Ignored = No Sale

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
bobmoore

Ignored = No Sale

Post by bobmoore »

Yesterday the wife and I went to look at new houses because we are planning to sell out and downsize. We went to Crosslands and--me in a kilt--and began to look at models. A woman spoke to us briefly, then we were ignored. This place was having an 'open house' and had plenty of help on hand. If it was because of my skirt they screwed themselves out of a possible sale. Well, skirt or no, they screwed themselves.
"You can lead a liberal to truth, but you can't make it think."
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ignored = No Sale

Post by Fred in Skirts »

bobmoore wrote: Yesterday the wife and I went to look at new houses because we are planning to sell out and downsize. We went to Crosslands and--me in a kilt--and began to look at models. A woman spoke to us briefly, then we were ignored. This place was having an 'open house' and had plenty of help on hand. If it was because of my skirt they screwed themselves out of a possible sale. Well, skirt or no, they screwed themselves.
I think you are doing the right thing, and I would send a letter to the head of the company and let them know they missed a sale and why. See if you get a response and just what they say.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

bobmoore wrote: Yesterday the wife and I went to look at new houses because we are planning to sell out and downsize. We went to Crosslands and--me in a kilt--and began to look at models. A woman spoke to us briefly, then we were ignored. This place was having an 'open house' and had plenty of help on hand. If it was because of my skirt they screwed themselves out of a possible sale. Well, skirt or no, they screwed themselves.
It's almost impossible to say whether the skirt had anything to do with it. I know I've been in trousers and have been ignored at various establishments. I think a lot of it has to do with just lousy customer service.

Or they could be just snooty. Best to avoid business with them then, you don't want to plop down that kind of money with a business that doesn't take you seriously enough to give you the time of day. It's not like we're talking about a five dollar value meal here. A house is a major investment.

It's interesting though, I have noticed in businesses where "big money moves"... it seems I'm ignored a lot. And of note is that to date I have never make a big purchase (car, house, etc) wearing a skirt, and yet I still struggle to be taken as a serious buyer. Maybe it's because I just look poor.

I do want to make my next vehicle purchase in a skirt though. As I think it might throw the salesman off, and give me at least some advantage.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

There are probably some local business review websites where you can comment. I suggest being concise about what happened, and come off frustrated and disappointed but not hostile. Or remark to your fellow customers at the next place you shop. They say a customer who has a good experience tells one person, but a customer with a bad experience tells ten people.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Post a review on Yelp.com...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I would definitely write but not say that the skirt was the main problem as you don't really know. I have been skirted into shops large and small and received good service and had some great chats with the assistant. By all means mention that you were wearing a skirt and if this was the reason you were ignored then some retraining is required. If it was just plain bad customer service then some retraining is required.

I work in retail and when working with customers I listen to them and make suggestions and listen to their responses. Recently I worked with a couple of ladies, mother and daughter, who were considering purchasing a rug and even though the sale took me over twenty minutes to complete, that didn't bother me. A few days later I received the following from the customer through an exceptional service report:

"Dennis - My mum is in her eighties with not very good eyesight Dennis was so helpful and patient with her in helping her decide which rug would suit her needs." I had two rugs on the floor for a good ten minutes for them to decide between and I kept leaving them to talk it over and so that I could deal with other customers ( I sold another two rugs during this time ) and going back to them. No pressure was applied and I told them that I would rather they didn't buy a rug than buy one that they weren't happy with. This is the level of customer service I strive for every time.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Sinned wrote:I would definitely write but not say that the skirt was the main problem as you don't really know. I have been skirted into shops large and small and received good service and had some great chats with the assistant. By all means mention that you were wearing a skirt and if this was the reason you were ignored then some retraining is required. If it was just plain bad customer service then some retraining is required.

I work in retail and when working with customers I listen to them and make suggestions and listen to their responses. Recently I worked with a couple of ladies, mother and daughter, who were considering purchasing a rug and even though the sale took me over twenty minutes to complete, that didn't bother me. A few days later I received the following from the customer through an exceptional service report:

"Dennis - My mum is in her eighties with not very good eyesight Dennis was so helpful and patient with her in helping her decide which rug would suit her needs." I had two rugs on the floor for a good ten minutes for them to decide between and I kept leaving them to talk it over and so that I could deal with other customers ( I sold another two rugs during this time ) and going back to them. No pressure was applied and I told them that I would rather they didn't buy a rug than buy one that they weren't happy with. This is the level of customer service I strive for every time.
"...This is the level of customer service I strive for every time..." Excellent... we need more people like you here in the US! :)

--Rick
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thank you KM,

It's not hard to provide this level of service. In fact I don't really think of myself as selling rugs, for instance, and many times a purchase hasn't been made there and then but the customer has gone away to say make some measurements in order to come again and finalise the purchase. All I am doing is clarifying the thoughts through astute questioning of the customer. The right rug sells itself, after all the customer wants to buy, all I am doing is helping.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I don't think that it was the skirt, probably they were just lazy or ignorant. It would be worthwhile writing so they know they lost a sale, you might get some satisfaction of stirring things up. I think we have to have the attitude that it is never the skirt and no-one would be so small minded, otherwise we may become paranoid.
The level of service you give unfortunately seems an old fashioned notion, although in country areas it is still there. I went to my paint supplier, 120 miles distant, to get some enamel for steel window frames; I asked for 4 litres and he enquired about the size and number of frames and then said "Oh, one litre would be more that enough". I always buy my paint there and never ask about the price.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

This kind of treatment often occurs when salespeople are on commission and only a small percentage of customers actually buys, and purchases take a long time. This causes the salespeople to zero in on stereotypes of who might buy and who's a, "waste of time."

Not that I support or excuse such behavior - I'm just saying it's a problem that happens.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

A kilt, although not popular mens wear is still well recognizable to all, so I think they were just being ignorant. Even if you were in any other type of skirt it wouldn't matter. They choose who to sell to, ironically the smartly dressed 'investors' they chase, end ip buying the houses just to then rent out to the likes of us :roll:

I think a kilt looks smart, it was all I wore (hence the name) before buying skirts as they were so much cheaper and easy to manage. I still mix it up and wear trousers as well, and choose where I would be skirted and where I wouldn't. Still, go to the next viewing in a skirt, and compare it to another viewing wearing trousers and you might find its just the snotty attitude of estate agents. They are despised on this side of the Pond as well... :roll:
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I have dealt with estate agents in both France and Spain, wearing a kilt on all occasions, and never had to complain of bad service. Considering the huge percentage commission they take, why would they worry about what the customer is wearing?
Skirted or not, in most places, we are just customers, so let's not get paranoid about being different. We may feel different, but to much of the world we are just a part of the masses.
Martin
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

Maybe she's just a diehard second waver who finally seized the chance to utter the phrase, "He was wearing a skirt. He was 'asking for it.'"

No flames on that, please. Just trying to engage in some levity. I realize humour is subjective.
bobmoore

Post by bobmoore »

Thanks for the feedback. The customer service angle is probably right. I went to Piercing Pagoda yesterday, kilted, and was kept waiting close to an hour while the lone clerk messed with one customer. She didn't even glance at me for the first 40 minutes. She was clueless about customer service. I didn't say anything to her, but I sure did talk to corporate about it, and their online satisfaction survey got an ear full.
"You can lead a liberal to truth, but you can't make it think."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

bobmoore wrote:Thanks for the feedback. The customer service angle is probably right. I went to Piercing Pagoda yesterday, kilted, and was kept waiting close to an hour while the lone clerk messed with one customer. She didn't even glance at me for the first 40 minutes. She was clueless about customer service. I didn't say anything to her, but I sure did talk to corporate about it, and their online satisfaction survey got an ear full.
I get that a lot, even in trousers. I think customer services has just gone down the tubes in recent years. In fact, in my skirted transactions, for some reason, SA's seem to be more attentive to me. Except for the auto parts stores.... for some reason I can tell I make them uncomfortable.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.