Utilikilt Alterations

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Utilikilt Alterations

Post by Wonderful Electric »

A friend of mine has 2 utilikilts for me that I can wear with some alterations. They are waist size 33 and 38 inches. I wear a 30 and obviously it's too much of a difference to just wear a belt! Is it practical and worth taking a risk with a tailor? Has anyone had experience with this kind of situation before? How well does a utilikilt take alterations? Is this cost effective with the high price of new utilikilts?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Utilikilt Alterations

Post by r.m.anderson »

While I have not had the alterations that you are contemplating - the Cardinal Rule still applies:

You can make a large kilt smaller but nay you will not make a smaller kilt bigger * !

*Using existing material !

With the larger kilt you simply remove a pleat (or two) or do what is done with women's wear install
a couple of well placed darts to trim the waist line to fit. The hips and circumference of the hem line
do not really need to altered - but if reducing a pleat it is taken care of - in the case of placing darts
in the waist then expect the hem line to be more "A" frame but not as radical as making a skater
skirt out of the kilt.

Now as for the smaller kilt to be made larger something in the kilt must be added to accommodate
the need for a size larger. Adding a pleat or two either with a matching tartan insert or plain or
contrasting panel may do the trick - but beware that the entire length must be considered least a
pencil type skirt/kilt be made in the process.

The thing to remember is the balance of the length of the kilt of the wearer to waist. Any adjustments
to a pleated area and the alterations expense may be trouble some because to do the job right
requires a sewing machine called the serger which does multiple functions at the same time professionally.

With a utilikilt not so much a problem but to make it right the serger should be considered to make the
hem look professionally finished and not something hap hazzardly sewn together like emergency repairs
done in the Australian Outback after Crocodile Dundee's encounter with same.

So the issue becomes one of affordability - given enough money thrown at the tailor project anything
is possible. Remember only three alterations are necessary - Waist - Length - Hem Circumference.

Suggestions would be to consider deleting the buckled straps - adding Velcro closing of the front waist to
make the waist more adjustable without the need for waist belts and speed in putting the kilt on.
With the 33 inch kilt - suggestion to remove the kilt buckles and belts install a Velcro waist and use a
large waist belt to snug to fit.
The 38 inch kilt will be more of a task - suggestion to remove about 2.5 inches of material on both sides
of the kilt and then use the above Velcro waist idea. No radical surgery required simply removing the
2.5 inches on both sides straight from Waist to Hem removing the buckled belts and straps. Get estimates
from sewing people and alternate solutions keeping it simple clean of clutter and ultra functional !

Also another Cardinal Rule - (Carpenters measurements) - "Measure twice and cut once" - making the alterations !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Thank you for your response! You must have some experience with sewing I imagine. I was in contact with several tailors and mass messaged them quite easily through Yelp. No one knows what to do and just said they wanted to see it in person. Thanks for all the info. I have a better starting place now
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Personally, I'ld contact Utilikits in Seattle.
They are the professionals who originally
made the kilt. They may be willing to alter
the kilt for a nominal fee plus shipping.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Wonderful Electric wrote:... Is it practical and worth taking a risk with a tailor?
A professional tailor will be able to tell you how practical it is, they won't risk starting a job that mightn't work.
I was in contact with several tailors and mass messaged them quite easily through Yelp. No one knows what to do and just said they wanted to see it in person.

If any of them offered to do the job without seeing it first, that would be the last one I should allow anywhere near it.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Wonderful Electric wrote:A friend of mine has 2 utilikilts for me that I can wear with some alterations. They are waist size 33 and 38 inches. I wear a 30 and obviously it's too much of a difference to just wear a belt! Is it practical and worth taking a risk with a tailor? Has anyone had experience with this kind of situation before? How well does a utilikilt take alterations? Is this cost effective with the high price of new utilikilts?
I suggest speaking in person with a reputable local tailor on this. Show them the kilts and see what they say. They may not have experience with kilts per se, but I'm sure they'll have plenty of experience altering skirts and that's transferable.

I had two inches taken off the waist of two utilit kilts and my local tailor did just fine.

Nocking a 38 down to a 30 might be awkward, though. See what they say.

Finally, be aware that you can buy utility kilts on eBay, etsy, and www.utkilts.com for as little as $50. The original Utilikilts brand is just about the most expensive of all.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

I got in touch with a competent tailor who said that alterations would be $150 a garment! I should just buy new at that point! Also I learned that utilikilts has a trade in program where they give 10-25% off towards new purchases but they don't do alterations themselves.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Wonderful Electric wrote:I got in touch with a competent tailor who said that alterations would be $150 a garment! I should just buy new at that point! Also I learned that utilikilts has a trade in program where they give 10-25% off towards new purchases but they don't do alterations themselves.
Try somewhere else. I think I paid about $20.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

Wonderful Electric wrote:I got in touch with a competent tailor who said that alterations would be $150 a garment! I should just buy new at that point! Also I learned that utilikilts has a trade in program where they give 10-25% off towards new purchases but they don't do alterations themselves.
This sounds like the best of all worlds.

My wife makes one-of-a-kind garments using Indian saris that she buys on eBay. She knows that she cannot charge enough to balance the time she spends, but she enjoys it, and learns something new on each garment, and gets a kick out of the enjoyment that her customers get. So for her it's worth it. But in general, alterations can be much more expensive than the original garment if the person doing them charges anything approximating a reasonable rate for their time.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Like buying a car piece by piece - the sum of the parts exceeds the MFG original invoice sales price !
AND the TAXES Holy Molly !
Reason to keep an ole clunker until the time is right !

Recycle and keep clothing in good repair and consider other options.
Sometimes NEW is better than other options - trade or resell the ole tank to at least minimize the loss.
When buying NEW keep the (design) bells buzzers whistles at a plain jane level.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !