Winter cometh

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Winter cometh

Post by skirted_in_SF »

JeffB1959 wrote:I also bought three corduroy knee length skirts I recently bought at Sears which should work well for colder weather.
I have a navy corduroy skirt on its way to me from Vermont Country Store. If I measured correctly, it should be about knee length. I also have a eggshell (pale) blue sweater on its way from Lands' End that is intended to go with it.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
JeffB1959 wrote:I also bought three corduroy knee length skirts I recently bought at Sears which should work well for colder weather.
I have a navy corduroy skirt on its way to me from Vermont Country Store. If I measured correctly, it should be about knee length. I also have a eggshell (pale) blue sweater on its way from Lands' End that is intended to go with it.
The ones I bought are also about knee length and will work well with sweaters and knee boots.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

Winter is going to spell heavier weight cotton canvas type kilts for me. Opaque tights underneath . I have worn the opaque tights under trousers for work for years. Especially when traveling, as with the tights I have no need for socks or underwear and that right there lightens my load when packing. Walmart brand George are about 4-5 bux a pair and last a lonnnng time.

Since this will be my first winter in kilts/skirts I'm looking forward to a few more colors other than black !!

Now winter in Florida is not what most other call winter, but I guess its all relative
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Regular Guy wrote:..Now winter in Florida is not what most other call winter, but I guess its all relative
Same for Arizona.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

I'm still bare legged and in open sandals - late October, northern England (the style referred to as 'Jesus sandals') and will be well into late November possibly into December. Even with mild frosts and cooler temperatures. When eventually it does become to cold I'll put on thick tights and standard male shoes, but go back to bare legs and sandals as soon as possible when March arrives. Trousers, regardless of time of year are only worn by myself for hill walking, most DIY work and of course my self employment - garden design/maintenance. Cold weather does not put me back in trousers, just tights under a skirt. Windy winter days I put on a straighter skirt but then I'll do that in the summer months. I hate leggins, cannot stand any form of clothing that 'grips' and too me I'm back in trousers. Rain, I still wear a skirt when going out and about. All my skirts are calf length (87cm (34inches)) or longer so I'm quite warm for well into winter. Our home is warm so to the car. Most venues are even hotter once inside and at times have to take the tights off - discreetly!
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Winter has cometh in the southern hemisphere and it is too cold for mini skirts. Back to trousers! I don't like the look of long skirts on me. I have been experimenting with thick tights and a pleated denim mini that feels great and I like the look of it, but it is really out there; looks a bit like the joker in a pack of cards. I answered the door to a neighbour who kindly was unreactive.
I am really confident in my summer attire but not yet so with this new look.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

denimini wrote:Winter has cometh in the southern hemisphere and it is too cold for mini skirts. Back to trousers! I don't like the look of long skirts on me. I have been experimenting with thick tights and a pleated denim mini that feels great and I like the look of it, but it is really out there; looks a bit like the joker in a pack of cards. I answered the door to a neighbour who kindly was unreactive.
I am really confident in my summer attire but not yet so with this new look.
interesting to me because that's exactly where I will be in a couple of months. I have enjoyed wearing skirts when the weather is warm. I need to consider what I am going to do when it isn't.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Orange Apple wrote:I need to consider what I am going to do when it isn't.
There are a wealth of options -- so many so as to perhaps give one pause, and different ways of putting various options together.

There are the obvious options of longer skirts, tights, and heavier underpinnings (e.g. petticoats if you like longer skirts). But, getting into winter also gives one the option of jackets and other items "up top" that border on the inane in the summer.

I find that in the winter, so long as I manage to stay dry, I'm perfectly warm in a long skirt with a heavy petticoat and heavy tights under; on top, it's usually a long-sleeved dress shirt, one of my waistcoats, and probably this coming winter I'll play with dress-jackets some more, not having worn one seriously for a very long time indeed.

I'll also probably look for a replacement for the military-grade great-coat I used to have and which my ex's cats destroyed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

While the South is sweltering in 100 degree F plus temperatures and I am in my knee length skirts. :sunny: I thought while reading this thread that some of us are thin blooded and get cold very easily and need more clothes to wear. :hide: :lol: :hide: I even at 73 still wear my skirts even in zero degree F temperatures with out tights or leggings etc. :cheers: I also wear sandals and or flip flops year around. Only when the weather is wet and freezing do I wear shoes.

I find that leggings and tights feel too constricting and if I've got to wear them then I might as well wear trousers (not going to happen).

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

crfriend wrote: I find that in the winter, so long as I manage to stay dry, I'm perfectly warm in a long skirt with a heavy petticoat and heavy tights under ...
I am completely ignorant on the topic of petticoats. Yes, I know Google is my friend but I bet some folks here would love to share some tips.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Orange Apple wrote:I am completely ignorant on the topic of petticoats. Yes, I know Google is my friend but I bet some folks here would love to share some tips.
You've come to a decent place for answers.

Beginning here is a shot of me in one of my long skirts and which Moonshadow was wondering about a petticoat being in the mix (but hidden). Several posts down is another post by me with links to some of the ones I have in my arsenal, mainly for when it's cold.

Mine are all "old-school" functional designs not the more modern "dancing" style ones that are more for show. I have occasionally worn my red one under a black skirt that's only a couple of inches longer than the petti, and it provides interesting flashes of colour when I'm in motion at any sort of speed.

I find that with a fairly heavy outer skirt, one of the pettis, tights, and a slip between the tights and petti for friction-control I'm good down to about -5 degrees F or so. Much colder than that and I tend to stay indoors.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Orange Apple wrote:
crfriend wrote: I find that in the winter, so long as I manage to stay dry, I'm perfectly warm in a long skirt with a heavy petticoat and heavy tights under ...
I am completely ignorant on the topic of petticoats. Yes, I know Google is my friend but I bet some folks here would love to share some tips.
Same Page ?
Is it Petticoats or perhaps a slip that suffices in that area keeping the legs warm - which are the last place needing warmth - toes fingers ear tips are
the first to go with frost !
And dem tights UK Pantyhose or in the USA actual thermal weight leg warming clothing - much more suitable than long johns for public display (old school) !
My my how clothing has evolved - space age fabrics whisper thin with heating and cooling potential out of the world wearing on Main Street !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

When the weather gets cold I wear heavy tights or leggings, and possibly knee-length boots as well.

I 've never tried slip or petticoats; I just wear heavier kilts.

Of course, this from a guy who lives in Arizona, where typical winter temperatures are 65° F during the day and 40° F overnight.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:Of course, this from a guy who lives in Arizona, where typical winter temperatures are 65° F during the day and 40° F overnight.
You guys have thin blood if you need tights when it gets to 40 degrees F at night. (Or course, the guys in Minnesota probably say that about me.) :lol:
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

crfriend wrote: You guys have thin blood if you need tights when it gets to 40 degrees F at night. (Or course, the guys in Minnesota probably say that about me.) :lol:
You have thin blood. OK, now with that out of the way . . .
crfriend wrote:
Orange Apple wrote:I am completely ignorant on the topic of petticoats. Yes, I know Google is my friend but I bet some folks here would love to share some tips.
You've come to a decent place for answers.

Beginning here is a shot of me in one of my long skirts and which Moonshadow was wondering about a petticoat being in the mix (but hidden). Several posts down is another post by me with links to some of the ones I have in my arsenal, mainly for when it's cold.

Mine are all "old-school" functional designs not the more modern "dancing" style ones that are more for show. I have occasionally worn my red one under a black skirt that's only a couple of inches longer than the petti, and it provides interesting flashes of colour when I'm in motion at any sort of speed.

I find that with a fairly heavy outer skirt, one of the pettis, tights, and a slip between the tights and petti for friction-control I'm good down to about -5 degrees F or so. Much colder than that and I tend to stay indoors.
Very interesting information. Thank you.

So what is the difference between a petticoat and a slip? I am assuming, with full knowledge of what that word really means, that there's more substance to a petticoat.

The skirts I have worn so far are knee length or a bit longer. Unless I add tights, that's not going to be a reasonable outfit for MN winter (unless I stay inside, which I actually do a lot). So looks like I need to investigate longer skirts. I like the look of what you're wearing but I admit that the amount of fabric does intimidate me and seems somewhat overly formal for most of what I need. The idea of multiple layers does have a lot of appeal.

Options. Isn't it amazing how many more options there are in women's clothing than men's.