where are we all from

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Re: where are we all from

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Born in Boston, Massachusetts, USA; have lived in Massachusetts, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, Edinburgh Scotland, and now live in southern New Hampshire.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Rev Paul

Post by Rev Paul »

Born in Pittsburgh Pa grew up in that area moved to Iowa in the 70's for college then to Wisconsin in 1980 left there in '97 moved to Illinois have been in the Peoria area since '97.
JamesKelsey

Post by JamesKelsey »

I live in a very small, narrow-minded, redneck town EXACTLY between Seattle, WA and Portland, OR. I can't wait to find a few perfect skirts to walk around town in. :twisted:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

JamesKelsey wrote:I live in a very small, narrow-minded, redneck town EXACTLY between Seattle, WA and Portland, OR. I can't wait to find a few perfect skirts to walk around town in.
I always thought the whole northwest was pretty mellow. No?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

JamesKelsey wrote:I live in a very small, narrow-minded, redneck town EXACTLY between Seattle, WA and Portland, OR. I can't wait to find a few perfect skirts to walk around town in.
Hmm, Centralia/Chehalis area? A lot of Klan (or was it American Legion) activity there once upon a time. I haven't been through there since I moved back to SF from Seattle in 1992.
Caultron wrote:I always thought the whole northwest was pretty mellow. No?
Eastern Washington and Oregon can be different worlds than the Seattle/Puget Sound and Portland regions. That said, I drive through both while wearing a skirt and wear my skirts at my brother's and friend's homes in Eastern Washington. Heck, I saw an employee at Home Depot in Yakima WA with hoop earrings several years ago. Made me more comfortable wearing my studs.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
Hmm, Centralia/Chehalis area? A lot of Klan (or was it American Legion) activity there once upon a time. I haven't been through there since I moved back to SF from Seattle in 1992.
Caultron wrote:I always thought the whole northwest was pretty mellow. No?
Eastern Washington and Oregon can be different worlds than the Seattle/Puget Sound and Portland regions. That said, I drive through both while wearing a skirt and wear my skirts at my brother's and friend's homes in Eastern Washington. Heck, I saw an employee at Home Depot in Yakima WA with hoop earrings several years ago. Made me more comfortable wearing my studs.
Pfft... amateurs! :lol:

Of course, many people tell me I'm going to wind up dead one day around here for having the audacity to practice liberty. If so, my death will meet me from the back of the head, because everything I see head on doesn't seem that bad. :?

As far as redneck towns on the western coastal states, I reckon it's sort of like over this way, while mostly conservative, we have little "liberal islands" here and there, Floyd County comes to mind, Johnson City TN, Asheville NC, etc. I guess over that way, I figure the culture must be mostly progressive with little "conservative islands" here and there.

Even bamaskirting, who lives in the deep south apparently wears his skirts out and about, but curiously, only at Hobby Lobby's and small stores. Still... public is public.

Fear not! Enjoy your life! Don't be a bunch of pansies! We'll stare death in the face on a battle field, drive a car a 200MPH, scale across sky scrapers, wrestle snakes and bears.... but we afraid to wear a little ol' skirt out in public??? Come-aaaawwwwwwnnnn......... :roll:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

It isn't just conservative islands in the West Coast states, Moonshadow.
I grew up in Connecticut, but have lived nearly all of my adult life in a state with 4 or 5 counties larger than the whole state I grew up in. Some of those counties have more livestock than people and such areas are characteristically conservative nationwide. The difference is that 2/3 or so of our population live in the Willamette Valley and most of them live in Portland, Salem, Eugene and Ashland. The rest of the real estate, except some of the fishing and tourist areas along the Coast, are farming or logging. Consequently, most of the people are pretty liberal and most of the real estate is in conservative counties. Consequently, one Congressional District is solidly Republican, one or two are solidly Democratic and the rest are battlegrounds though right now we only have one Republican in our whole Congressional delegation. That said, there's a real live and let live approach to the state though we do have a scary number of survivalists in the more remote but lush areas in the state and like California, marijuana was a major cash crop long before it was legalized.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:It isn't just conservative islands in the West Coast states, Moonshadow.
I grew up in Connecticut, but have lived nearly all of my adult life in a state with 4 or 5 counties larger than the whole state I grew up in. Some of those counties have more livestock than people and such areas are characteristically conservative nationwide. The difference is that 2/3 or so of our population live in the Willamette Valley and most of them live in Portland, Salem, Eugene and Ashland. The rest of the real estate, except some of the fishing and tourist areas along the Coast, are farming or logging. Consequently, most of the people are pretty liberal and most of the real estate is in conservative counties. Consequently, one Congressional District is solidly Republican, one or two are solidly Democratic and the rest are battlegrounds though right now we only have one Republican in our whole Congressional delegation. That said, there's a real live and let live approach to the state though we do have a scary number of survivalists in the more remote but lush areas in the state and like California, marijuana was a major cash crop long before it was legalized.
Interesting... I suppose it's really the same way over here, though we don't have many cities the size of Portland, Seattle, etc. Roanoke VA is the largest city in western VA with a population of just under 100,000, a "small town" by Portland standards with well over two million! :lol: While statewide we probably have a higher population density, average towns and small cities this way tend to run under 10,000 people each. Abingdon- 8,191, Damascus- 814, you get the idea.

Fred and I both discussed skirting in different areas and how to manage different communities to win them over, we both agreed it's really about "feeling out" the area and learning what makes them tick. The fact is, that homosexuality is basically nationally accepted now. Even those who don't approve generally realize that it's here to stay and there's nothing they can do about it. I think that helps soften the blow when people see something they're not accustomed to. Trans-issues are a little more tricky due to the fact of our culture being based upon basic gender customs that state "boys do this, and girls do that". It's a tough hurtle to cross but we're getting there... hopefully. Thanks to the internet and the expansion of ideas I think we as a nation have come a long way.

Anyway, the point being, around here coal is king. Regardless of your stand on the coal issue, when in conversation with locals here in the coal fields of Appalachia just be sympathetic to their troubles (lay offs, dangers of mining, etc) and you'll be fine. It doesn't have to shift into a political discussion. I myself am for cleaner energy, but I speak from the heart when I say to them "I hate that you all are going through this, I hope you can find your way to prosperity because you have a beautiful town here".

Basically, regardless of what drives your area, let them see that you are not a threat to their way of life.

Also, conservative areas generally pride themselves on patriotism. When asked "what's with the skirt", a grin and reply of "FREEDOM" with conversation to follow generally goes over reasonably well. Often times ending with "well man... it ain't for me but hey... it's a free country so whatever floats yer boat!.... just be careful!"

Nothing wrong with that! :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JamesKelsey

Post by JamesKelsey »

Caultron wrote:
I always thought the whole northwest was pretty mellow. No?
A always thought that too! I was shocked to find that Lewis County (and Centralia) was NOT liberal. . . quite the opposite actually.
skirtedtaz

Post by skirtedtaz »

Fort Collins Colorado,

The weather is turning cold here, time to add tights to the skirted outfit. The snow has began to fly in the mountains. Change of the seasons is in full swing.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

JamesKelsey wrote:
A always thought that too! I was shocked to find that Lewis County (and Centralia) was NOT liberal. . . quite the opposite actually.
I've been skirted/kilted through the Chehalis/Centralia area tons of times over the past 14 years. Have I had problems? Nope. It's just like Seattle in that respect. You have nothing to worry about. And yes, I probably should be living in Lewis County, since I am "one of those" (read right-wing - however not voting for Drumpf - too liberal for me) people.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

Fairly new member here, from Southern Ontario, Canada. I see lots of representation from the UK and US, any other Canadians here?
Liino

Post by Liino »

jmiller842 wrote:Fairly new member here, from Southern Ontario, Canada. I see lots of representation from the UK and US, any other Canadians here?
Hi JMiller842, yes there are few more of us in Canada..I am in east side of BC. I know of a couple more in Calgary area too.
cheers!