getting ready to go backpacking

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

getting ready to go backpacking

Post by Bikerkilt »

I went walking in the evening at dark on my county road in a long denim skirt. The first couple days I walk about 3 miles to the bridge and back and did not have any cars come by. Then I started to wear my backpack on my walks and a car or two drove by the next couple of day no one stopped but on Friday as I was nearing the bridge a neighbor in a truck stopped and ask what I was doing I said I was getting ready for my hike, we talked for a little while and off he went. I decided to walk past the bridge on out the road about 1 mile, a car came past up the road a little later it came back down and was gone. I turned around and headed back another small truck stopped it was another neighbor asked what I was doing gave them the same story getting ready for my hike, the woman in the truck said that their friend had called them and said that their was a strange guy walking up the road so they came out to check it out. Talk with them a little while then they were gone. I walk on and about 3/4 mile from home I just got around a sharp turn and a third car stopped the young woman ask what I was doing, same story I'm getting ready for my hike then she gives me a good look up and down the said that a pretty steep hill a head and I said yes I hope to make it with out taking a break half was up. Then she said WHO ARE YOU I said I'm your neighbor Jim then she said ooh then off she went I walk on home. Nothing was said about the skirt but they all know now that I wear them.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: getting ready to go backpacking

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Bikerkilt wrote:Then she said WHO ARE YOU I said I'm your neighbor Jim then she said ooh then off she went I walk on home. Nothing was said about the skirt but they all know now that I wear them.
A good way to be out in the open. Now you can walk in the day time too, not just at night. :D It is safer during the day as you aren't as likely to get run over by some one who can't see in the dark very well. :thumbdown:

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bikerkilt wrote:I went walking in the evening at dark on my county road in a long denim skirt. The first couple days I walk about 3 miles to the bridge and back and did not have any cars come by. Then I started to wear my backpack on my walks and a car or two drove by the next couple of day no one stopped but on Friday as I was nearing the bridge a neighbor in a truck stopped and ask what I was doing I said I was getting ready for my hike, we talked for a little while and off he went. I decided to walk past the bridge on out the road about 1 mile, a car came past up the road a little later it came back down and was gone. I turned around and headed back another small truck stopped it was another neighbor asked what I was doing gave them the same story getting ready for my hike, the woman in the truck said that their friend had called them and said that their was a strange guy walking up the road so they came out to check it out. Talk with them a little while then they were gone. I walk on and about 3/4 mile from home I just got around a sharp turn and a third car stopped the young woman ask what I was doing, same story I'm getting ready for my hike then she gives me a good look up and down the said that a pretty steep hill a head and I said yes I hope to make it with out taking a break half was up. Then she said WHO ARE YOU I said I'm your neighbor Jim then she said ooh then off she went I walk on home. Nothing was said about the skirt but they all know now that I wear them.
So they all respected your choice and gave you your space! Congratulations!

And as for being strange, well, you already knew you were breaking conventions. Revel in it!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Kind of funny that people kept stopping and asking you "who are you?", and "what are you doing?".

Around here, strange pedestrian's are nothing really unusual. I've seen people do all kinds of neat things, sometimes they carry big crosses, I see wild hippie type of people with long hair, tanned skin, and ragged packs. Sometimes they are holding up cardboard signs, or sticking out their thumb. All kinds of people. This section of the state gets a lot of "interstate" traffic, along US 11, US 52, I81, and I77. It carries a lot of folks from the deep south to New England, and likewise up towards the Midwest from the Southeast. This area can quite a crossroads of diversity.

One day while working at Hobart, I saw a mid-aged man walking downtown Radford VA in a something like a white cloak. Later in the day, I saw the same man sitting in the center of a cloverleaf interchange on I81 in Dublin VA, he was on his knees with his arms stretched out towards the sky.

I'm proud to be among the American "freaks". 8)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...Around here, strange pedestrian's are nothing really unusual...
So, "Ho hum, another strange pedestrian, so what, that's normal."

Lovin' it!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

3 miles and no cars go by, twice. Nice quiet area you live in.

The third time, maybe the first guy recognised you so he stopped to talk or see if you needed help. Fair enough. But the second driver, phoning a friend "Guess what I saw when I went out to buy some milk 5 minutes ago?" And the friend actually drove out to see this marvellous spectacle. They need to get out more!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

moonshadow wrote:Kind of funny that people kept stopping and asking you "who are you?", and "what are you doing?".

Around here, strange pedestrian's are nothing really unusual. I've seen people do all kinds of neat things, sometimes they carry big crosses, I see wild hippie type of people with long hair, tanned skin, and ragged packs. Sometimes they are holding up cardboard signs, or sticking out their thumb. All kinds of people. This section of the state gets a lot of "interstate" traffic, along US 11, US 52, I81, and I77. It carries a lot of folks from the deep south to New England, and likewise up towards the Midwest from the Southeast. This area can quite a crossroads of diversity.

One day while working at Hobart, I saw a mid-aged man walking downtown Radford VA in a something like a white cloak. Later in the day, I saw the same man sitting in the center of a cloverleaf interchange on I81 in Dublin VA, he was on his knees with his arms stretched out towards the sky.

I'm proud to be among the American "freaks". 8)
The Second Coming?
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:The Second Coming?
The end is nigh! :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.