Thrift shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Rev Paul

Thrift shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army

Post by Rev Paul »

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not but here goes. I was in a Salvation Army store the other day taking a look at some skirts but didn't find much to my liking. There are a couple of others in the area that i might be try. So my question is how many of you use Thrift Shops, Goodwill, or the Salvation Army for some or maybe most of your skirt purchases?
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Thrift shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army

Post by Gordon »

95% of my skirts came from thrift shops. The rest were on sale greatly reduced.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I've bought about ten at Goodwill and kept about seven. The price of $5/skirt makes it relatively painless to find your size and style.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Gordon wrote:95% of my skirts came from thrift shops. The rest were on sale greatly reduced.
Me too. I think the most I have paid is $15 Canadian. I am now looking to get something a bit more expensive, may be from AltKilts.

The thrift store prices allow you to experiment more, which can be important when you're starting out. Until you try them, you really have no idea how a particular type of skirt feels, moves, works in your life.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

So far only thrift stores for skirts but for the 2 utility kilts. I get most of my clothes from thrift stores anyway. Lots more clothing is manufactured than needed.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have bought only one there in my life. 95% of mine are bought online. The rest fron Ross stores. I hate shopping.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I've looked in two of our local Goodwill stores and not found any skirts. My skirts are a mix of several that I had made for me, many from Lands' End or Vermont Country Store on sale or otherwise discounted, and my Skirtcraft skirt. I've also had four from the Gap/Old Navy but they've been moved on to donations.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm gonna pop some tags, only got twenty dolla's in my pocket....

...I wear your grandma's clothes.. I look incredible, I'm in this big a_s coat, from that thrift shop down the road...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I've acquired things from charity shops (as we call them), too. I used to work in one that made trying on easy.

The other day I took some things in to a different shop and had a look around ; masses of clothes of all shapes and sizes, but hardly a skirt on the horizon ! What is the world coming to?

Martin
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

The one second hand place that I go to has racks and racks of clothing. But when I go to the skirt rack there isn't much there.
Namaste,
Gordon
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Initially it was ebay. Anonymous, cheap and I could browse a wide selection of styles. I would message the person to verify length and waist size before bidding. MOH donated some skirts in bigger sizes. But lately I have been getting some from charity shops and well known stores such as ASDA, Matelan, Peacocks and so on. I have never paid more than 5 pounds sterling, including postage, for any skirt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Gordon wrote:The one second hand place that I go to has racks and racks of clothing. But when I go to the skirt rack there isn't much there.
Try another.

Also, keep trying, because the merchandise sometimes turns over pretty fast.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'd say use them, I do!
If you are cool with it, try on before you buy. I was a bit reticent in the past but found the "goodwill" shops most accepting.
If not, redonate and regard the cash as a good cause plus.
Steve.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Caultron wrote:
Gordon wrote:The one second hand place that I go to has racks and racks of clothing. But when I go to the skirt rack there isn't much there.
Try another.

Also, keep trying, because the merchandise sometimes turns over pretty fast.
I've been to all with 10 miles of me. Same story at each one. Women seldom wear skirts these days. I was going weekly for a while. Less so now cause moh says too many skirts now.
Namaste,
Gordon
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

Most of my skirts are from charity shops- I really enjoy browsing , and you can often find something unusual. Have never tried anything on in the shop - like Steve, I just regard any mistakes as a donation, and hand the item to an other charity shop.