Male Shirt Dress

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Male Shirt Dress

Post by Gordon »

I found this article the other day about a custom made shirt dress.
http://liberatemensclothing.tumblr.com/ ... nd-of-mine

"graceduval:
In early July a close friend of mine asked me to make him a dress for a friend’s upcoming wedding. As a huge contra dance fan and a resident near Asheville, NC, it was imperative to him that the skirt be extremely full, ready for a long contra set and many spins. The voluminous pleated skirt, mixed with his desire for a traditional style western shirt made this design an irresistible challenge.
He bought the fabrics and fasteners he wanted, sent them to me, and I got to work. Luckily Julian happens to be almost the exact same size and isn’t opposed to wearing the occasional dress, so he stood in as my fit model. A few days and many pleats later and the dress was finished, complete with paisley details, brass snaps, some deep pockets, and a bronze belt buckle that Chrome kindly sent my way.
After a quick photo shoot it was shoved into an envelope and sent off to North Carolina, where I have word that it spun the night away at that wedding. "

More pictures at the link.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Male Shirt Dress

Post by Kilty »

I don't care for the shirt dress but a lot of the skirted ensembles on the tumblr page look very presentable and quite wearable too! :wink:
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Gordon wrote:I found this article the other day about a custom made shirt dress.
http://liberatemensclothing.tumblr.com/ ... nd-of-mine

"graceduval:
In early July a close friend of mine asked me to make him a dress for a friend’s upcoming wedding. As a huge contra dance fan and a resident near Asheville, NC, it was imperative to him that the skirt be extremely full, ready for a long contra set and many spins...
Wow! I must set aside some time to see if I can make one like that for myself, ready for the Summer folk festival season.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

A nice step in the right direction :!:
For me it is a bit too long but the detail
on the outfit is great.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I absolutely love it! Everything about it. If I had one of these I'd wear it all the time! I even like the designs on the shoulders.

The only thing I don't like about it really has nothing to do with the dress, and that's the aviator sunglasses. (never a fan of those)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have an Eddie Bauer shirt dress on backorder, so getting interested in being out in something different.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I almost resent you for posting this thread Gordon.... you show me this totally AWESOME dress that I can not buy!

Tease tease TEASE!

I'll get you back... :twisted: :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

I am not much of a dress wearer because the female shape never fits my body. In the topic "seeking opinion" Moonshadow shows why; the waist line of his dress is way too high.
Now for the first time I see a guy wearing a dress shaped for a man's body and it looks perfect.
In fact I could wear a dress like that! There's a first time for everything.

Jan.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

i want one :D
bobmoore

Post by bobmoore »

That dress looks great! Your friend must live near me. I live only a few miles from Asheville.
"You can lead a liberal to truth, but you can't make it think."
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That is an outstanding piece of work, and kudos and accolades should be handed out in spades to not only the woman who put it together, but also the man she put it together for. The design captures, almost perfectly, what I'd been going on about for years about the "shirtdress" being a good jumping-off point for men's dresses.

I especially like the whimsical juxtaposition of a fairly military style with the paisley trim -- BRILLIANT! The only change I'd make to it would be to add basic epaulettes for slinging things like camera-bags and purses from.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

bobmoore wrote:That dress looks great! Your friend must live near me. I live only a few miles from Asheville.
As far as I know, that makes you the most geographically closest male skirter to me!

If you're ever up in the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee, hit me up!
-Andrea
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

moonshadow wrote:I almost resent you for posting this thread Gordon.... you show me this totally AWESOME dress that I can not buy!
Tease tease TEASE!
I'll get you back... :twisted: :lol:
I'm sure you could find a local seamstress and show her the picture and you could buy it!
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Gordon wrote:I'm sure you could find a local seamstress and show her the picture and you could buy it!
Maybe someday.
-Andrea
bobmoore

Post by bobmoore »

moonshadow wrote:
bobmoore wrote:That dress looks great! Your friend must live near me. I live only a few miles from Asheville.
As far as I know, that makes you the most geographically closest male skirter to me!

If you're ever up in the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee, hit me up!
I'll do that for sure. But where is the "Tri-Cities" area?
I'm actually in Haywood County, which lies against the Tennessee state line.
"You can lead a liberal to truth, but you can't make it think."