Menskirt event and fashion show in France

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
alsachti

Menskirt event and fashion show in France

Post by alsachti »

Our association, HEJ, organised an event last Satruday in Strasbourg, France.

These are just some photos of this event. You can see more on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/1030118670401077/ and on https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sd2lnh5m2vop ... MQMra?dl=0

First, we throw our pants in a "Freedom Trash Can" as an homage to the "bra-throwers" of the 60's.

With the help of a graffiti artist, Jaek el Diablo, we turned our skirts into protests signs.

We also organised, later in the day, a fashion show at the "Fashion Week Strasbourg". Unlike other fashion show, there was different brands of everyday skirts: Hiatus, Utilikilt, Kilt this, Men in time, Sport kilt...

Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Re: Menskirt event and fashion show in France

Post by Orange Apple »

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed the pictures.

Is there any event like this on this side of the pond?
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Any plans to do it down south?
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

All those white skirts wouldn't stand a chance on me if I was French, not with the way I slosh around red wine! They would look well on French bakers bringing out trays of baguettes, however.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

The long white skirts did not appeal to me very much, especially when plastered with slogans, that made them look like simple supports for the slogans rather being the object of the exercise, i.e. to show that men can wear skirts. They turned attention away from male skirt-wearing, rather than promoting it. I imagine the handsome models in proper skirts got more attention.
Throwing away old trousers into waste bins, on the other hand, was a good idea, but needed another 100 or so men to make an impact. The turnout must have been disappointing for the organizers, but hats off for doing it.
Martin
Last edited by Couya on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Couya wrote:The long white skirts did not appeal to me very much, especially when plastered with slogans, that made them look like simple supports for the slogans rather being the object of the exercise, i.e. to show that men was wear skirts. They turned attention away from male skirt-wearing, rather than promoting it
Agreed, its not very helpful. If you want to promote male-skirt-wearing, you should be concerned about a plausible look.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:
Couya wrote:The long white skirts did not appeal to me very much, especially when plastered with slogans, that made them look like simple supports for the slogans rather being the object of the exercise, i.e. to show that men was wear skirts. They turned attention away from male skirt-wearing, rather than promoting it
Agreed, its not very helpful. If you want to promote male-skirt-wearing, you should be concerned about a plausible look.
Then again, as usually attributed to P. T. Barnum, "There's no such thing as bad publicity."

It may not be what we individually would choose to wear, but any exposure to men in skirts softens the way for all.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

But, Caultron, the white ones with slogans did not look like skirts. Rather they appeared to be the banners that demonstrators usually carry aloft, but which this time they wrapped round their waists.

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Couya wrote:But, Caultron, the white ones with slogans did not look like skirts. Rather they appeared to be the banners that demonstrators usually carry aloft, but which this time they wrapped round their waists.
I still say there's no such thing as bad publicity.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Caultron wrote:
Couya wrote:But, Caultron, the white ones with slogans did not look like skirts. Rather they appeared to be the banners that demonstrators usually carry aloft, but which this time they wrapped round their waists.
I still say there's no such thing as bad publicity.
The slogans were a bit over-the-top, but the skirts were actually nice. Its just that anything white I put on does not remain white for very long.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
alsachti

Post by alsachti »

I was expecting more members of our association, but a lot of them were not available or were too far away. But the event attracted a few people, some of them were skirt-wearers, others were just curious and accepted to try one of our skirts (the white ones) for the occasion.

Overall, I am not disappointed because we reached a lot of people through the social networks and the local newspapers and websites. There was also a lot of spectators at the fashion show.
And we collected almost one hundred pants for the Salvation Army.

The white skirts ("banners") were especially created for the event, to be drawn on by a graffiti artist.

The other white skirts, at the fashion show, are part of Hiatus' "Cérémonie" collection. Apparently, white clothing is popular in some countries, for weddings and similar events.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Couya wrote:Throwing away old trousers into waste bins, on the other hand, was a good idea, but needed another 100 or so men to make an impact.
Yes that image is epic. While overkill, for the shot, it should be lit on fire and rephotographed, and then take take it's place right up there with the photo's of women who burned their bras in the 60's.

I also agree the long white skirts looked odd. Somewhat clunky. But as Caultron said pointed out, it's still exposure, and still support. So good for them!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

To my eye, or at least what's left of it, the very long white skirts (designed for use as "billboards") looked more like aprons than anything else. This may be what elicited a comment about bakers as few posts back.

I'll differ regarding setting the bin on fire, though, as it was stated that the items were donated to charity instead of contributing to air-pollution. This, to me, was a "win" on both counts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:I'll differ regarding setting the bin on fire, though, as it was stated that the items were donated to charity instead of contributing to air-pollution. This, to me, was a "win" on both counts.
I know, I had mixed feelings about posting that, as I hate wasting things, and in addition, the trousers could be modified into denim skirts! It was more for the "effect" of the photo than anything...

Fair enough... photoshop some flames on the bin, then donate them. Sound good? :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
RADER

Post by RADER »

I would like to see an event like that in Chicago.
rader