Winter cometh

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Winter cometh

Post by crfriend »

Orange Apple wrote:So what is the difference between a petticoat and a slip? I am assuming, with full knowledge of what that word really means, that there's more substance to a petticoat.
The primary functions of a slip are friction control (they're usually made of very slippery fabrics) and to provide opacity to otherwise sheer skirts. The primary function of a petticoat is to provide bulk and body beneath a larger skirt; a side-effect of this is that they can add substantial warmth depending on the construction. Note that a slip is sometimes useful under a petticoat if there are friction problems.

I have many summer-weight skirts that would be positively indecent without slips, and slips provide much benefit if one is wearing tights as the fabric of tights tends to pick at the outer skirt. My go-to petticoat is as heavy as any skirt I own and has a double-flounce at the hem that extends up a good foot or so -- this provides body, and also warmth in the winter (I don't wear such rigs in the summer).
The skirts I have worn so far are knee length or a bit longer. Unless I add tights, that's not going to be a reasonable outfit for MN winter (unless I stay inside, which I actually do a lot). So looks like I need to investigate longer skirts.
This must be your call, and your call alone. Long skirts are not for everybody, and take some time to get properly acquainted with. That said, I am entirely happy with my winter wardrobe which includes wonderful stuff that's simply too hot to wear in the summertime.
I like the look of what you're wearing but I admit that the amount of fabric does intimidate me and seems somewhat overly formal for most of what I need. The idea of multiple layers does have a lot of appeal.
Find something that's long -- and cheap -- and practise with it, but be warned that the addition of a petticoat to a long full skirt will dramatically change the behaviour of the entire rig (actually making it easier to deal with in many situations).

I learnt the notion of practise many years ago from a long-ago girlfriend who designed her own wedding-gown and was in the process of executing it. I was fortunate enough to have seen the prototype and bluntly asked her how she could actually walk in it. She mentioned that she executed the prototype not just to ensure that the real article could be done but also that she planned on wearing the prototype to gain practise and confidence in it. The final execution was exquisite, and her poise in handling it was sublime at her wedding. (Yes, this jaded old bloke cried. I also caught the bouquet, albeit entirely by accident. It turns out she should have been a baseball-pitcher.)
Options. Isn't it amazing how many more options there are in women's clothing than men's.
That's part of what makes it fun!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Well tomorrow here in Melbourne Victoria snow is expected down to 300m, this happens maybe once or twice in a winter, daytime temp. between 8-12C, nighttime 3-10C, for me long length ankle biter skirt and a down jacket on top. Tights and a shorter skirt, my head says it is going to far, but I expect there would little reaction.

John
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:You guys have thin blood if you need tights when it gets to 40 degrees F at night. (Or course, the guys in Minnesota probably say that about me.)
Yes, we do take a lot of, um, heat about that.

For me it's not so much a matter of needing tights when it's 40°as being able to wear them (as opposed to now, when it's 90° F overnight and 115° during the day.

And of course it makes a difference how long I'm going to be outside. If it's a minute or two going from the house to the car, or from the car to a store, 40° is no problem. But if I'm going to be outdoors for several hours, as I am for hiking, then I need some extra thermal protection.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

I feel much more educated now on the topic of petticoats. Thank you.

Oddly enough I found what purports to be a guide to buying petticoats at eBay http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-choose-t ... 782/g.html. It's interesting but frankly I don't know how accurate. I get the idea that if you want to write a guide to X, eBay will publish it. But it does help me understand the topic.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Orange Apple wrote:I feel much more educated now on the topic of petticoats. Thank you.
You're more than welcome.
Oddly enough I found what purports to be a guide to buying petticoats at eBay http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-choose-t ... 782/g.html. It's interesting but frankly I don't know how accurate.
I'd not say that it's "accurate" from an entirely functional and practical perspective, which is what I strive for. The page seems more tailored to modern-style designs, mainly from the 1950s forward. Most of my stuff is more late 19th Century when these sorts of things were worn as everyday attire and not as "party gear".

Of note here, and I think I saw the term mentioned on the mentioned web-page, there is a large difference between a petticoat and a crinoline. Crinolines were largely confined to the 1850s and 1860s to provide the bell-shaped look of fashionable skirts of the time. A petticoat provides a more cone-shaped look. Crinolines are engineered structures, frequently supported either by spring steel or by whalebone to stand off semi-rigidly from the legs; petticoats tend to be softer and rely on bulk of fabric to provide shape to the outer skirt.

Personally I have one petticoat that has a tunnel for a hoop (which I have, but seldom wear) and which produces an "interesting look" when worn "in". Usually I wear the petti without the hoop. My other petti depends upon bulk alone to provide a decent line for the outer skirt, and that's my go-to one.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

crfriend wrote: The primary functions of a slip are friction control (they're usually made of very slippery fabrics) and to provide opacity to otherwise sheer skirts.
I have found that a nylon half slip a couple of inches shorter than my skirt adds just the little bit of extra warmth I need to wear my skirts out in upper 50s to low 60s (F) with a 10 - 15 MPH breeze weather that passes for summer much of the time in SF. Yes, I'm a thin-blooded wimp. :lol:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

If y'all lived where I do, you couldn't even stand the thought of talking about winter warmth. It's been 92 to 97 F here every day for a while, with heat index well over 100, 60 to 70% RH. Sheesh...I can't wait for fall.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The title of this thread reminds me of the saying in Game of Thrones - Winter comes.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.