Shirt Dress

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Rev Paul

Shirt Dress

Post by Rev Paul »

I'm not sure where i wanted to post this. The Target ad for this past Sunday had a Chambray shirt dress on sale. I went in to one of my local Targets to take a look. I found it to be of jean type material looked like it was something nice to wear around the house. Any thoughts, comments, or ideas on a dress of this style?
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Shirt Dress

Post by SkirtsDad »

Rev Paul wrote:I'm not sure where i wanted to post this. The Target ad for this past Sunday had a Chambray shirt dress on sale. I went in to one of my local Targets to take a look. I found it to be of jean type material looked like it was something nice to wear around the house. Any thoughts, comments, or ideas on a dress of this style?
Absolutely... I love them. I have a few, one or two in denim and a couple in a heavy cotton.

There are lots of slight variations on the style, and some are a loose fit and others more tailored. Anyway, in common with most dresses, things to look out for I would say are: if it has an elasticated, or sewn in cord waist, make sure it's not too high or it probably won't look very flattering. If it has cap sleeves then these are sometime quite small, so you may find them a bit tight on the upper arms unless you have thin arms. Hope that helps.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I agree completely with SkirtsDad. Shirtdresses are one of my favorite styles. In the first place they are a slamdunk for passing the credibility test. If there is any style that the manufacturers would make for men it's got to be the shirtdress.
One of my first dresses, at least as a man in a dress as opposed to a crossdresser, was a shirtdress I bought from Target on line. It's nicely made, comfortable, versatile and definitely credible. Enough so that one of the first times I wore it outside was on a sunny day to get my mail at the corner boxes. (The cul de sac had one of those group mailboxes.) On my way i ran into a new mom who had just moved into the neighborhood. I of course freaked for all of the expectable reasons and she just chatted me up like I was in a chambray shirt and shorts. Or like the most natural thing in the world for a man to wear on a warm sunny day is a denim shirtdress and sandals.
Why on Earth not?
I suggest that you find one that fits, buy it and wear it with confidence.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I picked a denim shirtdress at a thrift store. Fun to wear but the top half is darted and made for a female bust.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

Shirt dresses sound awesome!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Included in my posts with pictures re: Shopping Fun is one of me in a shirtdress. It's a Polo Ralph Lauren that actually has the buttons on the right side.
The picture shows them on the left side, but only because I was shooting my mirror image.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I wouldn't mind getting and wearing a shirt dress especially if it was in black or ice blue denim or even purple or yellow. Love purple and yellow. Not sure how MOH would react to this. :?:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I've thought about a shirt dress too, but I'd prefer something like a safari dress made of fairly rugged material, probably khaki, knee length, long sleeves and epaulets, a belt, and cut for a man's chest.

Which I doubt exists anywhere and would probably cost too much to have made and I don't want it that badly but I keep looking.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Caultron wrote:I've thought about a shirt dress too, but I'd prefer something like a safari dress made of fairly rugged material, probably khaki, knee length, long sleeves and epaulets, a belt, and cut for a man's chest.

Which I doubt exists anywhere and would probably cost too much to have made and I don't want it that badly but I keep looking.
I had one of these as well. Got rid of it for the same reason as the denim. Too "blousey" on top.