Elasticated Skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Elasticated Skirts

Post by Gregg1100 »

saw this skirt on Saturday at Marks and Spencer---£21

And this one in Bon Marche £16

Both have elasticated rear bands
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Elasticated Skirts

Post by Sinned »

So what are you asking. I wouldn't buy either as my max for a skirt is a fiver. Of the two I preferred the first one.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Not asking anything. What gave you that idea ?
I was just showing what was available in the UK shops to whoever may be interested. The Marks and Sparks one was a bit expensive for what is is, but good and thick quality, the Bon Marche one not so good.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Sort of my style, but the price is out of my range for something not especially unique.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I have a couple of skirts like that. I like them. But I certainly wouldn't pay $30 USD for them.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Cool little pockets. I prefer the lampshade look (A line) on my skirts though. No much on tubes or squares. Regarding "elasticated" (elastic?) That's the only type I will buy. To me, buying a non elastic skirt is just too hit or miss. It's hard to find one that fits just right, either too loose, or too tight. I tried one on today, a really cool tiered denim skirt at the GoodWill, but it just had a zipper and no elastic. Sadly, it wouldn't zip up. I was very disappointed because it looked like an awesome skirt. Oh well... better luck next time.

As far as price goes... I've definitely paid more for skirts. Some of my skirts from MMD have been as high as $45. But they were truly unique and hard to find, even in thrift stores. So I'd have to go with what Dillon said on this one. Thrift stores everywhere are overflowing with these types for a few dollars each.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote: I tried one on today, a really cool tiered denim skirt at the GoodWill, but it just had a zipper and no elastic. Sadly, it wouldn't zip up. I was very disappointed because it looked like an awesome skirt. Oh well... better luck next time.

If the price was right and it fit I would have bought it and replaced the zipper for a few dollars. If I really liked it I can make it work!!

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I got a longish denim skirt at a thrift store. No belt loops, no elastic, and a little too big around the waist, almost falling off. But the waistband had plenty of room to put a piece of elastic in it, an easy job taking minimal sewing skills. Just needed the willingness to make a couple holes in the inside of the waistband to start and stop the elastic.
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by owen »

Elastic waists should be the norm for skirts, as we all gain and lose weight as the years (even months) pass. The reason they're not, I reckon, is due to the industry dictating fashions, making elastic waists permanently unfashionable. Instead of having our clothes adapt to our changing sizes, they want us to dump our old stuff which still has plenty of life left and buy more of the same, in our new size. Terrible punishment isn't it? :alien:
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

owen wrote:Elastic waists should be the norm for skirts, as we all gain and lose weight as the years (even months) pass. The reason they're not, I reckon, is due to the industry dictating fashions, making elastic waists permanently unfashionable. Instead of having our clothes adapt to our changing sizes, they want us to dump our old stuff which still has plenty of life left and buy more of the same, in our new size. Terrible punishment isn't it?
Or belt loops. Belts adapt to our changing size just fine.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote:
owen wrote:Elastic waists should be the norm for skirts, as we all gain and lose weight as the years (even months) pass. The reason they're not, I reckon, is due to the industry dictating fashions, making elastic waists permanently unfashionable. Instead of having our clothes adapt to our changing sizes, they want us to dump our old stuff which still has plenty of life left and buy more of the same, in our new size. Terrible punishment isn't it?
Or belt loops. Belts adapt to our changing size just fine.
Beat me to it Jim... Yep, belts and men go hand in hand, whereas women are known for constantly switching out clothes, men tend to wear the same jeans, year after year. I know when I purchase trousers, I always liked to get the size that is just a fine hair large, maybe by and inch. That way I could always draw the belt in, yet still had room to grow out a little during the holidays. With non elastic skirts, I struggle to get in a size 14, some I can't. With elastic skirts, I've been known to squeeze in size 10's. Which I good, because I like a good tight fit around the waist. Makes me feel secure that the skirt isn't going to fall off me.

I've got a couple of skirts, with elastic, and belt hooks! Those rock!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.