Forced air

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Forced air

Post by moonshadow »

That feeling when you're a bit chilly, and you hear the heat strips kick on the heat pump, and then proceed to stand over the floor register blowing really warm air up a long skirt.

My favorite one is by the microwave. "What are you doing?" They ask. "Just warming things up" my reply.

Ahhhhhhhh.......

P.S. Also is quite pleasing on hot sweltery summer days and the AC is on full blast!

Try doing that in a pair of pants!

Yeah... I'm a strange fella.

On and don't worry, I don't get a Marylin Monroe thing going on... it's not that beefy of an air handler. Although I do think it would be fun to try.

And this won't work if your air registers are on the ceiling... unless you want to hang upside down. But then again, I would imagine the skirt would then drape over your head, thus not producing the desired effect.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Forced air

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote:That feeling when you're a bit chilly, and you hear the heat strips kick on the heat pump, and then proceed to stand over the floor register blowing really warm air up a long skirt.
It's a wonderful feeling on a cold day. I have a 3kW electric fan heater on the floor of my workshop/shed, aimed to blow across my feet when I am sitting at the workbench. The warm air collects under my skirt and in a few minutes I am warm as toast, even though the overall air temperature may not yet have crawled above 0 degrees C.

Has anyone considered promoting skirts as fuel economy devices?

[Please post your jokes about "fan heater" in the off-topic section ...or better still, keep them to yourself!]
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

My wife has been amused to see me standing with my backside to the wood stove insert with the back of the skirt elevated to collect the heat from the blower vents... I simply advised her to find a skirt and "try it; you'll like it!"
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

I once rented a house with an old-fashioned gas heater (unvented1), and standing above it, straddling it, caused the same result. though the skirt captured natural convection, not forced air.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

dillon wrote:My wife has been amused to see me standing with my backside to the wood stove..
Story:
One day during The Great Flood, Noah's ark sprung a leak. The little dog was sniffing around in the bilges and was the first to spot it. He stuck his nose into the leak and barked and barked until he attracted the attention of Noah's wife. The leak was getting quite big, so Mrs. Noah blocked it with her hands while the little dog found Noah and dragged him by his coat tails down into the bilges. By now, the leak was even bigger, so Noah sat in it while his sons went overboard and patched it from the outside.

The ark was saved.

So that, dear children, is why to this very day, dogs have wet noses, women have cold hands ...and men stand with their backs to the fire.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

moonshadow wrote:Ahhhhhhhh.......

P.S. Also is quite pleasing on hot sweltery summer days and the AC is on full blast!

Try doing that in a pair of pants!
Take me back many years to the 1980s when we had a computer room full of DEC VAX11/780s and disk drives the size of washing machines. There was forced aircon through vents in the floor and in the summer the girls would stand over the vents to get the cooling effect up their skirts - how I envied them!
About that time there was a software engineer who dared to wear a skirt to work. Sadly he was told to go home and change :(
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Charlie wrote:About that time there was a software engineer who dared to wear a skirt to work. Sadly he was told to go home and change :(
That engineer wouldn't happen to be you would it? :)

Sadly not much has changed as far as the work place double standard goes.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Charlie wrote:Take me back many years to the 1980s when we had a computer room full of DEC VAX11/780s and disk drives the size of washing machines. There was forced aircon through vents in the floor and in the summer the girls would stand over the vents to get the cooling effect up their skirts - how I envied them!
You must've had a warm computer room. I recall back in 2013 or so going up to the co-location facility that my last company was renting space in and made the mistake of wearing a skirt. The place used to be a tier-1 telephone switch back in the crossbar days, and it wasn't just air-conditioned, the bloody place was refrigerated -- and the floor-tiles with the ventilation holes were placed in the middle of the "cold aisles". I was wearing a heavy cotton knit skirt and not only did I have to fight with the thing to keep the hem down I also darn near froze parts of my anatomy that I'd rather not have gotten cold.
About that time there was a software engineer who dared to wear a skirt to work. Sadly he was told to go home and change :(
There's a real pioneer! You didn't happen have a hand in that, did you Charlie?
moonshadow wrote:Sadly not much has changed as far as the work place double standard goes.
I don't know about that. I wear a skirt to work more often than I'm in trousers. I'd not have tried that in the '80s.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

crfriend wrote:
There's a real pioneer! You didn't happen have a hand in that, did you Charlie?
That was before I 'saw the light' so perhaps he planted the skirt-wearing seed.
Regarding the warm computer room, if memory serves it was a particularly hot summer (rare in the UK). The whole floor in the building was built with a void underneath with the aircon blown in at one end. Floor vents were only in the computer room where we had to go to use the VT100 teriminals; other rooms were offices and a big open-plan office. Because of the unusually warm weather a few extra vents were positioned in the open plan office. In those days people were second to computers when it came to aircon and comfort, and it wasn't until the turn of the century that aircon became common at the factory. The place has been reduced to rubble now and a housing estate is being built in the remains - wish I'd been there with a sledge hammer to help destroy the place - wearing a skirt of course.
Like Pelmut, I have a fan heater in my workshop and enjoy getting warm legs. Standing over the exhaust of the vacuum cleaner while wearing a long skirt is also rather pleasant :D
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

pelmut, Stanley Holloway did a great version of the Marriott Edgar song "The 'ole in the Ark". I had a quick look on Utub but couldn't find it but here's a link to the lyrics http://allpoetry.com/The-'Ole-In-The-Ark. Best said in a broad Lancastrian accent. For those on t'other side of the lake this is a bit difficult to describe which is why I wish that I'd found Holloway's version. Perhaps someone who is better at searching can find it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Charlie wrote:Like Pelmut, I have a fan heater in my workshop and enjoy getting warm legs. Standing over the exhaust of the vacuum cleaner while wearing a long skirt is also rather pleasant :D
Interestingly, I have a small one of those mounted beneath my kitchen counter in between the microwave (top) and my computers (which wound up in a convenient empty hole that wasn't occupied by anything else. It's quite nice in the morning and on chilly evenings just to stand in front of that spot. Thanks to a convenient oversight on the part of the counter-installer, there's a gap between the back of the shelf that supports the microwave (a.k.a. "nuke") and the rear wall; this means that the computers eject their heat over the top of the nuke and out into the room -- and the fan on the baseboard-heater ejects straight out at floor-level. It's just about my favourite spot in my apartment. (I should get a picture of it.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thanks Uncle Al, that's the one. Stanley Holloway did a number of these monologues, featuring such characters as Private Sam Small and Albert who was eaten by a lion.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Sinned wrote:Thanks Uncle Al, that's the one. Stanley Holloway did a number of these monologues, featuring such characters as Private Sam Small and Albert who was eaten by a lion.
The first ones were written and perfomed by Marriott Edgar, I have recordings of him performing "The Battle of Hastings" and "The Magna Carta". Stanley Holloway 'adopted' them later, then began to write his own.