Its lonely out here

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Its lonely out here

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am wearing skirts more and more. I really think that most people don"t even notice or care what I am wearing. I probably pay more attention to what men are wearing than the rest of the population. What I am looking for is to find another man wearing a skirt And as the subject says its a little lonely out here.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Its lonely out here

Post by hairy »

I feel the same, hope some day to come across another bloke in a skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I come across one every month or two, although it has been a few months now.

Try googling for a Celtic fest in your area. You'll find hundreds of men in kilts there, and not all tartans.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I was at a Celtic fest in Dayton, Ohio yesterday. You're right, Lots of men in kilts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

It would be the norm at a Celtic feast. I want to find a man wearing a skirt at a gas station or a supermarket or even McDonalds.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

oldsalt1 wrote:It would be the norm at a Celtic feast. I want to find a man wearing a skirt at a gas station or a supermarket or even McDonalds.
I personally don't think that is a problem, if you enjoy being yourself then everything will be fine.
らき☆
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Other than Celtic fests, I've seen men in skirts or kilts at the supermarket, Target, playing guitar in a local brewpub, waiting tables, attending rock concerts, attending NHL hockey games, attending tattoo conventions, and I'm sure more that don't immediately come to mind. Art shows, art/craft faIrs, and comicons are also likely locations. Anything counter-cultural.

So while they're still pretty rare, they are out there.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Shortly before I started wearing them full time, I saw a guy from the train wearing a maxi skirt. Since then, I have seen a few guys wearing utilikilts and regular kilts at the store, (even had a few regular kilts among the staff) One guy, who used to work here before my time sometimes visits in a kaftan. No guys in actual skirts, so far...
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

It is pretty lonely here in Australia as well, I have seen two kilts in all the years I have been wearing kilts and skirts.

John
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Indeed there are not many of us out there at all. I have seen a number (outwith meet-ups arranged through this site). I would also divide kilts and UK's from "other" skirts as noted below.
Being from Scotland, I generally see some kilted blokes most months, sometimes weekly. They are generally at a reception or church wedding though occasionally elsewhere (supermarkets etc).
I have seen a few UK's but they are a lot less frequently visible - usually I only see one or two a year and then generally near Xmas time. Recenty, I have seen a few pictures in a local (Scottish) newspaper though the topics are not about skirted blokes. Just pics of the man running a project (for example) who happened to be wearing a UK.
For other "actual" skirts on men, I have seen just two. One was at my local supermarket. He had on a knee length green fleck pleated skirt and was with a couple of his mates, one of whom had on cargo shorts and the other a pair of denims.
The other fellow was a cyclist courier around Edinburgh who had on a faded pink miniskirt with grey tights.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Kilt sightings are not super uncommon these days. Not something you see every day, but I see a man in a kilt at least four or five times a year it seems, and I'm not counting Trail Days.

I think it would be nice to see more men challenging established gender roles. Such roles DO represent the gender "enslavement" of our sex. While the kilt is all fine and well, and has it's place, it still represents "macho" and I feel that's the biggest reason for it's adoption among many males. I'd like to see more men exploring more balanced gender expressions. Interestingly, many modern men ARE more sensitive, caring, understanding, and less macho (more feminine), but alas, they can't get on board with feminine attire. It's those men who are my target. I feel they are the easiest sell in as far as finally trying on the comfort and freedom that comes with clothing yourself as YOU see fit, not what society expects from you.

Kilts are coming, and I don't need to promote them, they are already being well promoted as a macho skirt my macho men. No.. my goal is to help open minds of men who are willing to have their minds open and explore the possibilities that come with true freedom of expression, and to give them the courage to break the shackles that come with established gender roles.

However, as the bumper sticker slogan goes... "be the change you want to see in the world". We must continue to express our self freely. You never know who might see you and may find encouragement to venture out in a skirt. You may never meet that man, but he may be the one who finally ends the gender enslavement of the male sex.... all because he saw you in a skirt and found encouragement. I'm sure those two hikers I saw in their dresses back in 2015 still have no idea the monster they created in me! :lol: Who knows over the last year how many minds I've unchained, or any one of you!

Skirt on! :flower:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Yes, it would be nice, not to be the only skirted man around. The irony is that, if I did see another man in a skirt out on the street, I'd probably think "Oh, dear. Another weirdo !" ... and keep well out of his way !!!
Just as many people do when they see me out and about.

Martin
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

If I see another man on the street in any sort of skirt/kilt I'll go for a chat. We must keep spreading the word that its OK for a bloke to wear what ever he wants, we are still in the early days but in time it will happen.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Couya wrote:Yes, it would be nice, not to be the only skirted man around. The irony is that, if I did see another man in a skirt out on the street, I'd probably think "Oh, dear. Another weirdo !" ... and keep well out of his way !!!
Just as many people do when they see me out and about.
Just tell 'em, "I like that skirt," or, "Rockin' that kilt, man," and you'll be amazed at what a great reception you'll get.

Cuz, like, wouldn't you?

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Tut, tut, Martin, you do yourself a disservice. I don't think you're weird in the slightest. Stop talking yourself down!

Mind you, when I saw a skirted man recently, I didn't speak to him. I was with the Mrs, and I felt it would not have gone down well with her, seeing as I was also skirted at the time and she would not have wanted me to draw attention to that. A passing "nice skirt" would have been OK, maybe. I failed :-(
Keep on skirting,

Alastair