peoples reactions

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: peoples reactions

Post by moonshadow »

Pretty young bomb shell tarts get a lot of stares too... don't think it's for the same reason, but hey... it is what it is... represent my friends!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Well, there's Soda, Yeast and Cake Biscuits.
The 'Bisquick' biscuits are great, opened on a
plate, smothered in fresh, home-made sausage
and pepper gravy. Have some scrambled eggs
on the side and a scrumptious delight awaits you :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
hairy wrote:. . . and I'm wondering if I got preferential treatment because I was skirted, . . .
I'm getting more and more convinced that drivers are more likely to stop for me when I'm standing at a crosswalk (zebra crossing for you UK people) when I'm wearing a skirt.
I have noted similar things here too, but being sceptical I put it down to them perhaps wanting to stare longer.

Btw, zebra crossings are generally being phased out and replaced by pelican crossings, puffin crossings and toucan crossings. Mostly, I would say, people tend to refer to them all as pelican crossings.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

SkirtsDad wrote:
skirted_in_SF wrote:
hairy wrote:. . . and I'm wondering if I got preferential treatment because I was skirted, . . .
I'm getting more and more convinced that drivers are more likely to stop for me when I'm standing at a crosswalk (zebra crossing for you UK people) when I'm wearing a skirt.
I have noted similar things here too, but being sceptical I put it down to them perhaps wanting to stare longer.
I have also wondered about that, and it seems as far as businesses go, the reaction can be very warm, or very cold, with results being about 50/50. As far as casual people (non business employees), I mostly get no real reaction, save for some snickering from the really young group, and some dirty stares from the really older people. Those aged 35-55 don't seem to care. I guess that demographic (35-55) are too busy trying to survive to worry about what I'm wearing. They are too old to be living with mom and dad, and not old enough to retire. It's "real life" for these folks, and I'm right there in the trenches with them!

As far as businesses go, a visit at the local Magic Mart (a local department store chain around here) as I stood at the counter checking out some hair bands in one of my denim skirts, the old lady that was ringing me up seemed to be emotionless, however the older woman cashier working behind her was giving me quite the evil eye.

At the little out of the way gas station in Konarock a few weeks ago, the lady working the shelves there was VERY friendly, however I could tell I was making the male checker uncomfortable.

There is a woman who works at the GoodWill in Abingdon who is so friendly each and every time I go in there, that I think next time I'm in there I'm going to attempt to catch a name and maybe advance this into "friends" territory. And I don't think it's "like that", no, she just seems really nice and "into" what I do. She always compliments my necklace, and is always complimenting the skirts I show up in, further she has gotten other women who work there in on it.

Of course the people at Misty Mountain Designs in Bristol are always friendly, but that's to be expected from such an establishment (their business clientele is the counter culture after all)

So yeah, when it comes to men in skirts... it seems people either love it, hate it, or don't care either way.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

As far as dishes go I had the following test and I'm not sure that I passed it very well. Over here we have what are called Yorkshire Puddings. They are basically a batter mix but cooked in a very particular way. Outside of Britain you on the other side of the Atlantic River probably haven't tasted a well made Yorkie Pud. The batter has to stand for a couple of hours after mixing and is cooked quickly in a very hot oven and only a little mixture is placed in an oiled pudding tray. The result is that they rise and form the traditional shape and softness/crispiness. Sorry if I am preaching to the converted but here's why the preamble. A year ago we were in Egypt and the restaurant was offering a British roast beef dinner but, horror, no Yorkies. Me being me went to the chef and tried to explain and he agreed to try. Well, as you can imagine, disaster. Too much mix in what were really bun trays thus not providing sufficient area for the puds to rise and they turned out just like solid masses. Too heavy. Only having two weeks to the holiday the results when I left were better but they just didn't seen to grasp the concept of just putting a little in the dish. Oh well, I can only hope that some other more accomplished chef/cook could complete what I started. Just in case you are wondering cooking good YP's can take years to master and most British people probably don't get it right all the yime. There are so many factors that can mitigate against producing a good YP including air pressure, temperature, oven temperature, the oil used, whether Mercury is in transit across the sun and whether it is a full moon or not and many other factors. If you think I am joking, I'm not. So don't feel bad if results are not perfect. In case you are wondering my record is probably about 25 per cent at best.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm having some trouble with the naming, I guess, Dennis, since for us, a pudding would be something completely different and far removed from a pastry. I did google it, though; it looks...interesting...and I will make a point of trying it, should I have the good fortune to visit the UK. Here, pudding is typically a viscous liquid/semi-solid, homogeneous (except when containing fruit or less-processed ingredients) concoction, and most often sweet; served typically as a low-budget dessert. It is a bit more drippy than a mousse. Typically, common commercial puddings are chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch, caramel, or coconut, or a tapioca type preparation, though there are also chunkier fruit-based puddings. Here in the rural south, banana pudding is a staple of country cuisine.

I understand that Yorkshire puddings can also be adapted as a sweet dessert?

Here in the rural southland, we also have a country pork "by-product" dish called "liver pudding," a blend of pig liver and other ingredients like perhaps corn meal, and very salty and heavily spiced. It is an "acquired taste," I would say, though I do like it once in a while. It isn't especially healthy, though, as most organ meats, especially liver, are reservoirs of cholesterol, antibiotics, heavy metals, hazardous prions, etc...and this concoction is especially high in sodium, as well, so I eat it rarely, despite it being sort of a comfort-food remembered from my rural southern childhood. My grandparents slaughtered their own hogs and, along with hams and bacon, usually made liver pudding, which they called "liver-mush".

My brothers and I once were invited to eat at a friend's farm home in a distant county; the family had just finished slaughtering hogs, and liver pudding was on the table, along with another concoction called "souse," which was something my grandparents did not make, and with which we were unfamiliar. But we politely ate some anyway, as the elderly farmer's wife brought the steaming dish to the table, freshly prepared. She then, as proper southern hostesses are expected to do, apologized for "country" nature of the meal, and particularly for her preparation of the souse, which my brothers and I were sampling at that very moment. "I'm sorry this souse is so gelatinous," she said, "but that hog had the biggest hooves I've ever seen..." Forks halted in mid-air and the table went silent, as my brothers and I turned pale-green. It was an "oh...really?" moment. The meal ended shortly, and, as we thanked her for the hospitality, we downed about a gallon of iced tea, as though we could wash the memory of what we had been eating away with an extreme dose of sugar. Souse, as it turns out, is made of the pig's hooves, snout, tail, and ears, cooked into a sort of salted, lumpy, gelatinous residue, and preserved in sort of squarish chunks.

Additionally, we have here a preparation called chitterlings ("chitt'lins") made of the small intestines of the pig cooked into a sort of greasy thick slop; it too is also an acquired taste, which, after smelling the wretched stuff cooking once upon a time, I could never acquire.

I suppose my Scot brothers who indulge in haggis understand well even our humble, southern, country ways of making the most of the offal (or the awful) as food. I have indulged in chinchulines (goat kid intestines) in South America and find them actually quite good, so long as they are grilled nice and crispy; also mollejas, the "sweetbreads," which are the thymus and other glands of sheep or goat, also grilled crispy on the outside. One thing I do not care to eat is morcilla, aka "blood sausage." It is traditional fare on asado tables in Argentina and Uruguay, and though I will take a bit just to be polite, I will pass it by on the next round.

I suppose it is not a bad thing, really, to utilize every part of the animal that gave its life for our appetites, and it makes sense both from a resource conservation standpoint and as an appreciative tribute to the departed animals. Much of the world thrives on the things we process as dog food. I have never tried souse again, although I have eaten numerous things abroad that I was equally unsure of, and deliberately did not make inquiry as to their contents. Sometimes it's better just to be polite and ignorant.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

SkirtsDad wrote:Btw, zebra crossings are generally being phased out and replaced by pelican crossings, puffin crossings and toucan crossings. Mostly, I would say, people tend to refer to them all as pelican crossings.
I thought you were pulling my leg with all those other animal named crossings, but Mr. Google set me straight. You do live in an interesting world across the pond. :)
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Dillon, pudding over here is a catch-all term normally for any sweet dish eaten after the main course and would include such delights as spotted dick, apple or rhubarb crumble, ice cream and so on. Yorkshire puddings are a special case and were meant to fill up the person before or during the main course as mashed potato serves as well. YP can also be eaten as a meal in its own right filled with gravy, minced meat, but also with sweet products such as cream and strawberries. But beware, if the YP doesn't rise and form deep, sheer sides crispy on top, but flat, doughy slabs then you've failed. As I said they can take years to beat into submission but when you've got them right then they are the nearest equivalent to manna and versatile too. We also have our offal dishes of which the most common is tripe, the boiled intestines, not one of my favourite dishes. But you have eaten some, er, interesting things.

Zebra crossings go back a long time, to the early days of motoring, whereas pelicon, pedestrian light controlled, crossings are relatively more recent and don't have the black and white bands on the road. In our more safety obsessed society pelicons are gaining ground although zebra crossings are cheap to install especially as the lights, black and white banded poles with a big orange globe on the top, are now being powered by p/e cells.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

dillon wrote: [...] Much of the world thrives on the things we process as dog food. I have never tried souse again, although I have eaten numerous things abroad that I was equally unsure of, and deliberately did not make inquiry as to their contents. Sometimes it's better just to be polite and ignorant.
I acted as guide to a New Yorker a few years ago, during his first visit to England. He told me later that one of the memories which had stuck in his mind was watching me eat faggots and peas - he couldn't believe anyone could bring themselves to do it.

[A Faggot in the U.K. is a kind of meat ball about 2" diameter, containing (at least) offal, fat, blood, herbs and oats, wrapped in a thin membrane of biological origin.]
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

pelmut wrote:
dillon wrote: [...] Much of the world thrives on the things we process as dog food. I have never tried souse again, although I have eaten numerous things abroad that I was equally unsure of, and deliberately did not make inquiry as to their contents. Sometimes it's better just to be polite and ignorant.
I acted as guide to a New Yorker a few years ago, during his first visit to England. He told me later that one of the memories which had stuck in his mind was watching me eat faggots and peas - he couldn't believe anyone could bring themselves to do it.

[A Faggot in the U.K. is a kind of meat ball about 2" diameter, containing (at least) offal, fat, blood, herbs and oats, wrapped in a thin membrane of biological origin.]
Sounds lovely... :roll: I always thought a faggot was a bundle of sticks such as might be used in a bonfire. And a fag was a cigarette. Moreover, it doesn't seem quite a match to match something as challenging to consider as "faggots" with something as pleasantly benign as garden peas.
Last edited by dillon on Tue May 10, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Sinned wrote:Dillon, pudding over here is a catch-all term normally for any sweet dish eaten after the main course and would include such delights as spotted dick, apple or rhubarb crumble, ice cream and so on. Yorkshire puddings are a special case and were meant to fill up the person before or during the main course as mashed potato serves as well. YP can also be eaten as a meal in its own right filled with gravy, minced meat, but also with sweet products such as cream and strawberries. But beware, if the YP doesn't rise and form deep, sheer sides crispy on top, but flat, doughy slabs then you've failed. As I said they can take years to beat into submission but when you've got them right then they are the nearest equivalent to manna and versatile too. We also have our offal dishes of which the most common is tripe, the boiled intestines, not one of my favourite dishes. But you have eaten some, er, interesting things.
No idea what "spotted dick" is but it sounds contagious. I believe I will skip that dish...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Spotted dick is a suet pudding with dried fruit, currants, raisins or sultanas, interspersed in it and served with custard. Because of reactions like yours it is often used in comedies requiring innuendo, playing very much on the dick part of the name. Quite delicious but can be a bit heavy and certainly filling.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

dillon wrote: I always thought a faggot was a bundle of sticks such as might be used in a bonfire.
There are a couple of interesting derivations from that: In the U.K., witches were burnt at the faggot and the term "Old faggot" was used to mean a witch; in the U.S., homosexuals were burnt at the faggot, so "Faggot" or "Fag" came to mean homosexual.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

pelmut wrote:
dillon wrote: I always thought a faggot was a bundle of sticks such as might be used in a bonfire.
in the U.S., homosexuals were burnt at the faggot, so "Faggot" or "Fag" came to mean homosexual.
Are you sure that's factual? Please provide a citation.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

dillon wrote:
pelmut wrote:
in the U.S., homosexuals were burnt at the faggot, so "Faggot" or "Fag" came to mean homosexual.
Are you sure that's factual? Please provide a citation.
I must admit I haven't come across anything I could quote as a citation, but it is an explanation I remember hearing from many years ago. Perhaps someone else knows differently?