Your basic black skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Your basic black skirt

Post by oldsalt1 »

i am sure there are a few shops tucked in in some of the more progressive areas. And your right it is most likely men's fashions that have been adapted to women's ware.
I think that in order for there to be any real impact, I t would have to be a major chain like sears , even if it started out as a small department in the store. Another way would be to work on the suppliers that supply the stores to come up with a line.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Headbands are one traditionally female item that is now considered unisex, and I see some Filipino male teenagers wear them.
らき☆
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

UA, the first link just took me to a general screen to say that Sears are now sending to the UK but the second link worked and indicted that the skirt is now down to $8.39 which may generate a bit more interest, down from $40. No matter, I get the principle.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

The store can't start as a self standing entity. with no public support it would plug along for a while than go bust. It has to start as a department in a major chain sears penneys kohls. Yes some of the fashion houses are showing some models with skirts but the outfits are so far out That a man who is thinking about wearing a skirt would never buy them.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

That first link is not my skirt. That's a "plus" size. Mine is "regular" fit, size 16.
I think this is it.
http://www.kmart.com/laura-scott-women- ... A87277012P
Notice the price is the same, $15.99. K-Mart and Sears are under the same ownership.
Mine is black, but they also had navy blue denim and khaki.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:But you would think that with all the buzz about transgender rights etc that someone would come out with if not men"s skirts at least unisex clothing .
I wouldn't imagine that a trans-woman would want to shop for a men's skirt. I'll venture the notion that most trans-women want the full "woman" experience, and that includes shopping in the women's department. Unisex clothes would align more with gender fluid people (yes I'm aware gender fluid falls under transgender, but that's not my point). But generally, if you're already calling yourself gender fluid... then once again, a trip to the women's side of the aisle isn't going to be a big deal... at least it isn't for me.

No... labeling a skirt "unisex" or "men's" is strictly for those macho men who are afraid or too insecure to wear anything with the dreaded "WOMENS" tag on the back.

And sorry Carl, but I don't think a misplaced clothing rack is going to do it.... No, it's going to take a total paradigm shift in western culture to make men's skirts a reality. But you're right... it all starts with people like us, one at a time, wearing our outfits with pride! Rigid gender roles are coming down. I'd say in another generation or two, most everyone will be able to express themselves however they want.

...hopefully!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Keshava

Post by Keshava »

Check out skirtcraft. Little pricey, but excellent quality. Skirt designed for a man by a man.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Apart from the label, what makes a skirt a "man's skirt"?

You'll only convince the public that you are not cross-dressing if you also wear a t-shirt with the words "This is not a woman's skirt" with an arrow pointing down.

And even then ...

Martin (unlabeled, unafraid !)
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Couya wrote:Apart from the label, what makes a skirt a "man's skirt"?

You'll only convince the public that you are not cross-dressing if you also wear a t-shirt with the words "This is not a woman's skirt" with an arrow pointing down.

And even then ...

Martin (unlabeled, unafraid !)
Yea in North America anything without an inseam is considered a womans skirt pretty much.
Even if it is a kilt, Skirtcraft skirt, Longyi, Sarong, Utilikilt,or homemade by a man for a man.
Every one pretty much equates no inseam = womans garment.

My wife refers to my kilt as a skirt, or some times my Legal skirt.
Why does everyone get so bent out of shape when there is an absence of an inseam?

I will keep working on her gently, wore my kilt in front of her for first time last Friday.
Thankyou Celtic Thunder for putting men in kilts on TV :)

Mishawaka
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Keshava wrote:Check out skirtcraft. Little pricey, but excellent quality. Skirt designed for a man by a man.
I wore mine to work today. 8)
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Bravo for you Stuart! That's a big move!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
Keshava wrote:Check out skirtcraft. Little pricey, but excellent quality. Skirt designed for a man by a man.
I wore mine to work today.
How'd it go?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Bravo for you Stuart! That's a big move!
Not all that brave, I've worn a skirt to work (including the Skirtcraft once or twice) at least once a month for a year.
Normally I wear on casual Fridays (I wear a suit and tie the other four days), but it was finally warm in SF - mid to upper 80s F. Too warm for a suit, perfect for a skirt. It was forecast to be warm again today so I wore my mid-calf length twill skirt. I work with a male dressing lesbian woman and I joked with her: "Amy, it's too warm for pants, you should get a skirt". She laughed. The fog came back this evening so it's going to back to a suit tomorrow.

To get back closer to the original post, I have a long black skirt that I considered for today but I see too much black on the streets today. My twill, even though it is khaki, isn't black at least. :)
Stuart Gallion
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Stuart,

Now that you're wearing a skirt on casual Fridays and on days too hot for slacks, you've outgrown your tagline.

Besides you have your beautiful, fun city's reputation to uphold! :wink:
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Stuart,

Now that you're wearing a skirt on casual Fridays and on days too hot for slacks, you've outgrown your tagline.

Besides you have your beautiful, fun city's reputation to uphold! :wink:
I'll be retiring in a week (aka self-unemployed) and intend to be skirted in all but the worst weather. You're right, time to update the signature line. 8)
Stuart Gallion