Pics and looks

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Karl

Pics and looks

Post by Karl »

Every time I take a pic with my phone it seems too big to upload on this site. I have cropped them but then they don't show what the pic was intended to show because they are to closely zoomed in
And advice
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pics and looks

Post by RichardA »

If it's showing “stockings and suspender belt” I wouldn’t bother as we don't do that sort of thing here, maybe you should join a TV site.
Karl

Post by Karl »

No it doesn't
It's just me in a skirt
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Karl wrote:Every time I take a pic with my phone it seems too big to upload on this site. I have cropped them but then they don't show what the pic was intended to show because they are to closely zoomed in
And advice
You have to shrink the photo to a fewer number of pixels. I use Photoshop for that but there are many other programs you can use as well.

Where are you trying to upload the photo from? A PC? A Mac? An iPhone? Android? ...?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

Karl wrote:Every time I take a pic with my phone it seems too big to upload on this site. I have cropped them but then they don't show what the pic was intended to show because they are to closely zoomed in
And advice
The file size of an image comes from both the dimensions of the image and the resolution. A 1 inch by 1 inch image at a resolution of 1200 pixels per inch produces the same file size as a 17 by 17 inch image at a resolution of 72 pixels per inch. For those of us viewing the image on our computers, 72 pixels per inch is fine.

Cropping the image only addresses the first factor. Check whatever you're using to edit the image and see if you can reduce the resolution at the same time.

Side comment: One of the sure signs of a novice web designer is a page that has huge images that are rendered in the page as tiny. What happens in these cases is that the huge file must be uploaded to the browser, which then throws away almost all of it to render the tiny image.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

Orange Apple wrote: The file size of an image comes from both the dimensions of the image and the resolution.
It occurs to me that there's a third factor. JPEG images are saved with different levels of quality, which translates to more or less compression when the file is created. This can make a huge difference, both in the size of the file and the quality of the image.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks I will try using my camera instead of the phone and see if it's better
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Karl, I use IrfanView, which is free, as I have used it before in genealogical research. In the main you need to shrink the file size to, I think 256k, and this is easily done in irfanView. All the photos I have posted were done this way.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.