My First Mini - My OH Reaction "OMG it's Ugly"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
mikel

My First Mini - My OH Reaction "OMG it's Ugly"

Post by mikel »

When I tried on my mini she said "That's for young kids", "You're not going outside in that" and "You got ugly legs" Well what's with my legs, I didn't think that you cared how my legs look. I didn't know whether to be hurt :) or surprised. So I tried to come up with a logical explanation. I know, it doesn't always work with the tender sex! I said "Men have ugly legs". We have muscles bulging from our calf's, knobby knees, uneven patches of hair, and possible disfigurement from a lifetime of hard work! I have one knee that was cut with a chain saw and the other one swollen from overuse and laparoscopic surgery. Surprised by her reaction YES since she loves how I look in a kilt and tolerates my other "knee-length skirts".

I didn't think that gals look at guys legs. On the other hand, I love the look of a gals legs that curve seamlessly from ankles to hips. How a tight skirt defines her leg shape. How her legs move with the movement of her hips. How her legs a smooth and glossy. Yea I'm a leg guy :D

Maybe some of us on the forum have great looking legs. I tend to look only at the great outfits, coordinated colors and comfort.
legs pic for Mike L 2016-07-16.JPG
Anyhow yes, my legs are ugly as you can see in the picture. I still love my new mini.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added pic for mikel
mikel

Re: My First Mini - My OH Reaction "OMG it's Ugly"

Post by mikel »

Why can't I see the picture I uploaded?
Mike
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Mikel,
Oh yes the girls, and some guys, evaluate your legs! I've had multi comments from both.
Aesthetically, your legs are unique to you and "ugly", like "beauty", is in the the eye of the beholder.
That is not gender exclusive, we come in all shapes and sizes.
As for the mini skirt this may be a downer. If she has given you good advice re. other skirts, she is probably right about this. The simple fact is that the mini does not work on everyone. Again, gender regardless!
The picture, no idea.
Steve.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I'm lucky my wife and daughter are very jealous of my legs just so long as I can keep two 10inch scares unseen on my right thigh, so my skirts have to be at least ten inches long. The lower part of my legs and knees would put most womens legs to shame, smooth without shaving. My wife hates it.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

mikel wrote:Why can't I see the picture I uploaded?
Mike
Did you click on a spot below your typing "and" click
place in-line? If you didn't click on the 2nd part, the
pic will not show up. ( D.T.D.T. ;) )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

mikel wrote:When I tried on my mini she said "That's for young kids", "You're not going outside in that" and "You got ugly legs" Well what's with my legs, I didn't think that you cared how my legs look. I didn't know whether to be hurt :) or surprised. So I tried to come up with a logical explanation. I know, it doesn't always work with the tender sex! I said "Men have ugly legs". We have muscles bulging from our calf's, knobby knees, uneven patches of hair, and possible disfigurement from a lifetime of hard work! I have one knee that was cut with a chain saw and the other one swollen from overuse and laparoscopic surgery. Surprised by her reaction YES since she loves how I look in a kilt and tolerates my other "knee-length skirts".

I didn't think that gals look at guys legs. On the other hand, I love the look of a gals legs that curve seamlessly from ankles to hips. How a tight skirt defines her leg shape. How her legs move with the movement of her hips. How her legs a smooth and glossy. Yea I'm a leg guy :D

Maybe some of us on the forum have great looking legs. I tend to look only at the great outfits, coordinated colors and comfort.

Anyhow yes, my legs are ugly as you can see in the picture. I still love my new mini.

Mike
I think we naturally think girls look great in mini skirts for obvious reasons, even the Daily Mail would struggle to pen an article on a guy's "endless legs enhanced by a cute mini skirt" :roll: though with knee-length denim pencil skirts girls don't mind, perhaps the connection between denim as a tough material and the fact straight skirts look more like shorts of a similar length.

Would love to see the pictures of said skirt. The fact she doesn't mind you in other length skirts is something a lot of us on this site would beg for. There's acceptance of my kilts, denim skirts thst are knee length are put up with, but the formal pencil skirt makes her feel uneasy. Perhaps its the combination of the tights and cute shoes that makes her jealous of how my tight skirt shows off my bum and clings to my thighs as I walk :eye:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

When you wear a skirt, people are going to check out your legs. That's just the way it is.

Part of the problem with this particular skirt may be it's tightness. This accentuates the fact that you're apparently not a skinny guy. Something with more room might work better. Try to keep length greater than width.

Dark opaque tights may be worth a try.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I think Caultron's nailed it. Looking at your photo I thought that, except for your knees, your legs had the kind of shape women admire. Colored tights will mask your knees and probably make your legs look great.

I get lots of compliments on my legs and I have very knobby knees and large, muscular calves. Support hose do a good job of smoothing my legs out.

Be forewarned, if you do start wearing pantyhose or tights, they won't stay up unless you shave your legs.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The file size that can be uploaded is also limited. If you go through the steps and the file is too large, it will tell you that. You can edit the photo (Paint is a useful editor and usually on most PCs) or you can change the camera settings to the smallest (e.g email sized) pixels and take the pics again.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Nice skirt! Looks fine to me! I have a khaki like that, although it is tight round my thighs it is a knee length pencil skirt. Sensible underwear will do the trick
mikel

Post by mikel »

Thanks for the comments guys. My wife reaction now makes sense. Some of us do not have the legs to wear a mini. I have skirts that run about 2 inches above the knee and have not got any kickback from my wife(The Fashion Police). So I'll follow her advice. You know "Happy wife--happy life".

Caultron, I like your suggestion about wearing dark tights. I have opaque tights that I wear during the Fall and Winter. I refuse to wear tights during the Summer and Spring. This Summer is will be a scorcher according to the weather forecasts. It's not a big deal to put away my Mini for the colder weather. Up here in the North Country, Summer only lasts 2 months. Not overweight by any stretch. I have particularly muscular thighs from exercise and genetic makeup. I am only 155lbs with a 32 inch waist. I keep active like you. I'm a X-country and Alpine ski instructor. During the warm months I volunteer in adaptive sports; bicycling and hiking.

Cheers
Mike from NH
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

mikel wrote:Thanks for the comments guys. My wife reaction now makes sense. Some of us do not have the legs to wear a mini. I have skirts that run about 2 inches above the knee and have not got any kickback from my wife(The Fashion Police). So I'll follow her advice. You know "Happy wife--happy life".

Caultron, I like your suggestion about wearing dark tights. I have opaque tights that I wear during the Fall and Winter. I refuse to wear tights during the Summer and Spring. This Summer is will be a scorcher according to the weather forecasts. It's not a big deal to put away my Mini for the colder weather. Up here in the North Country, Summer only lasts 2 months. Not overweight by any stretch. I have particularly muscular thighs from exercise and genetic makeup. I am only 155lbs with a 32 inch waist. I keep active like you. I'm a X-country and Alpine ski instructor. During the warm months I volunteer in adaptive sports; bicycling and hiking.

Cheers
Mike from NH
My kilts are 24" drop or 24" long, generally all my skirts are knee-length pencil, I just like the style and the way the skirt shows off my legs, and is a snug fit. My shortest pencil skirt is 19 inch, which is great for summer. I generally buy them at the knee, (rise above the knee when sat, even more when I cross my legs :mrgreen: ), 27" ones for winter. Denim ones are more my style over the formal ones. I am a 32 inch waist, 10 or 12 depending on the skirt designer.

Post some pics of your entire ensemble so we can get a general idea of how it looks :wink: :roll:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mikel wrote:,..Not overweight by any stretch. I have particularly muscular thighs from exercise and genetic makeup. I am only 155lbs with a 32 inch waist. I keep active like you. I'm a X-country and Alpine ski instructor. During the warm months I volunteer in adaptive sports; bicycling and hiking...
Sorry, it must've been the muscular development that threw me off. I couldn't see the rest of you in the photo.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Mikel your knees and legs may be "ugly" but I will challenge anyone here to state that they have not seen worse on a female, tights/pantyhose or not. All that really matters is that you are comfortable, confident and enjoying what you are wearing. If you are missing any of these it will only become an ordeal. If your not enjoying what you have on or your not comfortable in it then you will not have the confidence to be able to go through with it. The skirt is a bit on the short side for me but if you like it then I say more power to you.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Next opportunity take a look at an "A" frame (skaters) skirt you and the other half might be pleasantly surprised !
Avoid bright colors - stay away from pink poodle skirts - you made the right choice with the brown - but see if Khaki works better.
And now for the next stage of introduction - - - going beyond family critical inspection !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !