Root of the Issue

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Root of the Issue

Post by SkirtRevolution »

At some stage we have all no doubt questioned societies strange double standard regarding clothing. Woman can wear mens clothing but men.......you know the story. But what is the real reason society has a problem with men wearing skirts? Whats the root issue? For sometime I have been thinking about this and I am convinced that the answer is this. Society doesnt have a problem with men wearing skirts....societies real problem is with men expressing themselves in anyway that is "associated" with femininity. Because society still see femininity as inferior and a man wanting to embrace femininity is somehow taking a step down.

Look at the kilt, the lungi, the sulu, the throbe and many other unbifurcated garments around the world and you will see nobody has a problem with these. A kilt for example conjures up the most hypermasculine images yet if a man wears a pleated netball skirt (which is almost identical to a kilt) then people freakout.

I think the only way society will embrace skirts for men is when either of two things happen. 1. Skirts continue to be promoted as a mens garment until the skirts no longer carry the association with femininity, or 2. Society changes its attitude towards gender and accepts a more fluid idea of gender.

In my opinion, both of these are happening together and even though we promote the idea of MEN, who identify as men, wearing skirts, the trangender movement is also supporting our cause, inparticularly the sub categories such as genderfluid people.

I may or may not agree with all that is going on in the world but I can say it has made if far easier for me to wear a skirt or a dress without having to feel the need to try pass as a woman. The old notions of a man wearing a skirt must be a "weirdo" have started to erode and peoples prejudices are being changed to consider that people are more fluid than they may have once thought.

One thing I do like regarding the genderfluid movement is that, just because a man wears a skirt, doesnt mean he wants to become a woman. I also hope that when places like schools and work places that are in the process of changing their uniform policies, also consider this genderfluid inbetween and let boys/men wear skirts as boys/men.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Root of the Issue

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think that things are slowly changing. But not fast enough. A good example is earrings. In the not to distant past the thought of men wearing earrings was unheard of. I choose not to wear them. But if I see a man wearing them my only interest is the size and quality of the stones. with no consideration into who is wearing them.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I think different people have different reasons for their dislike of men in skirts. In all seriousness, I think the biggest issue is it just isn't customary. It shocks people, and people don't like being shocked. People like to imagine that the world has a certain order about it, an order that they've known all their life. Then suddenly something comes along and challenges that order and they are afraid of it.

At one time I would have said that the homosexual issue might have something to do with it, but it seems that there is no longer a "shock" involved with witnessing homosexual people. Society has grown accustomed to it. Same goes for women wearing trousers.

And it's not just men who wear skirts that fall in the prejudice. Lots of things do. I'm sure we can all think of a few items to make the list. I can, but I won't mention them because those issues are not what this thread is about.

The good news is that most of us, perhaps all of us live in a somewhat free society where the wearing of skirts, dresses, etc isn't illegal. Many of us can continue to live reasonably normal and productive lives while wearing what we want. Sometimes there is a little compromise involved with spouses, employers, etc.. but ahh... such is life I suppose. So as long as people like us continue to express our freedom and keep it civil then the over all atmosphere must eventually improve. Perhaps someday, the sight of a man in a skirt, even a feminine one wont be such a shocker.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

moonshadow wrote:At one time I would have said that the homosexual issue might have something to do with it,
Only the terminally ignorant think that a man in a skirt has anything to do with homosexuality. I currently work with three very out gay people and none of them wear skirts, not even the lesbian who cross-dresses male. :roll: There have been at least three more gay employees in past few years and only one of them dressed in a feminine style (but she was a woman :D )
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirted_in_SF wrote:Only the terminally ignorant
I don't know about you... but I'm seeing a lot of that going around. :lol:

Anyway, all jokes aside. These days I don't think most people associate homosexuality with that any longer. Transgender? Maybe. But also by the same token, most people seem to just accept it as part of a free society, even if they do have an issue with it.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have been wearing skirts more and more. I am beginning to think that the majority of the problems with men wearing skirts is in the mind of the skirt wearer. We grew up with a certain set of rules and standards.
Now we are changing the rules . It goes against what we considered the norm and we anticipate problems that don't actually exist.

You are always going to have apart of the population that feels they have the right to set your standards.

A little more public support such as a major clothing chain coming out with a men's skirt line would help.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:...I am beginning to think that the majority of the problems with men wearing skirts is in the mind of the skirt wearer...
Exactly. Congratulations. You've arrived.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:Now we are changing the rules . It goes against what we considered the norm and we anticipate problems that don't actually exist.

If we did not feel we have the right to go against the norms where would we be right now?? :think:
oldsalt1 wrote:You are always going to have a part of the population that feels they have the right to set your standards.

They only have that right "IF" you give it to them!! :doh:
oldsalt1 wrote:A little more public support such as a major clothing chain coming out with a men's skirt line would help.

Yes that would help but don't hold your breath as they are part of population that thinks they have the right tell you what you are allowed to wear. :faint:

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

"Yes that would help but don't hold your breath as they are part of population that thinks they have the right tell you what you are allowed to wear."

Mmm-hmm. Those folks are particularly fond of citing that gender division sartorially in The Book of Deuteronomy, ignoring the separation of Church and State, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd they respond with verbal abuse, physical violence and bullying resulting often times in drumming folks out of employment. How very Christian of them! Guess they missed that memo on TOLERANCE. Typically these are UPC members and their various offshoots (see Kim Davis)

If you're a male wearing a skirt, you are any and all of the below options:
1.) Gay (Nope. With the possible exception of John Barrowman, I would never get my end away with another gent. Maybe if we actually looked like Tom of Finland drawings, but in reality, we're hairy and balding in all the wrong places, by and large.)
2.) Trans (That one I don't mind as it's an umbrella term. Etymologically speaking, I crossed gender lines when I pulled on my black maxi this morning. Unfortunately I'm sharing that umbrella with Bruce Jenner (No thank you. My colleagues who are actually transitioning physically deserve a better public figure as representative than that freakshow).
3.) A paedophile (As strange as some of his outfits were, I NEVER saw Jimmy Savile in a skirt. Also, who wants to try climbing into a white windowless van in a long skirt? You're going to trip or at least do a number on the hemline in the attempt! )
4.) Mentally unstable I guess because gender lines are unstable? False analogy, I know, but there ya go.

Guess I'd best get into heteronormative mode and go do the wash now. Thought I'd put in my two bob.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Franinskirts wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:Now we are changing the rules . It goes against what we considered the norm and we anticipate problems that don't actually exist.

If we did not feel we have the right to go against the norms where would we be right now??
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” Frank Zappa
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

GothScot wrote: often times in drumming folks out of employment. How very Christian of them!
Yep....
-Andrea
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

And I'm pretty sure it's also out of envy. My bum looks better than theirs in a denim column skirt and I don't have to sew hankies into the walking slit. I'm flashing those stems, bay-beh! The ex says I've got great legs and who am I to argue?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

GothScot wrote:And I'm pretty sure it's also out of envy. My bum looks better than theirs in a denim column skirt and I don't have to sew hankies into the walking slit. I'm flashing those stems, bay-beh! The ex says I've got great legs and who am I to argue?
Yep... women want your legs, men want your confidence! It's say envy plays a big role whether they want to admit it or not!
-Andrea
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

SkirtRevolution wrote:.societies real problem is with men expressing themselves in anyway that is "associated" with femininity. Because society still see femininity as inferior and a man wanting to embrace femininity is somehow taking a step down.

I think the only way society will embrace skirts for men is when either of two things happen. 1. Skirts continue to be promoted as a mens garment until the skirts no longer carry the association with femininity, or 2. Society changes its attitude towards gender and accepts a more fluid idea of gender.
Or 3. People stop regarding females as the lesser sex, so get over the idea that expressing anything to do with "femininity" as being a problem for a male.
shawnk

Post by shawnk »

oldsalt1 wrote:I think that things are slowly changing. But not fast enough. A good example is earrings. In the not to distant past the thought of men wearing earrings was unheard of. I choose not to wear them. But if I see a man wearing them my only interest is the size and quality of the stones. with no consideration into who is wearing them.
I think we have progress with men carrying bags as well. There are stores marketing handbags to men, which is a step in the right direction. It's not anywhere near ubiquitous but the slow acceptance of men carrying a purse is something I welcome.