Tights, pantyhose, knee scocks

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Rev Paul

Tights, pantyhose, knee scocks

Post by Rev Paul »

Now that the weather is starting to get a bit more cooler what do most wear under there skirts? Personally I like the look and feel of tights. With tights it is not necessary to shave one'es legs. I also like knee socks because when it is not real cold I sort of enjoy the cool wind on my legs.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tights, pantyhose, knee scocks

Post by Caultron »

I generally prefer tights, but if it's cold enough I step up to leggings.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I've been wearing black tights and kilt hose over them with my kilts.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Nothing more than kilt hose for me, however the skirts get longer, shorter skirts (knee length) get less time out of the closet and the ankle length skirts work overtime! I wouldn't wear shorts this time of year, same thing applies with fewer crotches!

I think that makes sense!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

It's stlii in the 70s F here, but they say cooler weather is coming this week. For six months or more I am bare-legged, but I look forward to fall and winter because I have varicose and spider veins, and appreciate weather where I can comfortably cover them. At this point in the season I am wearing sheer hosiery, both tights and thigh-highs, and lately fishnet hose. Soon the heavier tights will come out.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Just had no fewer than three knee-length skirts arrive from SammyDress and have yet to try them, but when I do, it'll be with some thick tights as we are just about to dip this weekend into the low 50s F, which will be proper November, it having been very mild (mid 60s) until now.

Any sort of thigh-highs just don't work at all for me, they don't stay up.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Still going bare skinned, but I do have some leggings prepared for when it gets colder. I wore some dark hose last week while grocery shopping with my jumper dress because it was dark blue, my undershirt was black, and I wanted something that would go with the look, but it was mainly for aesthetic purposes.

Tights are kind of fun, whether it's cool out or not, as I like the idea of experimenting with different color tights for different outfits. Currently all have is black, but I'm looking to add more color as soon as I find some.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Barefoot Joe

Post by Barefoot Joe »

With temperatures dropping below 10°C / 50°F I found it too cold to go bare skinned, so I tried a few options. Meggings are quite comfortable as they have room for the male parts and come with a fly but they are way more expensive than womans leggings and the fly isn't really a necessity for me because I won't use wall mounted urinals in a skirt. I tried a few womans leggings and found that they fit equally well with one size up and as they are quite cheap and available everywhere I now wear them frequently. For colder temperatures I already bought some thermal leggings in different colors.

As a drawback I find leggings very constrictive around hip and waist and also they very much diminish the sensations I get from the skirt moving over the skin. Hold-up stockings solve both issues for me and are perfect for milder temperatures, but as I don't wear shoes I need to cut off the tip and sew the hem to make them into hold-up leggings - and I need to shave because they won't stick on hairy legs. As another drawback most of my skirts don't have a lining and cling to legwear when walking, so I also need to wear an underskirt with them. It's all compromise but hey, exploring all those possibilities is way more fun than I had in years... :)

Made a quick shot of my current outfit while commuting. Text on my shirt says "normal is boring" ;)
If you're always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.
(Maya Angelou)
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

For me, I still stick to shortish skirts (between 17-20" long) but with 60 or 80den tights (generally black or dark blue). I also like to wear ankle socks over the tights (usually white!)

BTW nice photo Barefoot Joe! That skirt length I do like or even shorter!

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I see you polish your nails too. :)
I hope you've been able to express yourself at a younger age than when I started (mid 50s).
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Now that winter is approaching I like to wear knee socks or over the knee socks (thigh highs) held up by a hockey style garter belt with clips like those on men's suspenders (braces) from a company called Sock Dreams in Portland Oregon. I have attached a photo that I have attempted to photograph in a way that well not offend anyone. And still show what I am talking about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barefoot Joe

Post by Barefoot Joe »

Thanks, Ross! :) It's my preferred length too. I have two which are a few inches shorter, but I need to take special care with them when sitting or bending down to not scare children away... ;)

@skirted_in_sf:

> I see you polish your nails too. :)

Yes, I started with it a couple of months before the whole skirt thing began. Actually the nail polish already got me used to second looks and being different, so I had not that much of a problem wearing skirts in public. As for most, the biggest hurdle to take was MOH - for both, nailpolish and skirts.

> I hope you've been able to express yourself at a younger age than when I started (mid 50s).

Unfortunately it was just four years ago when I started it by going barefoot fulltime - I was 47 then, so we seem to share the same boat. Going barefoot triggered something in me as I recognized that I not only can do such things without hell freezing over but also that most people are appreciating it when someone has the courage to be himself. I sometimes had the mopes over not finding it out in my early years but for one those were different times and I doubt skirt wearing would have been that easy in the 80s as it is today. And I also think of it as a learning process where we need some time to find our inner self again after it had been buried under this enormous pile of social rules and regulations after childhood. As I see it, my character / subconsciousness is a combination of multiple unique identities from prior lifes - some masculine, some feminine, some who-know-what. Currently I'm a man and I'm trained to only listen to the masculine identies as guidance and suppress everything else. Shifting my mindset in a way to give those female identities more room, it also changes the way I'm experiencing and expressing myself to the world. It may be just my imagination, but I'm feeling more "in tune" with woman. Four years back and MOH saying "let's go shopping" would have scared me to death - these days I do not only understand it, I'm actually having fun doing it. Much to MOH's amazement... :)
If you're always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.
(Maya Angelou)
Potbelly MacKraken

Post by Potbelly MacKraken »

If really cold, then tights for me, tho I prefer knee socks or really just longer skirts, layered as well with other skirts beneath, with socks and shoes. One way I've been getting by the cold is by getting thicker cotton flannel material to wrap around as a lavalava/wrap skirt, keeping it longer , as long as the ankles when necessary. I've found this to be suitable for the cold of my area of CA; I don't need anything else underneath aside from regular underwear. The thicker cotton flannel material is super soft against the skin and keeps it nice and warm while providing the comfort benefits of a skirt. If you get 2.5 yards, you can wrap it back in front like a kilt apron, to double up on the warmth in the front.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tights, pantyhose, knee socks

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Barefoot Joe wrote:@skirted_in_sf:

> I see you polish your nails too. :)

Yes, I started with it a couple of months before the whole skirt thing began. Actually the nail polish already got me used to second looks and being different, so I had not that much of a problem wearing skirts in public. As for most, the biggest hurdle to take was MOH - for both, nailpolish and skirts.
I had a similar path. I had long been taken with the polished nails in the newspaper Sunday supplement ads and tried to do it myself. Unfortunately, my left hand is extremely uncoordinated so my right hand always looked terrible. So I gave it up.
A few months after I turned 55 I had my ears pierced and the low level of reaction to that got me thinking about other things that were outside the mainstream. I had walked past a nail salon that had a sign in the window reading "For Men and Women"which I filed that away in my brain and walked on. Within several months I was on my usual Saturday afternoon walk and found a $10 bill in the street. That happened to be the price of a manicure and generous tip, so I got my first one later that afternoon. I was very nervous (as I tend to be in new situations), but the staff was very nice and finished my manicure with clear polish. I've gone back every Saturday that I'm home in the seven plus years since. After awhile I started having my nails polished with pale or sheer colors. Since there was little reaction to that in the outside world, I've stepped up to deep shades of many colors. The only reactions I've had have been positive. There are at least a half dozen people who always what to see what color I'm wearing this week.

Closer to the subject of this board: I started buying and wearing skirts around home four or five years ago. Based on the lack of reaction to my polished nails, I started wearing them around my neighborhood several years ago. Then last July I started wearing nothing but skirts pretty much wherever I go on weekends. And I've worn to work three times.

Now on the subject of this thread: If I'm going to be wearings skirts more and it's getting to be winter, I needed some shoes that work better with them. I ordered several pair of shoes and now I'm in the market for socks to fill the space between the shoes and the hemline of my skirts. Since I'm most comfortable in below the knee length skirts, knee socks seem to fit the bill. On the way back to work from a dental exam on Thursday I popped into American Apparel and asked about knee socks. Once I convinced the SA I wasn't looking for male calf length socks, she showed me what they had in stock. After looking at them I told her that I would be back once my new shoes came and I knew how much room I would have in the shoe of socks.

Life is an on going adventure and I really think my progress from earrings to manicures to skirt wearing has taught me to to put myself forward and do things outside my comfort zone.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
jolt_34500

Post by jolt_34500 »

For me, this has been more of an ongoing experiment. Most of the week I have to wear trousers as my job would never permit any form of skirt simply because of the machinery involved. That being said, I wear mostly kilts on the weekends. Pending time of year and what I am wearing, Sometimes I might choose sheer nylons, close to my skin tone to really opaque thermal tights in the dead of winter. I also have a couple of long skirts that I wear on snowy days when one can't really go outside and do anything. I might wear one of those with a pair of black tights. I have worn my black kilt outside with tights and socks over them.