London Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Re: London Skirt

Post by Couya »

crfriend wrote: In my case, if I'm wearing one of my rigid-waist skirts (and I have a few) and am comfortable at the start of the day, I find that if I tuck into a good meal the thing starts to bind uncomfortably.
Sounds as if you are on the way to reaching my age, Carl. Although my waist is only a cm or 2 more than it was in my 20s, I too notice that a meal may well make clothing a little tight round the middle, which never used to happen. In the last few years my centre of gravity has definitely descended, and I have to make an effort, a big effort, to pull in the belly I never used to have. What shape will I be, if I reach 80?
At 20, I was 6'4" with a 32" waist (I used to be able to comfortably fasten a computer-tape-cover from a 10" reel around my waist; do the math)
No. I refuse to do any more maths just because you people over there still will not use the metric system.

Having hips a good deal wider than my waist, I never have fears of my clothes falling off. The unfortunate part is that I can never buy skirts "made for men", since they appear to be made for cylinder-shaped guys rather than for hour-glass types like myself. In the distant days when I wore trousers, it was not easy finding any that fit me; always too loose at the waist, too tight round the bottom.

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Couya wrote:
crfriend wrote:At 20, I was 6'4" with a 32" waist (I used to be able to comfortably fasten a computer-tape-cover from a 10" reel around my waist; do the math)
No. I refuse to do any more maths just because you people over there still will not use the metric system.
31.42" -- it's pi times the diameter of 10 inches.
Having hips a good deal wider than my waist, I never have fears of my clothes falling off.
You're lucky.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

:D at skirtyscot. No worries mate, lol.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Jim wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote:The only other option to a garment that has an elastic waist is one with a Velcro closing i.e. like in the casual SportKilt which has both forms of closing.
A belt is also a good option. In my work (farming), I often use a belt to hold things, not just hold my clothing in place. So I prefer skirts made with belt loops, as I find making such loops a chore.
Making belt loops is not all that hard to do except for the finishing move.
First determine how wide a loop it is that is needed.
Take strip of matching or contrasting material and fold in half.
Sew the strip together at the very edge of the where the edges meet.
You have now made a tunnel which must be reversed to have the finished edge outside.
Now the difficult part have a fish line and run it to the end of tunnel fasten to that end
and pull the section inside out (unfinished side to finished side). Making wide loops is
easier than the skinny ones. You can skip this step if you want and just iron the loop
piece with seam side down - only down side to this is when looping a belt through the
loops the seams can be snagged by the belt. Iron the piece to flatten it out and cut and
fold this piece to sew onto the waist band.
Make as many of these as necessary for the number of belt loops.
With kilts traditionally you only need two on the back of the waist for the sporran chain.
When using a belt for closing 6-7 work fine - two in the front two on the hips and 2 or 3
on the back of the waist. With the fabricated belt loops being quite thick you are going to
need a hefty sewing machine to stitch/attach the loops to the waist.
Look at a sewing manual for construction. Need an example look at an item of clothing
with belt loops and see how it is all put together !
One of the awkward parts is with tartan belt loops trying to position the tartan pattern
to the background of the waist band - best to consider a solid contrasting color !

After you make your first couple you will find this a breeze - do big wide ones from the
start and graduate to smaller later.
With kilts and wrap skirts the placement of the belt loops is important to function smoothly !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

r.m.anderson wrote:...
You have now made a tunnel which must be reversed to have the finished edge outside.
Now the difficult part have a fish line and run it to the end of tunnel fasten to that end
and pull the section inside out (unfinished side to finished side).
To save having to thread the line through the tunnel, sew it to one end of the strip first; then sew the strip closed with the line already inside it. The line doesn't even need to be as long as the strip, because you can begin pulling the tunnel inside out while you are still sewing the edge.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Looking at commercial clothing belt loops may not help you. They use an approximately double width strip of fabric, fold the edges to the centre and use a cover stitch machine to sew it flat, keep it from unravelling, and make the inside smooth in a single operation. They don't have time to be fiddling around turning tunnels of fabric.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:Make as many of these as necessary for the number of belt loops.
Easier would be to make one long piece, turn it right-side-out, and then cut each piece to length.

Also, if applicable, adding a length of light webbing fabric inside the finished tube before pressing adds rigidity and structure to what will become loops once they're atached to the garment that needs to be held up.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Here are some new skirt designs you can vote on at Chicwish:

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=c75 ... e454b6d21d
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Just looking at this thread, as probably someone else has realised, these are not UK sizes, but far east sizings. I have looked at many a skirt I like the look of, to be disappointed that XXXL converts to only a UK 14. I need an elasticated 14/16, or a zipped 18 skirt. You would think in this day and age that a common sizing would be the norm, ie, a 14 would be a 14 whether made in London, New York or China.
I really like the second and last skirt on top row of photoguys post--especially the rose one,
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

We have two perfectly good sizing standards with known and infallible conversions between them, if manufacturers would just (accurately!) label their clothes with them. They are common enough to have names. The preferred one is called inches, the other centimetres.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Tor wrote:They are common enough to have names. The preferred one is called inches, the other centimetres.
The order depends largely on longitude. Most of the northern western hemisphere lags behind in this.

Just sayin'.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Just got another skirt link in my email from Chicwish

http://www.chicwish.com/bottoms/skirt/p ... created_at