First Flight (Skirted)

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

First Flight (Skirted)

Post by dillon »

Well, it was really no big deal. At least not for me. It was really other people's issue to deal with.

On Sunday I flew from George Bush Airport in Houston TX back to the tiny Jacksonville, NC airport wearing my second newest acqusition, a knee length black travel skort, of the most incredibly soft and comfortable yoga-stretch fabric, from BetaBrand, of San Francisco. Additionally, I wore black flip-flops, with painted toenails and shaved legs.

It was uneventful, aside from a senseless two and a half hour delay delay in Charlotte, and the refusal of the American Airlines Service desk to accomodate my request to be put on another flight. I remedied that with a call to American. The desk would not move me to an inter-operating flight until my original booking was FOUR hours delayed. But I knew there would be seats on the next flight out, so I just went over their heads.

I was a bit nervous about being on a flight with mostly Marines, but it was no big deal...though I am confident that I am the first skirted man ever to fly into Jacksonville, NC. Had I found a better fare to Wilmington, I would have flown to/from that airport, and would have had no trepidations at all.

I'd been in Houston for a funeral service, but got to visit with my son, who's at TAMU; so it was not entirely a sad affair.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First Flight (Skirted)

Post by skirtingtheissue »

dillon wrote:Well, it was really no big deal. At least not for me. It was really other people's issue to deal with.
It's a pattern. We wonder, we hesitate, we worry, and then we go skirted someplace for the first time, and then… NO BIG DEAL! Congrats.
-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I am glad you had a good flight even with the delays. I hate Charlotte airport but I hate Atlanta even more.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

skirtingtheissue wrote:
dillon wrote:Well, it was really no big deal. At least not for me. It was really other people's issue to deal with.
It's a pattern. We wonder, we hesitate, we worry, and then we go skirted someplace for the first time, and then… NO BIG DEAL! Congrats.
-----Henry
Exactly! I too have been skirted on a plane several times a few years ago and had no problems. The only "demons" were in my head beforehand.

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtingtheissue wrote:
I've had no problem other than some TSA concerns about the extra buttons and straps on a utility kilt. Apparently they detect this as an unusual location for metal.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I did a short flight from Calgary to Victoria, (Vancouver Island) I have a pacemaker so I declined the scanner, hence I had to have a pat down. It was no issue to me, but I think the poor chap wasn't sure what to make of me, he seemed somewhat embarrassed. He was very professional and polite, but nervous. No one made any comments about the skirt.
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

I had no problem flying from Seattle to Minneapolis wearing my tan Mocker Utilikilt. I didn't have any problems going through security. When I arrived at Minneapolis it was early morning and got lots of double takes...maybe people didn't expect to see a skirted man on an early Sunday morning.

When I arrived at my final destination I got more looks when picking my luggage and the expression on the driver driving the limo to the car rental lot was priceless, but he gave me heads ups anyway and thought it looked cool!!

Cheers

Tes
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

tesjolts wrote:...maybe people didn't expect to see a skirted man on an early Sunday morning.
Of course, any other weekday, skirted men can be seen everywhere in Minneapolis.
;-)
Martin
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Couya wrote: Of course, any other weekday, skirted men can be seen everywhere in Minneapolis.
;-)
Martin
As they should be since Minneapolis is the home of Skirtcraft. :wink:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Franinskirts wrote:I am glad you had a good flight even with the delays. I hate Charlotte airport but I hate Atlanta even more.

I don't find either of them all that bad...just very large to move through, but not at all difficult. I prefer Delta over American, and anything over United, at least if not making a Lufthansa connection, which is much better. If you want BAD, REALLY BAD, fly through Newark NJ. I will never make that mistake again.

The BetaBrand skort is excellent; a good knee length and so buttery-soft comfortable. It has a security pocket hidden in the short and the outer pockets all zip closed. I carried a small shoulder bag, but could have carried phone, wallet etc just fine in the skort without any bag.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

dillon wrote: I prefer Delta over American, and anything over United, at least if not making a Lufthansa connection, which is much better.

Before they merged I flew US AIR. I never had any problems that could not be fixed fast. Always had great service at the terminal and in the air. The flight crews were so much friendlier than American. Since the merge US AIR /American the service both on the ground and in the air has dropped to a point that it is now as bad as Delta. One trip I was wait to board a Delta flight when all of a sudden the area was filled with police. One of the passengers had made a complaint that a man was exposing himself to her. I was sitting right across from him at the time. He was wearing a short skirt. He was not exposed at all. But because the woman filed the complaint with the gate attendant after the police let him go he was then refused boarding because of the skirt. She said the customer was so upset that she could not let him on board. "BS"

"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Franinskirts wrote:...because the woman filed the complaint with the gate attendant after the police let him go he was then refused boarding because of the skirt. She said the customer was so upset that she could not let him on board. "BS
That's pretty lame. They could've and should've just seated the upset woman and the guy in a skirt in different parts of the cabin. The guy in the skirt probably could've made a case to the attendant's manager but I suppose by then he'd already received all the attention he could stand.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Who is to say that the woman in question did not feel that she had been intentionally flashed even if it was unintentional? However its more likely that she decided that she was offended that a male would wear an article of clothing that she felt should have only been worn by a woman and decided to physically harass and embarrass the gentleman in question. I myself was a victim of this type of harassment many years ago while in another southern state. The accusers in this instance told the police that I was selling weapons out of my vehicle in an attempt to have me arrested and thus embarrassed, humiliated, and possibly sexually assaulted in the process. The fact that the police found no weapons at all in my vehicle was probably the major reason that they let me go with a statement that there were people in their community that liked to cause trouble fro those that they decided did come up to their standards.

In the end run we are all going to answer for our own actions and if you seek to cause harm and trouble for another you will answer for it in the long run. As an old saying goes, "What goes around comes around."
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Problem easily solved; wear underwear. I don't want to see some dude's junk either. My skort, I am sure, even at knee length, surely saved me from an exposure, although for a guy my size a coach airline seat is the absolute solution to "manspread".
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

dillon wrote:Problem easily solved; wear underwear...
He may have been. The belligerent woman could've seen the guy's underwear and thougbt he was flashing it. Or maybe she saw nothing and was just afraid she might. Maybe she was just upset that the guy, "weren't reg'lr." Some people get in a huff over nothing, or everything. Was the guy making faces at her or ogling her or was he behaving himself? We just don't know.

caultron