What style of skirt is this (help please)

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What style of skirt is this (help please)

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote:Never handwashed any clothes before. I assume regular laundry detergent is still acceptable?
Some are fairly aggressive and will attack your skin, the resulting cracks and inflammation can be very painful and take weeks to heal. Washing up liquid works quite well and is less likely to damage your hands.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

pelmut wrote:Washing up liquid
Had to google that one. Am I correct to assume this is what we call "dishoap" (dish soap)? Sometimes called dish detergent. But not dish washing detergent less it be used in an dishwashing machine.

Yes I have had sucess with this, particularly DAWN which is good for getting food stuffs and petroleum grease and oils out of my work clothes.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I suggest Woolite for hand laundering. I would not use dish detergent.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote:
pelmut wrote:Washing up liquid
Had to google that one. Am I correct to assume this is what we call "dishoap" (dish soap)? Sometimes called dish detergent. But not dish washing detergent less it be used in an dishwashing machine.

Yes I have had sucess with this, particularly DAWN which is good for getting food stuffs and petroleum grease and oils out of my work clothes.
I think we are talking about the same thing: the liquid detergent, usually supplied in a squeezeable bottle, that is used for washing dishes by hand (Yes! I still wash dishes by hand). It could not be used in a clothes-washing machine because it would foam too much, but it seems to work very well for hand-washing clothing. I am perfume-allergic, but luckily an unperfumed brand of liquid detergent, SURCARE, is available in the U.K.

If you have a problem with grease patches on clothes, the trick is to dissolve the grease and dirt in a thinner oil first, then use liquid detergent to emulsify the oil and grease in water and wash it out. If you don't mind the smell, paraffin [kerosene] or white spirit (turpentine substitute) are very effective solvents, but a thin grade of cooking oil will usually work too. If white spirit is added directly to liquid detergent, the mixture gels and can be used as hand cleaner.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Shoot... round these parts some people still do their dishes in a galvanized tub! And there are actual brick and mortar stores where you get still purchase a wash board (or "wursh-board"). Thinking I may purchase one myself.

I myself don't have a dishwasher so it's all hand washing for us!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:And there are actual brick and mortar stores where you get still purchase a wash board (or "wursh-board"). Thinking I may purchase one myself.
Using a wash-board might be a bit rough on some of the more delicate fabrics. If I need to really resort to washing something by hand, I find I get the best results by just gently "kneading" the garment in the soapy water and then rinsing very, very, well -- followed by a line-drying.
I myself don't have a dishwasher so it's all hand washing for us!
I have one (it's part of the apartment), but as I'm living by myself now I just do whatever dishes I use in the sink. It's faster that way and uses less water.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

If you find laundry detergent too irritating for handwashing, you can use gloves to protect your hands.
らき☆
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Oxy-Sol (spelled right?) is what my daughter the Textile Major suggested for grease stains. I recall that old Octagon bar-soap was also said to be good.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Dawn is a good grease/oil cutter. It's used to clean birds that have been caught in oil spills.
I use it to wash dishes but wear gloves when I do as I find it takes all the skin oils off.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Carl's advice on the mesh bags is good. The other thing to remember is that a label that says "Hand Wash" or even "Dry Clean Only" may well be manufacturer speak for "This article of clothing is on the delicate side, and we don't want to be responsible for careless handling." Thus, in many cases, a little thought will cover a multitude of violations of the label recommendations.

I actually wrote the program to generate garment hang tags for a botique manufacturer - and despite the label "Hand Wash, Cool Water" on the clothing, she puts her own stuff in the washer in mesh bags and dries them on low in the dryer.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"