Best skirt styles for men

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Best skirt styles for men

Post by skirted84 »

Just looking for opinions on good skirt styles. I have some sewing ability and know a good dressmaker who could make things a reality. hat you would like to see in the menswear in Marks, John Lewis etc. or similar elsewhere in a world where skirts were unisex. Ideas to date include

Blue denim with male button, fly and jeans style 5 pocket
Box pleated camoflague
Tartan skirt from kilt weight fabric, possibly with pleats or gathering
Kilt made from lightweight poly/viscose

Knee length in all cases. And children as well, for boys or even unisex which is easier for kids.

Any more ideas, post away.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Best skirt styles for men

Post by Kilty »

index-4.jpg
A simple denim pencil skirt, if it does up on the men's side, that's great, knee-length like this one, I prefer the slit at the back as it is nice to show off one's legs and helps with movement. A slit at the front is a no no for a guy IMHO. Pencil skirts have a more masculine look to them than anything flowy. Chino ones are nice, too. If buying from M&S, watch out for the quality, shonky linings are common, sometimes it is one size smaller than your skirt, or one size too big... :roll:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Kilty,

At the wheel of a Porsche you have stolen a march on the rest of us! Nice dark denim knee-length, too. Very practical and modest.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

I prefer an A-line cut, at or just above knee length. I find pencil skirts too close - and I'm looking for comfort and freedom of movement. Most men have too much to allow us to wear pencil skirts without showing a male bulge, unless the material is heavy enough to hold us in. Nearly all of my skirts are cotton, of various weights, to suit the changing weather, and solid colours, many of them ones you will find men wearing. That's because I try to get people thinking I'm wearing shorts, and responding positively to me as such, then realise I'm actually wearing a skirt and so have to accept that, or make a fuss over whether what I'm wearing has stitches between the legs or not.
Shalom
Steven
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It does get down to personal taste.
The style/requirements I like and will happily wear in public are:
Denim; blue, grey, sand, khaki or camo
14" to 16" long - generally not a problem with movement under 16"
Belt loops
Pockets
Sewn Pleats can be a nice touch and give more freedom of movement and cover when sitting.

Cargo style mini skirts come close.

I do like to wear skater skirts, in light cotton or viscose, for coolness and comfort but I am still a bit shy in public with those.

If I were to specify a skirt;
Light cotton, denim or canvas
Box pleated at the sides with a contrasting colour/material in the pleats (eg: Khaki outer with dark teal inner)
May be one box pleat in the front to aid draping when sitting, but none at the back as I do a lot of long distance driving.
2 good sized pockets with openings hidden in the pleats
Adjustable fastening with velcro and press studs
15"-16" long

I too, can use a sewing machine and might try if I get the time.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Driving style:
Showing a lot more leg but not the flash surroundings.
Great with the air vents open!
20160329_164645_crs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

1456219173988.thumb.jpg.9111be579f710ea273d621e9b17bfc6d.jpg
index-3.jpg
skirts4me wrote:I prefer an A-line cut, at or just above knee length. I find pencil skirts too close - and I'm looking for comfort and freedom of movement. Most men have too much to allow us to wear pencil skirts without showing a male bulge, unless the material is heavy enough to hold us in. Nearly all of my skirts are cotton, of various weights, to suit the changing weather, and solid colours, many of them ones you will find men wearing. That's because I try to get people thinking I'm wearing shorts, and responding positively to me as such, then realise I'm actually wearing a skirt and so have to accept that, or make a fuss over whether what I'm wearing has stitches between the legs or not.
I am quite well endowed, without going into too much detail. Depends on the type of underwear, and this skirt is tight across the hips and thighs, not uncomfortable, but snug. I am not too worried about the bulge, even if it did show. I like this type of skirt,I do prefer denim but this is different. Sadly that Porsche isn't mine :blue: It is a German skirt wearer showing off his car. I thought he looked good, and his car was great! I generally follow JeffB1959 and he looks great in his denim pencil skirts, and the look is tasteful. The trick is to find a skirt that is tight around the tummy and hips, but with a sufficient sized vent at the back, it's still functional yet draws people to look at your legs. I rarely suffer any mishaps in my skirt in terms of flashing as you tend to keep your knees together except uncrossing your legs... but if someone is determined to see tomorrow's laundry, that's their choice. I am just wearing clothes and getting on with my day. Denim is quite strong and always seen as masculine, which is good. I do wear more formal office versions of the pencil skirt, but even if there was a bulge, I am not ashamed as it's a natural part of me. As you can see this is me in my grey skirt. I have more of a bulge in my belly :oops: but even the tights help in that department. If your cargo is, er, well contained, it is no big deal :mrgreen:
Last edited by Kilty on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

For me, they need to be full. Either A-line, pleated, ruffled, etc. I like being able to have enough freedom of movement to be able to jump over a large puddle while wearing a knee-length skirt. Unfortunately, most denim skirt and most pencil skirts don't provide that. I do have one that's kind of a trumpet shape, which is shown in a few of my looks. That one is the preferred style of denim skirt for me. Four or five pockets, and a wide hem.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Here is a denim miniskirt I wear when driving - in the summer.
DSC02330.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

skirtingtoday wrote:Here is a denim miniskirt I wear when driving - in the summer.
Good to know I'm not the only one driving in a mini (not driving a mini).
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I too love to drive wearing a mini skirt, but the wife don't like it so when she is with me I wear one of my kilts, which she likes :D :D
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Anthony, what are you driving... in your mini?

The vehicle looks really cool from what I can see. Lots of levers, an enormous wheel.... all metal construction... I love it!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

moonshadow wrote:Anthony, what are you driving... in your mini?

The vehicle looks really cool from what I can see. Lots of levers, an enormous wheel.... all metal construction... I love it!
Looks like an old Landrover
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Gregg1100 wrote:

Correct.
Yes, the only car one can clean out with a hose.
Front view in denimini pics
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote:
Gregg1100 wrote:

Correct.
Yes, the only car one can clean out with a hose.
Front view in denimini pics
What year?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.