Re - One in one out, well sort of.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Re - One in one out, well sort of.

Post by johnb »

With a growing number of skirts in my collection, I decided that when I recently brought a denim skirt on Ebay, that one I'd previously brought in a different style, but seldom worn, partly because it had no pockets, should go to a charity shop. Well the other day I went up the town, and gave the said skirt to the first charity shop I came to. I then went on to do some other shopping. I saw that BHS had a closing down sale on and so I went in for a browse. I found a polo shirt that I liked and put it in the basket, then I went through the women's section where I spotted a denim skirt that I also liked the look of, in my size (18) for £12. Having first walked away, I ended up going back and buying that too !

John
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Re - One in one out, well sort of.

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Ah yes the dangers of thrift stores. I have done similar. I recently donated a couple of skirts back to the thrift store, that were not really my size. I could wear them but they were on the tight side, its amazing how much one size varies, I have had size 18 skirts too tight, :cry: just right, :o and so loose I need a belt. :? I have one that's a size 16 that fits perfectly. :?:
Anyways, I redonated two of them and then I think I have bought four more in the month since. I think I have at least 10 skirts and one kilt now. If I keep this up I will have more skirts than jeans, finding a nice, well fitting jean skirt is like finding buryed treasure.I love the thrill of the hunt. :) I still wear skirts in private. I SO wish the wife was on board, I'm running out of hiding spaces for them. :(

Mishwakaskirt. @2wayskirt on Twitter
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...I still wear skirts in private. I SO wish the wife was on board, I'm running out of hiding spaces for them...
You need to get your wife on board at some point, preferably soon. If she discovers your hiding place the situation can get really messy.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:You need to get your wife on board at some point, preferably soon. If she discovers your hiding place the situation can get really messy.
Absolutely. Not at least informing her of what's going on is playing with fire. Keeping secrets is always a recipe for disaster.

Once she knows she'll either come on board of her own volition or not. If she does, that's great. If she doesn't, at least the elephant is out in the open and can be discussed, hopefully, rationally.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

crfriend wrote:
Caultron wrote:You need to get your wife on board at some point, preferably soon. If she discovers your hiding place the situation can get really messy.
Absolutely. Not at least informing her of what's going on is playing with fire. Keeping secrets is always a recipe for disaster.

Once she knows she'll either come on board of her own volition or not. If she does, that's great. If she doesn't, at least the elephant is out in the open and can be discussed, hopefully, rationally.
Caultron and crfriend, I guess some clarifcation is needed, my wife of 13 years knows I shop and wear clothing from across the isle, she tolerates my few pairs of ladies jeans, and cotton panty briefs. As long as they are plain, and are in male colors. ( I had a pair that came in the package that had flowers on them, that was kinda fun untill she cut them up) for the most part she is pretty tolerant. I prefer wearing plain modest stuff. No designer stitching, embelishments or things that would even suggest ladies, I have laid them out along side my mens jeans, and can't tell any diffrence from them and the male version. What I like about them Is they are the right length, I am.short at 5'6" for a man. Also I prefer the roomyness in the seat and thighs while not having to.wear a belt to keep up your jeans. Sorry about the digression. Back to the skirts, the topic at hand she knows I have skirts, she don't know how many, or what kind, nor does she want to know or see them. I feel that as long as she don't see or know about regular skirting there will be peace.
My wife has only hissed at me a few times in our marriage, the other times I deserved it. Then there was time I tried to suggest me getting a kilt, and the time she found my plain denim skirt, a few weeks back.

Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...Back to the skirts, the topic at hand she knows I have skirts, she don't know how many, or what kind, nor does she want to know or see them. I feel that as long as she don't see or know about regular skirting there will be peace...
Well, at least she knows about your skirts and the two of you have some sort of agreement about them. So if she finds them, she won't be surprised. Or maybe she knows where you keep them and prefers not to look here.

I know you said you only wear them in private, but what does that mean? Like, only when you're home alone, or in public but some distance from home, or what?

You may be able to achieve some further acceptance slowly over time. Start with the women's apparely she can stand and slowly, perhaps over a period of years, work from there,

I have an agreement with my wife that it's OK to wear skirts, tights, heels, and a bag except for three situations: when we're out together, when I'm taking a neighborhood walk that begins and ends at the house, and at church services. But I keep gently pushing. Two years in a row, she's accepted my wearing a utility kilt while we're out having dinner for my birthday. Still no acceptance for Father's Day, St. Patrick's day, or St. Andrew's day, but I keep gently pushing.

Holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter are OK as long as we're not going out together.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...My wife has only hissed at me a few times in our marriage, the other times I deserved it. Then there was time I tried to suggest me getting a kilt, and the time she found my plain denim skirt, a few weeks back.
What became of those situations, then? Like, was it, "If you want to to that on your own time, that's your business, but I don't want to see it or know about it?"

Which, of course, she does already know about it, but maybe as long as you try to be discreet she'll be OK with it on some level, even if by unexpected chance something about it gets back to her. She still might get angry about it, but at least it won't be a complete surprise.

Do you ever travel away from home, like for work or some hobby?

caultron
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Two in. Zero out.

Went to the Goodwill the other day.

Bought an off white skortish thing, has a apron on front like kilt, but in back they look like shorts, so maby its not a true skort?
And I bought a ankle length middle brown kakis skirt. Not that I need the stretch, but it has the stretchy cotton/ spandex blend. Kinda cool, why don't they make mens pants with the stretchy fabric? Happy with both of them, I gotta stop shopping for skirts, I'm becomming a skirted clothes horse. :bom: No two skirts I have are alike, unlike my trousers. If I keepthis up, I am going to have more skirts than tousers and shorts.

Mishawakaskirt. @2wayskirt on Twitter

dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Two in. Zero out.

Went to the Goodwill the other day.

Bought an off white skortish thing, has a apron on front like kilt, but in back they look like shorts, so maby its not a true skort?
And I bought a ankle length middle brown kakis skirt. Not that I need the stretch, but it has the stretchy cotton/ spandex blend. Kinda cool, why don't they make mens pants with the stretchy fabric? Happy with both of them, I gotta stop shopping for skirts, I'm becomming a skirted clothes horse. :bom: No two skirts I have are alike, unlike my trousers. If I keepthis up, I am going to have more skirts than tousers and shorts.

Mishawakaskirt. @2wayskirt on Twitter
I have heard others on here call those "skorts" but I think I would call it apron shorts. It's not like any skort I've ever bought. I've never seen one except online.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Two in. Zero out. If I keep this up, I am going to have more skirts than trousers and shorts. Mishawakaskirt. @2wayskirt on Twitter

I already have a lot more skirts than trousers in my closet. :cheers: Since I have stopped wearing pants and now wear skirts exclusively. :dance: I just bought another one today.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:I have heard others on here call those "skorts" but I think I would call it apron shorts. It's not like any skort I've ever bought. I've never seen one except online.
The "apron-front shorts" look was actually the original incarnation of the "skort". Think back a half-century.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

opps I did it again.

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Well I gone and done it again, couldn't stay off of Ebay.
I ended up with another denim skirt.
I have to stop this. :(
But I don't want too ;)
Why do skirts have to be so fun?

Mishawakaskirt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.