July 25 2016

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

July 25 2016

Post by moonshadow »

Marks one year of skirt ownership/wearing for Moon Shadow! :hooray:

No I didn't mark the day on my calendar last year, but I remember what I was doing when the charcoal grey Macabi arrived in the mail. That day I took a drive to Roan Mountain in Tennessee after stopping at the UPS box to get my first skirt. I took some photo's of Roan Mountain, and there is a date stamp on the photo.... that's how I remember.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Jenn had been told about it at some point that week, however she didn't know when it was going to arrive. And I didn't want to show it to her if it looked stupid on me. So I slipped it into one of the restrooms at the lookout on Roan Mountain. I was pleased with the look, however I wasn't quite ready for an outing yet so I slipped it back off and put my short pants back on.

I joined this site a few weeks later, and the content of my membership here pretty well chronicles my skirting adventures.

Over the last 12 months, it has been outed to my wife, my mother, my daughter, and later everyone at work. Looking back, the only thing I would change would be that I wished I had started sooner!

I didn't really loose any friends, as I really didn't have any to loose, but on the flip side, I think I've gained a few as a result. So looking at it from that angle, I'd say that being myself has led to positive results! I have made a fair number of online friends who share this practice. One who I have met (Dillon), and others on the list, Fred- hopefully in August, Caultron- hopefully next year, and one of these day's I'd like to meet Carl and shake his hand, as his frank advice has helped me through many-a-personal crisis in regards to this uncommon fashion choice.

The biggest thing I like to say here is a message to those reading this who have yet to muster of the courage. Maybe you are just a reader and not an active poster but it's directed towards YOU. This is being posted in one of the googleable forums as this is a bit of advice I'd like to share with everyone....

As my photo albums on flickr illustrate, I am not a very husky guy. I don't just wear "manly" skirts, in fact to date I have yet to wear a kilt. Many of my garments are downright girly, however I wear them for two reasons: because I love the style, and because I'm a FREE MAN. And as a free man, I feel I should not be hindered by the expectations of a populace that I don't even know, and that frankly could care less about my hide at any rate. Why do we work so hard to impress people we don't even know? Why do we strive to meet up to the expectations of society, which by it's very nature is a moving target? It seems therefore logical to me that we should only live up to our own expectations of our self!

If you're a casual web browser who only found this article because you googled "men who wear skirts is an abomination", then you can move on. Obviously this isn't for you. And that's fine. We all have a right to choose how we clad ourselves. If you think wearing skirts and dresses is stupid and dumb, then by all means keep wearing trousers... it's your choice! But for those who are curious about it, then don't let society's peer pressure hinder you. Be free!

When you're ready, go ahead and give it a go, because I'm here to tell you that the sky will not fall. In fact, when you present with confidence and pride in your outfit, you won't even notice the haters. Will there be haters? Sure there will. But when you think about it, lots of things stir feelings of hate and intolerance in people. I'm sure if you really think about it you can think of several examples. Off the top of my head some common things that get dirty looks in my neck of the woods are: Homosexual couples, interracial couples, and people who sag their pants. Next time you see any of these people in public, observe them: Do they look ashamed of themselves? No, generally they do not. And you shouldn't be either. You're not doing anything wrong.

If someone pulls out a cell phone to take a picture of you, smile and wave. Make sure the picture is fabulous!

In my experience nobody has laughed at me to my face. If you see someone, or group of people laughing at you from a distance, laugh back! They are the fools. I find it particularly hilarious when trouser wearing women laugh at me. I will let them see my eyes glance down to their trousers, and back up again as I smirk with an "uuhh... ooohhkkaaaaayy... look on my face... Then watch as that little sh!t eating giggle on their face turns to a look of mild anger and embarrassment being the butt of their own joke! :lol:

Anyway, the point is, be free with yourself! You never know when your days will end. We as a society never know when our liberties will cease. Enjoy everything life has to offer while you can. That's what I've taken from my year of male skirting.

Blessed Be,

Moon Shadow
Last edited by moonshadow on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Re: July 25 2015

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:Marks one year of skirt ownership/wearing for Moon Shadow! :hooray:

No I didn't mark the day on my calendar last year, but I remember what I was doing when the charcoal grey Macabi arrived in the mail. That day I took a drive to Roan Mountain in Tennessee after stopping at the UPS box to get my first skirt. I took some photo's of Roan Mountain, and there is a date stamp on the photo.... that's how I remember.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Jenn had been told about it at some point that week, however she didn't know when it was going to arrive. And I didn't want to show it to her if it looked stupid on me. So I slipped it into one of the restrooms at the lookout on Roan Mountain. I was pleased with the look, however I wasn't quite ready for an outing yet so I slipped it back off and put my short pants back on.

I joined this site a few weeks later, and the content of my membership here pretty well chronicles my skirting adventures.

Over the last 12 months, it has been outed to my wife, my mother, my daughter, and later everyone at work. Looking back, the only thing I would change would be that I wished I had started sooner!

I didn't really loose any friends, as I really didn't have any to loose, but on the flip side, I think I've gained a few as a result. So looking at it from that angle, I'd say that being myself has led to positive results! I have made a fair number of online friends who share this practice. One who I have met (Dillon), and others on the list, Fred- hopefully in August, Caultron- hopefully next year, and one of these day's I'd like to meet Carl and shake his hand, as his frank advice has helped me through many-a-personal crisis in regards to this uncommon fashion choice.

The biggest thing I like to say here is a message to those reading this who have yet to muster of the courage. Maybe you are just a reader and not an active poster but it's directed towards YOU. This is being posted in one of the googleable forums as this is a bit of advice I'd like to share with everyone....

As my photo albums on flickr illustrate, I am not a very husky guy. I don't just wear "manly" skirts, in fact to date I have yet to wear a kilt. Many of my garments are downright girly, however I wear them for two reasons: because I love the style, and because I'm a FREE MAN. And as a free man, I feel I should not be hindered by the expectations of a populace that I don't even know, and that frankly could care less about my hide at any rate. Why do we work so hard to impress people we don't even know? Why do we strive to meet up to the expectations of society, which by it's very nature is a moving target? It seems therefore logical to me that we should only live up to our own expectations of our self!

If you're a casual web browser who only found this article because you googled "men who wear skirts is an abomination", then you can move on. Obviously this isn't for you. And that's fine. We all have a right to choose how we clad ourselves. If you think wearing skirts and dresses is stupid and dumb, then by all means keep wearing trousers... it's your choice! But for those who are curious about it, then don't let society's peer pressure hinder you. Be free!

When you're ready, go ahead and give it a go, because I'm here to tell you that the sky will not fall. In fact, when you present with confidence and pride in your outfit, you won't even notice the haters. Will there be haters? Sure there will. But when you think about it, lots of things stir feelings of hate and intolerance in people. I'm sure if you really think about it you can think of several examples. Off the top of my head some common things that get dirty looks in my neck of the woods are: Homosexual couples, interracial couples, and people who sag their pants. Next time you see any of these people in public, observe them: Do they look ashamed of themselves? No, generally they do not. And you shouldn't be either. You're not doing anything wrong.

If someone pulls out a cell phone to take a picture of you, smile and wave. Make sure the picture is fabulous!

In my experience nobody has laughed at me to my face. If you see someone, or group of people laughing at you from a distance, laugh back! They are the fools. I find it particularly hilarious when trouser wearing women laugh at me. I will let them see my eyes glance down to their trousers, and back up again as I smirk with an "uuhh... ooohhkkaaaaayy... look on my face... Then watch as that little sh!t eating giggle on their face turns to a look of mild anger and embarrassment being the butt of their own joke! :lol:

Anyway, the point is, be free with yourself! You never know when your days will end. We as a society never know when our liberties will cease. Enjoy everything life has to offer while you can. That's what I've taken from my year of male skirting.

Blessed Be,

Moon Shadow

No I didn't know. You actually told me it was my Birthday gift when later I found out it had nothing to do with me. :P
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Moon no. We went to Bristol as you was expecting a package. I was sitting in the car and you parked and went inside. That was the day you got a huge box and I asked what it was you said it was my Birthday gift. We went back home you went in the bathroom called me in and said. I lied to you it wasn't a Birthday gift for you it is a skirt. I wanted to show you how I look in it. I saw it and liked it. You was skeptical about going out in it and I told you not to worry over what others think. Then the next day the 26th of July we went up to Roan Mountain where you walked up to the top and took pictures up at the tower. I remember this day better than you did haha :lol: :lol: :lol:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Marks one year of skirt ownership/wearing for Moon Shadow! :hooray:
Congratulations, Moon. It's really amazing how fast a year can fly by.

I got to thinking about it a few minutes ago, and I'm rapidly approaching a decade and a half of wearing skirts -- and still sorry I hadn't discovered the joys earlier.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

JennC03 wrote:Moon no. We went to Bristol as you was expecting a package. I was sitting in the car and you parked and went inside. That was the day you got a huge box and I asked what it was you said it was my Birthday gift. We went back home you went in the bathroom called me in and said. I lied to you it wasn't a Birthday gift for you it is a skirt. I wanted to show you how I look in it. I saw it and liked it. You was skeptical about going out in it and I told you not to worry over what others think. Then the next day the 26th of July we went up to Roan Mountain where you walked up to the top and took pictures up at the tower. I remember this day better than you did haha :lol: :lol: :lol:
At least you can laugh at his thinly veiled deception a year on... :lol:

The key is to just be ourselves. Those who matter dont mind, and those who mind don't matter :mrgreen:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

When I first started to wear skirts it was in the house only. I soon became so used to wearing them that an accidental outing to the post office made me realize that nobody cared. :cheers: I too wish I had started to wear skirts many years ago. Now I do not wear anything else but skirts, the pants and shorts are packed away at the back of the closet. :lol: What I wear with my skirts varies from sport shirts to womens tank tops. I also wear dresses during the winter months as they are heavier and keep me warm. I do not worry about who sees me or what they have to say about what I wear, it is none of their business. :dance: I have worn my skirts to the mall and downtown in the bible belt towns nearby and nothing but smiles from most of the people I see. Most don't even notice what I am wearing. So my advice to one and all is get out there and enjoy the pleasures of skirt wearing!!

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Why do we work so hard to impress people we don't even know? Why do we strive to meet up to the expectations of society, which by it's very nature is a moving target?
I believe that these are two discrete thoughts, and really should be treated so.

The first may well speak to our innate desire to be accepted by those around us, but also at another level speaks to what we may be doing as agents of change. When we head out the front door in our skirts, whether we like it or not, we are being judged by "society"; I know in my case I'd rather be judged as a compelling image of what's possible and not as some sort of freak. Maybe that's vanity; I don't know. But it is what I'd prefer.

In the second, we're largely wasting our time unless we want to, lemming-like, follow the herd-mentality that humans seem to get into when times are tough. In this, we have a choice -- a conscious choice -- we must make: either follow the herd or strike off on a different path. From personal experience, I've found that "the path less chosen" is usually more interesting and peopled with folks who are more likely to be free-thinkers than those who always "take the motorway". Life is astonishingly short, and is "subject to surprises". To live it to its fullest we must sometimes undertake daring and unexpected decisions, and paths. But this brings us back to the other point: When we do so, should we not attempt to pull receptive folks along with us on that "path less travelled" by setting a compelling example?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: July 25 2016

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Happy Anniversary Moonshadow!

Jenn, I'm making a bunch of assumptions here, but I think the limb I'm climbing out on is pretty sturdy, you're a person of near universal admiration and envy in this forum for your open-mindedness and supportiveness. My congratulations to you too; Moon couldn't have gotten to where he is without you.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Happy Anniversary Moonshadow!

Jenn, I'm making a bunch of assumptions here, but I think the limb I'm climbing out on is pretty sturdy, you're a person of near universal admiration and envy in this forum for your open-mindedness and supportiveness. My congratulations to you too; Moon couldn't have gotten to where he is without you.

Thank you that means a lot to me.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Moon, you have come a long way in just a year. I am heading to my 3rd summer of skirt wearing (2nd really for public) and am no where near as adventurous as you for freedom of style.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Congratulations on a year. Great post! Very well written.

People who have never tried a skirt, have no idea how awesome wearing one is!!!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Congrats. My 14th anniversary of public skirting was on February 14th. Interestingly enough, July 25th, 1991 was when I bought myself a Nikon FM2 film camera. Used that thing for almost 13 years. Still have one, but, not the same one.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Thanks everyone!

One nice thing about having this pretty much under my belt (somewhat of a pointless term these days! :lol: ), is how comfortable I am just going out and about in whatever I want to wear. In fact, strange as it sounds, I feel more self conscious when I'm wearing trousers... which anymore is basically if I stop somewhere on my way home from work while I'm still wearing my work trousers. I'm genuinely happier and at peace with myself when I'm wearing what I want to wear and expressing myself freely.

I smile a lot, especially when I enter a place with "bad vibes", and the best part is, it's no longer a "forced smile". It's for real. Because I know the real reason why those "haters" have an issue with my clothing... it's because they can't control me and that bothers the hell out of them.

The fact that these people can no longer control me, and that I have taken control of my own life is the reason for my genuine smile!

I think that's really what it comes down to. I've done a lot of thinking over the last several weeks about current events and happenings. And I've concluded that most of our problems as a society really comes down to some people controlling others. Everyone's opinion on virtually anything normally falls on the lines of what someone thinks is appropriate, and if someone lives their life contrary to that notion, then out come the haters with their "thou shall nots".

But the fact is, as with anything regarding opinion: It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks... let them rant and complain, we're in charge of our own bodies. If they have an issue with it... they can go on somewhere! :P Opinions are virtually worthless anymore anyway... who cares what people say??

It tickles me when someone ask "well don't you worry about what people might say or think", and I reply... "nope!"

I watch as they're like "wha....wha...whaaa...whaaaaa!!?!?!!?" with an expression of UTTER confusion on their face! :lol:

GASP! How can one survive and not worry constantly about what people might say!!! Du-du-dooooooone! :shock:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.