes. I tend to avoid 'flippy' or floaty skirts that the wind could catch, leading to any possibility of exposure. I guess that is why I stick to pencil skirts as I like the cut and generally they stay where they are through out the day. :P though I notice the Japanese style is more based on the school girl with knee high socks and tiny skirt. New Male Fashion shows a lot of that style, or its the ankle length skirt with boots. Not really my style but each to their own :wink:
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Back on the original topic, I generally only comment if I like a picture. That doesn't necessarily mean I'd wear the outfit in question. It's more that the guy has created a good look, something that is coherent and believable.

Occasionally I have criticised an outfit, but I always say why. Just "God, that's awful!" would be unhelpful. But to tell a man that the length or the shape or the colour is wrong for him or doesn't go with the rest of his outfit might actually help him.

You have to careful about who you hand out this sort of treatment to. Latest beneficiary of my wisdom was Moonshadow; I reckoned he was confident enough to take it! But there have been some new members at an early stage in their skirt-wearing who have taken quite a beating from old hands, and they have gone, never to return. One I remember was a black guy who wore short dresses which were a tight bodycon fit and left very little to the imagination. Perhaps with a bit more "have you tried [whatever] style" instead of "ffs put it away, man!" he would have stayed. We need all the extra skirtsmen we can get.

Sometimes I put up two photos together and ask which people prefer. This is quite an effective way to draw out the negative as well as the positive. "I like the first one because ..." can tell you gently what is wrong with the second.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I think the SC community here has been pretty fair as far as I'm concerned. I know I had some odd styles when I started here last summer but I always found encouragement here. I know on a few matters I have been somewhat defensive. However, looking back on some of the styles later on in the future, I can see a few did look pretty silly.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that just because a male skirter stops posting here he also stops wearing skirts. Chances are he just decided the site wasn't for him for whatever reason. I know flickr and other various online venues are crawling with male skirt wearers. And I'm not just talking about woman-impersonating crossdressers either.

Some people just don't like posting in forums. It's nothing personal, or anything we did wrong, they just find it uninteresting. I myself have been a forum poster since the late 90's, basically since I got my first computer connected to the world wide web as a teenager. This is my thing. I like to write stuff, I like to talk (just ask Jenn), however in the many blogs I have attempted to author, I find that my only readers were the spam-bots and I never get to engage in any real discussion.

So I wouldn't worry too much about running people off or ruining skirts for them. Chances are even if we do piss them off.. remember, they're men, chances are they will just not post and wear what they like to wear just to spite us. 8)

Good for them! It does take a certain thickness of skin for a man to strut about in a "women's" skirt! If a fella can't handle a little static on a male skirt friendly forum, then he doesn't stand a chance in hell out in the real world with those monsters!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

I'll echo Moon's comments. I am not really a big poster myself but as has been observed many times and in many places, "There no such thing as a former crossdresser." That being said it can be extended to say that there is no such thing as a former skirt wearer either. Once you have broken the "boundaries" of fashion there is no turning back to how things were before. It the same as losing your "innocence", it can never be gotten back so you just have to live with it.

I have participated in several other forums where member have said they are leaving because they are giving up this or that or the other thing and they are going to throw it all away. They do and within a couple of years they are back on the forum being welcomed home and telling the new folks that same old story, Once you get the urge it will never go away and you will be back. It is therefore more likely that the folks that leave simply have found the forum format and moderation level is simply not for them. They may have also been offended by a comment but we can hope that they grow and get passed that and realize that the comment was intended to help rather than harm in the long run, those folks we can hope will return sooner or later.

We should all keep in mind that like us when we first started that our egos were also very fragile and anything that even seems to be embarrassing can trip us up and make us retreat into our own closet so being encouraging is the best route we can take for the newbies in our ranks. Eventually we all realize that the demons we have are really miniscule and are mostly in our own heads and once we really face them they will run away from us.

The most important thing I believe is to understand that we will all stand before our maker and we will answer for our own actions and not those of others. So my advise is to be true to yourself and you will be able to stand truthfully when that time comes. If cab be true to yourself you will be able to be true to you maker and thus unashamed as to who you really are. In the long run it does not matter what others think or do, it only really matters what we ourselves think and do.