Out at supermarket shopping

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
PalmBoy

Re: Out at supermarket shopping

Post by PalmBoy »

My denim skirt is a straight skirt, not flared so my steps are limited and it doesn't blow up. I have another that is flared but it's longer, to the knees. My biggest problem is finding a skirt that's not so feminine.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Just wear a straight skirt, Palmboy, and Uncle Al's nightmare scenario will never come to pass.
Nightmares happen here -- and can happen to anyone at any time and with no provocation. The results are not pretty and will follow you for the rest of your days.

There is also precisely nothing "feminine" about denim.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Some areas may be pretty lax on the occasional "free" flash (commando), however if you ever travel this way, I'd HIGHLY recommend against it, even a mishap in a kilt can get you in trouble. Believe me, the southeast takes modesty VERY VERY seriously. I'd even wager than if I were to get in the habit of wearing really short skirts even with underwear on, just the sight of the underwear when I bent over would probably be enough to at the very least have an unpleasant questioning by the police.

Someday men may be able to wear short bottoms (skirts) as women do without any legal issues, and someday women may be able to forego the shirt like men do and we will have true equality of the sexes as far as clothing goes. Until that day, we must continue to push the envelope little by little. I think in two to three more generations, we will be very close. I might live to see it, but I'll be a VERY old man by then, well past my "best by" date... :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Palmboy, you may seem just a lone voice in the wind where you are but by going commando in a short skirt your actions reflect badly on the whole male skirted community should anything untoward happen. The press would just love the headline "Skirted male pervert uncovered." Yeah, nice. :( :oops: Such things can put our cause back by miles. Sorry to be so blunt but it's the Self Preservation Society here. Now where have I heard that song before - oh yes I know, The Italian Job - classssicccc.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have to agree with sinned. don't get me wrong , nobody has a rite to tell you what to do. but getting accepted is a long term process. And I guarantee that the one time a wind gust lifts it up you are going to be standing next to a seven year old girl with a mother with a very loud mouth. you yourself don't need the grief and our cause does not need it either.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

PalmBoy wrote:My denim skirt is a straight skirt, not flared so my steps are limited and it doesn't blow up. I have another that is flared but it's longer, to the knees. My biggest problem is finding a skirt that's not so feminine.
A denim pencil skirt is fairly masculine as skirts go. Gap do some nice ones, also D&G if you have the money. I avoid any with embroidered pockets and go for indigo denim, or grey. :wink: fairly easy to walk in with a generous slit at the back. I avoid straight skirts with the slit at the front as it can lead to exposing ones self and I would not want someone looking up my skirt :roll:
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I fear that dreaded gust of wind all the time, if it did lift my skirt I'd want the earth to swallow me no matter what I did or did not have on underneath, and my wife and daughter tell me the girls live in same fear all the time. I've had many a moment when its started to lift and my heart skips a few so that is why I've now HAD to wear denim which is a pity cuz I like the lighter weight skirts and ALL of mine are mini or shorter, but then again why should we worry when many girls DON'T worry about what ever they have on display.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

"why should we worry ... (about exposing ourselves)(while wearing a skirt)?"
Self-respect. Respect for the sensibilities of others. Obedience of the law. Making life easier for the rest of us.
We all live in free countries so do what you feel.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.