Women not in skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Women not in skirts

Post by Kirbstone »

Well, here special occasions really brings 'em out.

Horse race meeting are BIG here and every day is 'Ladies' day, with awards given for the most stylish outfit. There's not a trousers to be seen. All the ladies wear dresses of some kind or other, plus gorgeous hats, of course. A clip of any race at Royal Ascot will amply illustrate this, but of course, the guys must all wear Morning Suits.

Last evening I had the great pleasure of singing in a local choir for the Dulavin (Co. Wiclow) Arts Festival concert with a very fine Concert Band of some 50 pieces. While we men were naturally required to wear black tux. and bow tie, all the ladies wore positively beautiful full length flowing Summer dresses in various colours. The visual effect was stunning.....and the music complimented that, too.....selections from the movies & musicals.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Kirbstone wrote: A clip of any race at Royal Ascot will amply illustrate this, but of course, the guys must all wear Morning Suits. Tom
Are you sure you don't mean Mourning Suits. :rofl:

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

They're called mourning suits to commemorate the death of men's fashion. :(
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Evening tails are generally what the head waiter at somewhere posh wears. They are black. Morning tails are essentially male wedding attire and are often grey/silver. Nothing mourning about them. I was married in such a suit, hired for the day and it fitted so well that I bought it and have it to this day......just for weddings, of course and ONE solitary day at Royal Ascot, now some years ago.

I also possess black evening tails inherited from my maternal grandfather which fit me like a glove. I use(d) them for my conducting in the days when I ran a choir. They only get dragged out nowadays for dress-up parties or am-drams. I have worn them with a kilt, mind.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

Kirbstone wrote:Evening tails are generally what the head waiter at somewhere posh wears. They are black. Morning tails are essentially male wedding attire and are often grey/silver. Nothing mourning about them. I was married in such a suit, hired for the day and it fitted so well that I bought it and have it to this day......just for weddings, of course and ONE solitary day at Royal Ascot, now some years ago.

I also possess black evening tails inherited from my maternal grandfather which fit me like a glove. I use(d) them for my conducting in the days when I ran a choir. They only get dragged out nowadays for dress-up parties or am-drams. I have worn them with a kilt, mind.
I read this with mixed feelings. On the one hand I am happy to see that tradition is alive and well someplace in the world. This reminds me of the scenes in Downton Abbey where the clothing for the men was dictated by very precise rules based on long-held tradition, which were changing through the life of the series, but not very much. On the other hand it highlights very clearly the difference in clothing choice between men and women . . . If you're a man, would you like to wear black, or black?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Orange Apple wrote:
Kirbstone wrote:Evening tails are generally what the head waiter at somewhere posh wears. They are black. Morning tails are essentially male wedding attire and are often grey/silver. Nothing mourning about them. I was married in such a suit, hired for the day and it fitted so well that I bought it and have it to this day......just for weddings, of course and ONE solitary day at Royal Ascot, now some years ago.

I read this with mixed feelings. On the one hand I am happy to see that tradition is alive and well someplace in the world. This reminds me of the scenes in Downton Abbey where the clothing for the men was dictated by very precise rules based on long-held tradition, which were changing through the life of the series, but not very much. On the other hand it highlights very clearly the difference in clothing choice between men and women . . . If you're a man, would you like to wear black, or black?
On the other hand it highlights very clearly the difference in clothing choice between men and women . . .

Ha the Henry FORD reply - your can have your car in any color as long as it is BLACK !

On a further note:
Isn't the male peacock the one that has the royal plumage - the male lion the mane ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

r.m.anderson wrote:[
Isn't the male peacock the one that has the royal plumage - the male lion the mane ?
Yep. We humans seem to have diverged from that.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

r.m.anderson wrote: Isn't the male peacock the one that has the royal plumage - the male lion the mane ?
I would just like to say,
that it is my opinion,
that long hair and other flamboyant
affectations,
of appearance are nothing more,
than the male's emergence
from his drab camouflage
into the gaudy plumage,
that is the birthright of his sex.

(Hair, of course.)
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jeanfor »

Couya wrote:The only good advice my wife had from a doctor was when one finally suggested she stop wearing trousers to avoid developing candida (fungus) problems in the vagina. From then on, no problems (for either of us!).

Martin
The fact is both men and women should wear skirts . I guess our ancestors knew something than our western society does not.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jeanfor wrote:The fact is both men and women should wear skirts.
Indeed, for most activities, skirts are both more attractive and more comfortable than trousers -- on both men and on women. Women have somehow convinced themselves that skirts are symbols of "male oppression" (whatever that may be) and are abandoning them so they can look more like men (and behave like faux men, with all the bad of both sexes and the good of neither).

Are skirts for everything? No, there are places where trousers make more sense. However, depending on how one lives his life, those can be relatively far between.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:Are skirts for everything? No, there are places where trousers make more sense. However, depending on how one lives his life, those can be relatively far between.
Operating a chain saw or working around a tractor PTO are two places I can recommend close fitting trousers. Skirts are out in those jobs.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...