Best skirt styles for men

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Best skirt styles for men

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: What year?
1964 Series 2a - 5 door station wagon.
I have been to most parts of Australia in it, including a couple of desert crossings.
I don't use it alot these days because of fuel costs, still OK for going out getting firewood with a trailer.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

After writing my specs for a skirt, I came across these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Khaki-Green- ... SwGYVW9vwD
I like the khaki and can cope with the pink accents.
They have a selection of colours & combinations. Seems like good value for those in the UK.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I prefer the A-Line and other full styles about knee length [should hit at or just below the knee].

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Clearly it's all a matter of taste, Fred said, "at or below the knee," I prefer at or above.
Pencil skirts can be a little restrictive, but your basic straight suit skirt or your basic 5-pocket jeans skirts are my skirt preferences.
Cargo skirts always struck me as a unisex item. I concur with denimini, that wrap, cargo number's a winner!

But let's talk dresses:
- Sheaths, as one female fashion writer pointed out, they play to our strengths, literally, they show off our arms and legs that the "fairer sex" love to look at
- Coat dresses, they seem to have disappeared, but I'd love to have one that's fashioned after a good pinstriped suit
- Wrap dresses, cut to wrap around a male body showing a typical male V-neck
- Shirtdresses, including those styled after polo shirts, durrh.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

skirted84 wrote:Just looking for opinions on good skirt styles. I have some sewing ability and know a good dressmaker who could make things a reality. hat you would like to see in the menswear in Marks, John Lewis etc. or similar elsewhere in a world where skirts were unisex. Ideas to date include

Blue denim with male button, fly and jeans style 5 pocket
Box pleated camoflague
Tartan skirt from kilt weight fabric, possibly with pleats or gathering
Kilt made from lightweight poly/viscose

Knee length in all cases. And children as well, for boys or even unisex which is easier for kids.

Any more ideas, post away.
I think that most of the above are 'sort of' available, just not targetted at men.

I have a blue denim with male fly and 5 pockets( just the pockets that are female-hand sized..)
I have box pleated denim and cotton skirts.
This one reads like an actual kilt. :-)
Tactical 5.11 Kilt, which I have in the dark green.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Spotted this little number at House of Frazer for £10. Speedy delivery and fits perfectly, has pockets & is 20 inches long, so short enough like shorts but not mini. Wide A-line gives lots of room and it's lovely for Summer temps.

I'll 'model' it very soon....

Tom
Oasis Emily Sk..png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I like the skater skirts for the length about 15 inches and the little a line flair The trouble with them is no pockets. The trouble with most skirts is that the pockets are too small for a mans wallet or a cell phone.
When I play golf I use one of the old school fanny packs . They make sense because they are big enough for wallet etc and a few golf balls.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi All,
There isn't one skirt that is "best"!
We come in all shapes and sizes, just like the ladies.
Equally, some styles will work with you, some won't.
Experiment, get to know yourself and what makes you "happy/comfortable"!
Remember, we generally come to this late in our lives, so we don't have the benefit of youthful practice.
Take a chance on a rank outsider, you could win big time!
If not, learn and try again!
I still chortle and shudder in equal measure at some of my early attempts!
Steve.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

to me it's skater skirts. they are very flowy towards the bottom because of the wide flare. even sitting down you don't have to worry so much about flashing because the fabric falls between knees. you still has to look out but not like other styles. you DO have to watch for wind gusts though.