WORK

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

WORK

Post by STEVIE »

I'm starting here because tomorrow a first.
For official/work purposes I will be travelling outside my "base".
It's no big deal, a train journey to Glasgow, overnight stay in a decent hotel.
A day to be spent with colleagues from other parts of the "organisation"
Then home again.
I don't seem to have packed trousers, oh dear!
Steve.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: WORK

Post by Caultron »

Are these colleagues aware of your clothing preferences?

But either way, best of luck!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:Are these colleagues aware of your clothing preferences?
They soon will be unless Stevie picks himself up a pair of trousers and right quick!
But either way, best of luck!
Seconded, heartily!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Don't get too excited - he could be wearing shorts :lol:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

"The best laid schemes o' mice and men aft sae gang aglay".
Today, was a perfect example. If I had pitched up in Glasgow tonight, I would have been "bedless". The hotel reservation was erroneously booked for last night, not by me I hasten to add! Fortunately ,I caught the error earlier today.
The snag, for tonight was no hotel rooms within a 7 mile radius? That is not a practical option, so I cancelled.
As it turns out, I was thwarted by none other than Bruce Springsteen. Who?
The skirt questions are slightly easier, I have no idea how awareness of my choices has spread within the wider organisation. We have entertained visitors on occasion. I know there have been some questions and comments. Some have been more direct than others.
That has made no difference to my working life and in some cases made it better.
In that case, I had made a decision to be skirted, end of story. If I had been asked for a debate I would have provided one.
I live in a skirt these days, not just wear one. This was just going to be a slightly different aspect of my life.
Alas, the best laid schemes etc. That's life!
Steve.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

STEVIE wrote:"The best laid schemes o' mice and men aft sae gang aglay".
Today, was a perfect example. If I had pitched up in Glasgow tonight, I would have been "bedless". The hotel reservation was erroneously booked for last night, not by me I hasten to add! Fortunately ,I caught the error earlier today.
The snag, for tonight was no hotel rooms within a 7 mile radius? That is not a practical option, so I cancelled.
As it turns out, I was thwarted by none other than Bruce Springsteen. Who?
The skirt questions are slightly easier, I have no idea how awareness of my choices has spread within the wider organisation. We have entertained visitors on occasion. I know there have been some questions and comments. Some have been more direct than others.
That has made no difference to my working life and in some cases made it better.
In that case, I had made a decision to be skirted, end of story. If I had been asked for a debate I would have provided one.
I live in a skirt these days, not just wear one. This was just going to be a slightly different aspect of my life.
Alas, the best laid schemes etc. That's life!
Steve.
That's fantastic! I think we put too much emphasis on our skirts rather than just go out there and get on with life. I did a small experiment :- went up my local High Street in jeans and made an effort to spot how many people noticed me. Some did, some didn't, no obvious reactions. I did the same stretch of road in a denim skirt, almost the same response. I have not appeared on social media, I think nowadays people just accept it, shrug their shoulders and get on with life. It was not outrageous, just a polo shirt, black denim pencil skirt, no tights (shaved legs) as it was a fairly warm day, and a pair of pop sox and trainers (sneakers). A life lived in fear is a life half lived, IMHO :wink:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

On the subject of work outfits, I wore this on Tuesday.
Carl, you may approve, it was a dress down day and I avoided wearing denim.
The skirt had it's first outing as it hasn't fitted since I stopped smoking. The snap is the first taken on my first smart phone.
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Stevie

Well done for making that decision even if circumstances stopped the actual event.

I work for myself as garden services, outdoors, my own boss, paid to go to the gym, good clients. I got out of the rat race of office and it's politics and I'm more practical, hands on. None of my clients took any issue of my skirt wearing, not that I wear skirts for this work, too imptactical. We do socilise with several clients and always skirted.

As my wife has retired she has come in with me. Same work, less actual time. We have talked about volunteering for the National Trust, house stewards rather than working on their land - We do enough of that for our clients. Recently we took the plunge, contact made asked to come in for a discussion. I went in my skirt, long length, and top, cardigan and scarf, all labelled by society as womens wear. Other newby volunteers there and a few active volunteers to explain what is done and at the particular house we have opted for. There was no issue, no complaints, no laughter at me nothing until at the very end the Manager asked if we were happy to go on the official induction course. We said yes. One very elderly volunteer then said I would have to come more suitable dressed, whilst she was in full modern female choice of clothing, trousers, male pattern style of shirt and yes manly style hair. I didn't have to say anything, as my wife replied, no different to women now in trousers and other volunteers backed my wife up.

We went on the health and safety induction course and I was in a skirt. No problem. I then asked the manager had she thought of some public negative reaction via complaints and the effect upon the National Trust. Her reply I don't have a problem, the Trust has no problem, if the visitor does that is their problem and I will tell them that. She said I was fine as I was very presentable.

So far on our fortnightly volunteering, the public have been fine, and just as many engage with me about the house as they do with other volunteers. Even volunteers are happy to stand with me and talk with me.

A man in a skirt at work for me has not been a problem, and why should it be for any man in this day and age. Discrimination, freedom of choice and expression applies to all. If the nature of the job made skirt wearing impractical I wouldn't go in a skirt but certainly would on any work social events.
Last edited by TheSkirtedMan on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

TheSkirtedMan wrote:Stevie

Well done for making that decision even if circumstances stopped the actual event.

I work for myself as garden services, outdoors, my own boss, paid to go to the gym, good clients. I got out of the rat race of office and it's politics and I'm more practical, hands on. None of my clients took any issue of my skirt wearing, not that I wear skirts for this work, too imptactical. We do socilise with several clients and always skirted.

As my wife has retired she has come in with me. Same work, less actual time. We have talked about volunteering for the National Trust, house stewards rather than working on their laid - We do enough of that for our clients. Recently we took the plunge, contact made asked to come in for a discussion. I went in my skirt, long length, and top, cardigan and scarf, all labelled by society as womens wear. Other newby volunteers there and a few active volunteers to explain what is done and at the particular house we have opted for. There was no issue, no complaints, no laughter at me nothing until at the very end the Manager asked if we were happy to go on the official induction course. We said yes. One very elderly volunteer then said I would have to come more suitable dressed, whilst she was in full modern female choice of clothing, trousers, male pattern style of shirt and yes manly style hair. I didn't have to say anything, as my wife replied, no different to women now in trousers and other volunteers backed my wife up.

We went on the health and safety induction course and I was in a skirt. No problem. I then asked the manager had she thought of some public negative reaction via complaints and the effect upon the National Trust. Her reply I don't have a problem, the Trust has no problem, if the visitor does that is their problem and I will tell them that. She said I was fine as I was very presentable.

So far on our fortnightly volunteering, the public have been fine, and just as many engage with me about the house as they do with other volunteers. Even volunteers are happy to stand with me and talk with me.

A man in a skirt at work for me has not been a problem, and why should it be for any man in this day and age. Discrimination, freedom of choice and expression applies to all. If the nature of the job made skirt wearing impractical I wouldn't go in a skirt but certainly would on any work social events.
I love this! Just goes to show that for many the objections are all in the mind!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:On the subject of work outfits, I wore this on Tuesday.
Carl, you may approve, it was a dress down day and I avoided wearing denim.
The skirt had it's first outing as it hasn't fitted since I stopped smoking. The snap is the first taken on my first smart phone.
Steve.
You and your outfit look great here.

But what's with renesm1's comment, "Well done for making that decision even if circumstances stopped the actual event?" Did the company make you change or something?

And if not, how did it go?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Caultron,
No, there was a simple human error in the hotel reservation made on my behalf.
When it came to light it was too late to put right.
This was largely due to the fact that I was competing with Springsteen fans for accommodation on the correct night.
I had just decided that I would be dressed as usual for work.
I don't get any input from above on the skirts, all is extremely neutral and strictly no comment.
As long as I stay reasonably "conservative", it's likely to remain that way.
Besides, I'm useful, I tick the "diversity" box for the stats and that is value beyond any politician's claims.
Steve.
BTW, thanks for the comment on the photo.