deciding what skirt to wear

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

deciding what skirt to wear

Post by Bamaskirting »

I've never had a problem deciding what to wear. until I started wearing skirts. I needed to go to hobby lobby to pick up a paint marker for a wooden football I made. I decided I would go in a skirt, but I wanted to wear one I have not worn out yet. so I got int my black with white stripes midi skirt. put on my lace trimmed tank top and my only shoes- black and white nikes. I ran around the house looking in mirrors and went to car. I decided I must look hideous in those shoes. so I then changed into a tshirt. that didn't seem to help.
after a bit of deliberation, I got out my skater skirt. the teal one. I feel it works okay with my nikes. so off I went. I am soon going to add to my skirt collection and I need some shoes too. I have a feeling I will have trouble deciding in the future. I almost went in the black and white skirt anyways. hideous shoes or not. I ended up flipping a coin 2 out of 3 to decide.
here is a picture of the shoes with black skirt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: deciding what skirt to wear

Post by Kilted_John »

Try black socks. Maybe black kneesocks. That should make it look better than with the athletic socks.

-J
Last edited by Kilted_John on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I think you look great as you are. :D
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I think that is fine. Important to be happy with the way you look if going out in a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

melsav wrote:I think you look great as you are. :D
Thanks. I just don't want to look retarded. I believe it's the socks. I can't do anything about skinny legs although they look bigger when more leg is showing.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

melsav wrote:I think you look great as you are! :D
Yup! I agree!
No worries about that look - I think it's great! 8) :D :thumright:

I much prefer white sox too ( with black trainers) rather than the (usual, boring) black sox.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Bamaskirting wrote: I can't do anything about skinny legs although they look bigger when more leg is showing.
I quite understand, more in proportion with more leg showing. It is one reason I don't wear knee length skirts and prefer minis.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I am not keen on the current fashion of having a white stripe round the soles of shoes, but with this black & white skirt, black & white shoes seem perfectly reasonable. The white socks do not bother me, since that is what so many people wear.
I would not call you skirt a midi; it's knee-legth, the best style for the active man.

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bamaskirting wrote:...I believe it's the socks. I can't do anything about skinny legs although they look bigger when more leg is showing.
I'd probably skip the ankle socks and go with either shoe height, tights, or none. But whatever.

Women do sometimes wear ankle socks with skirts or shorts, though, so it's not a major faux pas.

Don't sweat the skinny legs. Most people with thick legs would die for them.

As to the shoes, men's shoes can look pretty clunky under a skirt. Some black leather women styles would look good with that skirt, though, especially with some tights color-coordinated weir top.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

melsav wrote:I think you look great as you are. :D
I agree. Nix the knee socks idea. You present a great representation of a skirted man; we couldn't ask for a better model out there.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

Thanks guys.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Having worn knee socks with my Skirtcraft skirt that hits me at about the same place as the skirt in your picture, I would say don't try them. If the socks aren't quite long enough, you end up with an inch or two of bare leg between the socks and the skirt. To me, that's a really awkward look. Since I prefer wearing socks with my skirts (for warmth), I went out this week and bought a pair of over the knee socks. I have others of that length, just none the right color for my khaki skirt.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

skirted_in_SF wrote: If the socks aren't quite long enough, you end up with an inch or two of bare leg between the socks and the skirt. To me, that's a really awkward look.
That is really funny. Kilt-wearers insist, there should always be some bare flesh above the socks. I find this quite satisfactory, and since knees have fewer cold-sensitive nerve endings than other parts of the legs, there is no problem even in chilly conditions. For me (only somewhat traditionalist) as for the die-hards of the kilt police sticking to Victorian era standards, covering the knees just does not look right.

Martin
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I just can't deal with knee socks, especially if garters are needed.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Admittedly, I'm not too keen on the socks either. But the important is how you felt about what you wore.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.