Women not in skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Women not in skirts

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:That's one of the biggest reasons I don't like pencil skirts, or skirts with a really small diameter hem. Pencil skirts seem to be in vogue now with the ladies, and every time I see one walking I think of penguins waddling. Either that, or it's like they are trying to walk in a potato sack race. Personally I think it looks ridiculous.
I believe we may be having a problem with jargon here.

When I think "pencil skirt" i think the sort of tight-fitting mono-tube garment that hugs the hips and legs, usually with a slit in the back to allow motion, and which typically ends either slightly above, or at, the knees. These, depending on the fabric, cut, and depth of slit, can be practical garments for folks without a great length of leg.

Longer tight-fittings skirts, some with and some without walking slits, especially the ones without, are typically known as "hobble skirts" for a good reason: they hobble one's gait. These are usually deployed when someone wants to look entirely ornamental and doesn't particularly care about the practical needs required of one out and about in the world.
Especially those slim little cotton pencil skirts that drag the ground, to the point where the woman is constantly stepping on the hem.
This is the form that the "maxi" seems to be taking on at the moment, and is removing the garment from serious consideration as an everyday rig. We're seeing what the "Fashion Designers" think women might be interested in.

I have a few maxis from years gone by, and those all have vast hem circumferences that can easily accommodate my 3-foot single-step length (this implies slightly more than ten feet of circumference -- a lot of fabric). I've actually tested some of these at a run, and they work; modern ones would fail miserably, even at a slow amble.
Saw one worker at one of our stores sporting such a skirt that drug the floor at least by 3 or 4 inches. I could see she was having constant trouble trying to negotiate the garment.
Was it that way all the way 'round, or was it that way only astern? If it was that way only astern, then what you were seeing was a skirt with a train -- a rather rare thing in this day and age; if it was that way all the way 'round, then what you were seeing was somebody who didn't know how to purchase or hem a skirt, or who wasn't wearing heels to properly life the whole thing off the ground (a very sloppy mode, I'll add).

Having the hem on the ground ahead of one is an invitation to disaster as it's all too easy to trip over the hem unless one is paying very close attention to the thing. Even "floor-sweepers" are several millimetres above the deck in the front, although many sport very short trains that do drag a bit.
Several times she about tripped, and working around these hot fryers, ovens, and such, it's an accident waiting to happen. Not to mention it just looked dirty and sloppy with all the dirt and shoe marks along the bottom hem.
Two words: "Fashion victim". For one, it sounds like it was ill-fitting/fitted and, two, that she had no clue how to handle a long skirt in general (else she'd have know how to tame the thing). Dirt and slop are something entirely else altogether, and tend to be inexcusable; one just does not wear a skirt with a train in such environments. Period.

I keep toying with the idea of getting a skirt with a train, but to the best of my knowledge based on commentary here, that B&B is the only one of us who possesses such a thing. They're completely impractical in the modern world.
I like skirts you could do a split in.
Just don't hit the ground too hard or fast. :shock:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Perish the thought of dragging a hem on the ground. I'm a freedom fighter here and like to show my knees, which because of my musculature are definitely not knobbly.

With temps. here still in single figures Celsius it's thick tights, but when real Spring comes, leisure time is shorts or short skirts time, hairy tree-trunks and all!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Gregg1100 wrote:I must be lucky. Been married to my wife coming up to 47 years this year and never seen her in pants- never will. She does not even own a pair. Hates them with a passion. Women can suffer with nasties developing in nether region as men do, apparently, due to heat.
Cool beans! And congratulations on the long marriage, in all sincerity! :)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:I believe we may be having a problem with jargon here.

When I think "pencil skirt" i think the sort of tight-fitting mono-tube garment that hugs the hips and legs, usually with a slit in the back to allow motion, and which typically ends either slightly above, or at, the knees. These, depending on the fabric, cut, and depth of slit, can be practical garments for folks without a great length of leg.

Longer tight-fittings skirts, some with and some without walking slits, especially the ones without, are typically known as "hobble skirts" for a good reason: they hobble one's gait. These are usually deployed when someone wants to look entirely ornamental and doesn't particularly care about the practical needs required of one out and about in the world.
Perhaps, when I think of pencil, I think of virtually any skirt that hugs, or comes close to hugging the legs. The length can vary, although I personally wouldn't call a mini a pencil skirt as it's not really the shape of a pencil.

Your "hobble skirt" is a pencil... sharpened! :lol:

Okay, it's an upside down vase. At any rate, never fancied the style on either sex.
crfriend wrote:Was it that way all the way 'round, or was it that way only astern? If it was that way only astern, then what you were seeing was a skirt with a train -- a rather rare thing in this day and age; if it was that way all the way 'round, then what you were seeing was somebody who didn't know how to purchase or hem a skirt, or who wasn't wearing heels to properly life the whole thing off the ground (a very sloppy mode, I'll add).

Having the hem on the ground ahead of one is an invitation to disaster as it's all too easy to trip over the hem unless one is paying very close attention to the thing. Even "floor-sweepers" are several millimetres above the deck in the front, although many sport very short trains that do drag a bit.
All the way around. Personally, I don't think she was wearing it right. I believe the skirt was meant to be worn high on the waist. Although I didn't attempt or ask her to lift her blouse to show me, but I suspect she was wearing the skirt on low on her hip, as I can't imagine a designer creating such a cumbersome skirt meant to drag the floor all the way around. It just looked like your run of the mill cheap, elastic cotton skirt. No designs, no frill. Just the way they like it in Leb. PLAIN JANE. (color is of the devil!)

I can't imagine wearing a skirt with a trailing train. I'd have to hire a little kid to follow me everywhere and hold it for me.

I've got a few skirts that MIGHT qualify as a maxi, depends on who you ask and what their discipline is. They don't exactly drag the floor, but they touch the top of my feet. Normally I roll the waist a few times as I don't like a skirt to hang that low, however I'm wearing one now that stops just about 1/2 an inch from my feet, and I wore it this way all day. The first 15 minutes or so were somewhat awkward, but once I got used to it, it wasn't so bad. Wore it all over Roanoke today, never once had a wardrobe malfunction. Only stepped on it once, and that was when getting out of a chair at Shoney's in Dublin VA. Biggest thing I find to get into the habit of is to hold the skirt up a bit when climbing stairs. Level ground is a piece of cake.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I do have a skirt with a train, I wear it around the house quite regularly, not because of the train but because it is extremely comfortable, it is about the only long, full, cotton skirt I have found with an effective elastic waist and which actually fits me. The train is not a problem as I mostly walk forwards, not backwards! you do need to be aware that you effectively are wearing a ratchet, a skirt/none-return valve. However, as my eyes face forwards I am more than happy to turn around when reversing! Sometimes a helping hand to move the train as you turn is the only real modification in movement required. The slight noise as the train drags behind is nice, one of my cats also loves to grab anything dragging and so loves that skirt!
As the skirt is floor length and a full skirt it does need both hands when going upstairs, the train has nothing to do with that, just the cut of the skirt, I have actually used the train to lift the skirt out of the way when I needed both hands on the stairs, take the train between the legs and tuck it into the waistband at the front and you have a sort of Macabi like structure.
I do want more similar long full cotton skirts, but finding one with a 44 to 46 inch waist just isn't easy.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

B&B,
Are you sure that isn't your old blown-out furling genoa, you're using as a skirt-with-train! I suppose you could substitute elastic for the old jib sheet.

Cold, isn't it....

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Kirbstone wrote:B&B,
Are you sure that isn't your old blown-out furling genoa, you're using as a skirt-with-train! I suppose you could substitute elastic for the old jib sheet.

Cold, isn't it....

Tom
Now there's a thought!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

1456219173988.thumb.jpg.9111be579f710ea273d621e9b17bfc6d.jpg
dillon wrote:Those would be hobble skirts, if they come to the calves or ankles, not so much pencil skirts. Hobble skirts would/should be for formal or special occasions, not for daily fashion. That is just gauche. If you haven't worn a stretch pencil skirt, you might want to before you judge them.
I like them too! I like the fit and they are fine to walk around in provided there is a decent slit at the back :wink: my grey one is very comfy, doesn't ride up much and although it is not everyone's style, I just prefer them :)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:If you haven't worn a stretch pencil skirt, you might want to before you judge them.
Nah.... comfort aside, the style just doesn't suit me. I'll stick with my flowy Indian skirts and occasional high waisted tiered dress.

Nothing against those who wear them (at any length), but it's just not the image I want to project. :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
ElenaSkacenko

Post by ElenaSkacenko »

I think it's mostly because wearing skirts for women attracts more attention onto them, notably in public transport, whereas jeans are a more discreet option.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I've noticed that there are less skirts in the shops now, more racks are holding shorts and trousers. Could it be that women are now stopping wearing skirts and men are going to start wearing them?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

hairy wrote:I've noticed that there are less skirts in the shops now, more racks are holding shorts and trousers. Could it be that women are now stopping wearing skirts and men are going to start wearing them?
Definitely fewer women are wearing skirts,not so sure about men wearing more.

In most countries, skirts for men remains an emerging microtrend.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Caultron wrote:
hairy wrote:I've noticed that there are less skirts in the shops now, more racks are holding shorts and trousers. Could it be that women are now stopping wearing skirts and men are going to start wearing them?
What you have observed is true as regards the retail stores.
Even the Junior sizing is lacking but most of us are sized out of that market anyway.
But on line sales and ebay auctions still have plenty to size up and look !
Also factor in that when it is Summer the clothing manufactures are sewing up winter gear !
You just don't sew up a boat (container ship) load of gear and voila have it appear on the
rack the next day - wait till USA Labor day (first Monday in September) and winter attire
is appearing on the shelves and summer gear is in a classic market reduction to make way
for that winter stuff. When Christmas rolls around the Spring Fling stuff will be doing the
same. If you have hard to fit sizing tune your internet searches about 90-120 days ahead.
OR otherwise continue to do the Thrift shop thing for past date and hope for a stroke of
luck for the overlooked or return item sale.

Side note - women's pants (jeggings leggings etc.) are still for the most part void of the
masculine features; pockets; right hand zipper plackets; belt loops and that ugly baggy
pants look.

"POST NUMBER 1000" mile stone
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Caultron wrote:

Micro-trend is perhaps an understatement lol. Except for the meet-ups with skirtcafe members, I can only recall ever having seen two other men, out and about, in skirts throughout my whole life - I'm not including stag night one off wearers of course. Years ago I even went to the V&A Men in Skirts exhibition (wearing a skirt, naturally) and didn't see any other untrousered males there.

Working in three charity shops I get to see what is popular and what not. Skirts are not a big seller, except generally for the larger ladies whom, presumably, find it far easier to get in and out of something with an elasticated waistband. If that's the case then I agree... I love the convenience of slipping on a skater skirt or the likes and not having to faff around with buttons and zips.

Looking around where I live then I see very few women in skirts. It seems it has almost become alternative wear. Out of my female friends and women I work with I can't think of one that wears a skirt, although a few wear dresses.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

SkirtsDad wrote:Looking around where I live then I see very few women in skirts. It seems it has almost become alternative wear. Out of my female friends and women I work with I can't think of one that wears a skirt, although a few wear dresses.
That's so sad. One of the real joys of living and working where I do is all the women wearing skirts & dresses. It tends to be cool in SF so when the weather forecast is for a warm day, the summer dresses really come out.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco