Utilikilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Utilikilt

Post by Bamaskirting »

I have heard the Utilikilt name bounced around this site quite often. I decided to look at some images, and I came across pictures of camouflage ones. I thought they were really cool. I headed over to their site to have a look. I did not see a camo one, but I did learn I will never be able to afford one, I was browsing through their pictures, and I came across a picture of Zakk Wylde wearing a Utilikilt onstage. I thought that was really cool!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Utilikilt

Post by Kilted_John »

eBay. I used to work for the company. Will I buy a new one from them? Nope. Can't afford it with all the other bills that I have to deal with, plus most of the new stuff, don't really care for. The nightwatch camo one I own dates from before 2004. Paid $59, plus shipping for it. My other one is much newer (a blue denim original neotraditional) that I bought off eBay for $85, plus shipping. There are at least a few pics of that one both on my Lookbook profile, as well as on my flickr. I frequently wear the camo one when I'm visiting the junkyard for car parts. Provided I'm not going to be crawling under a car or pulling engine parts, it's perfect. Large enough pockets to hold my keys, phone, wallet, and a basic set of tools.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

They used to advertise a scratch and dent rack that was more reasonable. I haven't looked at their site in years since I have plenty to wear right now.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I'm in the UK and got my black utilility for around half what I pay for a pair of jeans. Its well made and I know it will last years longer than jeans because I wear out the knees in jeans so fast. I also wear it most often in winter because its warmer than my summer skirts and I can go anywhere in it with out worrying about odd looks.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

Kilted_John wrote:eBay. I used to work for the company. Will I buy a new one from them? Nope. Can't afford it with all the other bills that I have to deal with, plus most of the new stuff, don't really care for. The nightwatch camo one I own dates from before 2004. Paid $59, plus shipping for it. My other one is much newer (a blue denim original neotraditional) that I bought off eBay for $85, plus shipping. There are at least a few pics of that one both on my Lookbook profile, as well as on my flickr. I frequently wear the camo one when I'm visiting the junkyard for car parts. Provided I'm not going to be crawling under a car or pulling engine parts, it's perfect. Large enough pockets to hold my keys, phone, wallet, and a basic set of tools.

-J
yeah I didn't too much care for the ones I seen. I was more interested in camo one. they do look nice and well made though. I'm sure I could have something equally well made around here. but even though I don't like the style they offer, it still is a cool idea
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bamaskirting wrote:I have heard the Utilikilt name bounced around this site quite often. I decided to look at some images, and I came across pictures of camouflage ones. I thought they were really cool. I headed over to their site to have a look. I did not see a camo one, but I did learn I will never be able to afford one, I was browsing through their pictures, and I came across a picture of Zakk Wylde wearing a Utilikilt onstage. I thought that was really cool!
Utilikilt is exhorbitanatly pricy.

Type www.utkilts.com or, if you're willing to spend over $100, www.altkilt.com.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Not to forget Union Kilts, now on sale. Very cheapo! www.kilts.org
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Also there's http://www.stillwaterkilts.com :D
I have 3 of their kilts. The fit AND customer service
is phenomenal :!: Prices have gone up since I bought
my SWK's but not that much :) You'll be very
pleased with their products. I have the 'standard'
kilts but they do offer economy versions. Nice thing
is you can throw them in the washer on cold, then hang
dry. I do this of an evening, dry over-night, and I'm
ready to go :!: :D :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I bought my utilikilt many years ago at their booth at a Celtic festival. After looking at today's prices I got a great deal at $125.00. However, it's my least favorite of all my kilts. It's too stiff and heavy. I do love the pocket though. I can fit a 6 pack in the 3 pockets. I prefer the Stillwater kilts even though they are a wool/acrylic blend.
bobmoore

Post by bobmoore »

Utililkilts has priced themselves right out of the market for the average person. When they were a hopeful startup I bought one of the "first 500". It is pretty ratty, but I still have it. The price? $49.00. They long since quit making anything that appeals to me.
"You can lead a liberal to truth, but you can't make it think."
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

bobmoore wrote:Utililkilts has priced themselves right out of the market for the average person. When they were a hopeful startup I bought one of the "first 500". It is pretty ratty, but I still have it. The price? $49.00. They long since quit making anything that appeals to me.
I was thinking they are so expensive because of a very limited market. Because they can't be that hard to make. Or so I think.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

bobmoore wrote:Utililkilts has priced themselves right out of the market for the average person. When they were a hopeful startup I bought one of the "first 500". It is pretty ratty, but I still have it. The price? $49.00. They long since quit making anything that appeals to me.
Utilikilts, if not the first producer of utility kilts, at least got in early and defined the market. People will see me in another kilt and ask, "Is that a Utilikilt?" They probably have the largest presence of any modern kilt company, and that's why they get away with charging so much.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Also, I should think many of their customers know what a traditional kilt costs, and only compare their prices with that.

The benefits of being very well known!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair