Does skirting help you relax

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Does skirting help you relax

Post by pelmut »

When I first started wearing a skirt in public, I couldn't relax completely because I was a bit wary of possible negative reactions; but soon I discovered there weren't any. I actually got more 'funny' comments when I wore a kilt.

Now I have worn skirts non-stop for over two years, I am not just completely relaxed, but I feel more at peace with myself than when I wore trousers. People see me as less of a threat and are more friendly and co-operative; it takes very little effort to be accepted by women in a way which never happened when I wore trousers. Occasionally I even get compliments - from women on the skirt itself and from men on having the guts to wear it.

I suspect some of this may not just be caused by the appearance of the skirt, but is because of the effect it has on me and the effect that has on the people I meet.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

pelmut wrote: I suspect some of this may not just be caused by the appearance of the skirt, but is because of the effect it has on me and the effect that has on the people I meet.
This is an interesting observation. As a man wearing a skirt, how much of the reaction we get is "There is a man wearing a skirt" and how much is "There is a relaxed/brave/interesting man."

This says to me that if you want to blend into the crowd, don't wear a skirt. But when you do, you're sending a message. The message is interpreted differently by different people. The majority of them will have a positive reaction along the lines of perceiving someone who might be interesting to know.

But then again, we are all sending a message, all the time, and we are reading the messages sent by the people we come in contact with.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

P1110367sc.jpg
P1110378sc-1.jpg
Sunshine and being with friends helps too :mrgreen:
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jeanfor »

For me wearing kilts, kilted skirts and skirts has become routine and natural. I wear them like I do wear pants....
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

When I first started it was all about the adrenaline. The rush of getting out there in something bold. Now I can still do that, every so often. I find that my first skirts are quite routine, and now I wear stuff a little more flamboyant. Hem lines went up and up and up, then I added tops, shoes, painted nails, etc. I seldom get the nervous adrenaline rush like I used too. Now I just wear them because they are fun, and I like the way I look in them. Oh, and of course, comfort still plays a role.

So yeah... they help me relax. Nothing is better at the end of the day than PEELING off a hot sweaty pair of work trousers and slipping into a nice cool flowy skirt and standing over a floor register with the AC on!

I love it when someone ask me about my skirts and why I wear them. I love cutting up and carrying on. I love biking with a skirt on.

And I kind a love the fact that not many people do this as openly as I do. Sure it would be nice if more men wore skirts as it would help with potential harassment/discrimination issues, but on the flip side... if everyone did it, it would loose some of what makes it special for me.

On the flip side, I have struggled with a little bit of bitterness with the world in regards to my skirt wearing. The situation I had at work, my colleagues, and my mother has soured me somewhat. But as I put more and more time in between now and when they first found out I'm finding that those ill feelings are slowly fading away, and I'm left to be able to enjoy the clothes I love freely.

I will say it's no longer just about "sticking it to the man" anymore. I just wear them because it's just what I do now.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I'm not sure it helps me relax because I wear them almost all the time, and so there's very little to compare to. However, when I have to wear pants (usually because of my wife), it does bum me out.

Even after three years wearing skirts almost all the time and almost everywhere, I'm still a bit tense sometimes about what other people will think. That does, however, add to the fun.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

kilty wrote:
P1110367sc.jpg
P1110378sc-1.jpg
Sunshine and being with friends helps too :mrgreen:
Outstanding!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

There are many adjectives to describe the feelings associated with being skirted. For me, I'll have to say its like being Naked.... But Not.

The breeze between the legs, gentle swish of the skirt against skin. Naked underneath, but Not to the observer!

RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

If one applied the trans identity questionnaire, those who consider it relaxing to pull on a skirt would likely fall into the "androgyne" characterization of giving time to both sides of the gender identity line. I don't know if I agree with that categorization because if I could get away with being skirted full-time, the only bifurcated thing you'd see me in would be tights/pantyhose (two different things on this side of the pond).

However, in answer to the original question, YES. Something drew you to this clothing decision. Once you put it on, it reinforced your feeling that "Yes, this is right for me somehow." As a result, a door is opened that can never be closed again and you don't want it to. You want to feel the way you felt as often as possible. Now, does this mean it's an addiction? If you wanted to look at it from a pejorative standpoint, the parallels could be drawn. I'd rather think of it in the same feeling I get after a decent workout or hearing a favorite song in public. Euphoric without damage. Now if only I could venture out in public to said workout or hear said song in public while skirted, life would be brilliant!

My ex-gf (still friends, kind of) said she noticed a difference in me. Made me a better kisser apparently, among other things. Fair enough.
Robeman1

Post by Robeman1 »

Most definately YES!

I have been wearing at home robes/long full length dresses (I have done Medieval re-enactment - like SCA) since 2000 pretty well every day and the last part of the day is my chill out time and that is the main time I wear them. They most certainly do help you to relax and be free - that all makes perfect sense to me. (I do wear skirts at home on a regular basis but have never done so in public!). I have a diverse range of them - most are based on something medieval and some have large sleeves and others plain tight ones. I have two different plain dark blue velvet ones for example which are both comfortable and are simple. I tend to prefer fuller skirts as they are actually easier to move in and you can lift them easier when foe example going up stairs. I have a lifelong interest in costume and fashion and the Middle Ages in particular being the main period in costume history - a time when skirted garments - both short and long were a part of everyday life. I am new on here and have just joined!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Again, I'd say than being skirted makes me feel that I am myself. Perhaps I define relaxed differently, but I would not apply it to the social stigma I feel when skirted. It's more a case of feeling honest than of feeling relaxed. But there is much to be said about feeling honest.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Yes, kilts and skirts are a great way to relax. It is nice to slip into a nice practical full skirt or circle skirt and relax, I don't go out in public so I don't have to care what others think, the draw back is I don't get to wear skirts as often as I would like to. It is nice to get rid of fabric crotch wad for awhile, and enjoy the open air concept for awhile. In summer I have trouble with my legs breaking out with heat rash. ( oh to wear skirts in the heat of summer) that would be cool.
My most favorite skirt ever was a red felt poodle circle skirt. Close second would be my kilts, followed by several of my a line plain denims.
Kilts are roomy but can be too heavy for daily wear. Love them but sometimes I feel like I'm sitting on a pile of laundry.
So yes skirts make me relax and unwind.
Mishawakaskirt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I don't know is there are any Star Trek fans here . If there are you know of the often references to an" alternate universe". Wearing skirts and now an occasional dress puts me in my own alternate universe. My worries seem to disappear And I don't seem to give a s----- about things.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:I don't know is there are any Star Trek fans here . If there are you know of the often references to an" alternate universe". Wearing skirts and now an occasional dress puts me in my own alternate universe. My worries seem to disappear And I don't seem to give a s----- about things.
Yes they did some neat stuff for that show I watched every episode on TV and have seen all of the movies. They were the leaders in mens comfortable fashion too. With officers in tunics and tights as well as a long dress like garment. I only wish the fashion caught on then.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:I don't know is there are any Star Trek fans here . If there are you know of the often references to an" alternate universe". Wearing skirts and now an occasional dress puts me in my own alternate universe. My worries seem to disappear And I don't seem to give a s----- about things.
Yes they did some neat stuff for that show I watched every episode on TV and have seen all of the movies. They were the leaders in mens comfortable fashion too. With officers in tunics and tights as well as a long dress like garment. I only wish the fashion caught on then.

Ah yes the Star Trek skant in STNG.
I love ST but am no ST historian by any means. The STNG skant was short lived in season 1 one of Next Generation. Link to info on ST uniform History. http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star ... 50s-2370s)
Our local TV station is running all the episodes of every series, one episode of each, each night.
Let's just say I'm on a Star Trek binge. :) my ranking for each series and my favorite character as follows.
1 Voyager. The Doctor
2 DS9. Odo
3 TNG. Data
4 STTOS. Scotty
5 Enterprise. Dr. Phlox
Again just my ranking for what its worth.
Hmmmm? Combining love of skirts and Star Trek?
Very doable. Never gone to a Star Trek convention but if I do, I will have to go kilted or skirted.
Skirt, a few prostetic scales, ridges, pointy ears, interesting name and your a memorable alien. :kiltdance:
And before I get beat in the head for severe thread drift :hide:

Skirts are very relaxing. To me putting on a skirt or kilt is equal to my wife's desire to put on a pair of old sweat pants ( trousers) I don't understand her some times.
We all have what we prefer. Yes to skirts

Best wishes Mishawakaskirt, o wait, "Live long and prosper"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mishawakaskirt on Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.