New Kilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

New Kilt

Post by Reaper_Man »

ordered a utility kilt from from Tartan Heritage (via ebay but they do have a website) it arrived today, it's a black denim utilty kilt and cost a mere £34.99 and i have to say that it looks pretty good, the denim is 'heavier' than i'd expected for the price and the quality looks great, haven't had time to try it on yet but i don't expect any problems, i'll try and get a photo with it on later but here is a picture of the kilt (taken from the ebay listing)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Kilt

Post by Reaper_Man »

and here we are
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Reaper_Man wrote:and here we are
Pretty cool! Let us know how it works out.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Looks cool! I bought one of these in a 34 but it can be hard with sizing. Quality is not bad but the aprons are a little short so you're constantly adjusting the front of the kilt :oops:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

kilty wrote:Looks cool! I bought one of these in a 34 but it can be hard with sizing. Quality is not bad but the aprons are a little short so you're constantly adjusting the front of the kilt :oops:
" but the aprons are a little short"

I don't think it is so much SHORT but the waist width leaves much to be desired !
Isn't that right ?

The front apron of the kilt should be at least 1/3 of the waist i.e. 39 inch waist =s 13 inch apron.
At a quarter (in this case 10 inches) which most of these inexpensive foreign kilts are.
Consider your waist - for smaller waists the width decreases proportionately.
Think of the kilt apron being less than 10 or so inches and you have a kilted loin cloth ! LOL !
Traditional kilts use a minimum of 5 yards and the formal tanks from the old country are 8 yards which creates
the many pleated patterns including box and double box pleats - With more material it is amazing the
back field in motion effect that is presented.

Careful how the waist is secured - the best is with multi-adjustable Velcro ---
for absolute strength the traditional straps (leather or other material) ---
followed by the metal button snaps ---
All these with optional belt with or without belt loops.

For kilts the standard ratio is from the navel to the knee (normally 24" for a 6 foot bloke)
For comfort and ease of motion a tad bit less is OK - shortening to less than 19 inches
is an adventure in advance kilt wearing on the risky exposure front an interesting exercise
I might add - bound to draw interesting conversation and notice !
The only thing is the nagging question: "You are Scottish or must be Scottish?"
EGADS get me a claymore to put this thing to rest ! LOL !

Similar to if the shoe fits - wear it - well so be it with kilts (and skirts) don't let this hold you back
from wearing that kilt or skirt in your wardrobe.
Of course you would not wear a casual kilt to a formal occasion - yet - you just might to upstage the event ?

OH and reaper_man - NICE KILT ! Wear it proudly !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Great looking kilt!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

r.m.anderson wrote:The front apron of the kilt should be at least 1/3 of the waist i.e. 39 inch waist =s 13 inch apron.
just measured it and the apron is exactly 12 inches so not quite a 1/3 but close enough, (40inch waist) length is 24 inches
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

r.m.anderson wrote:
kilty wrote:Looks cool! I bought one of these in a 34 but it can be hard with sizing. Quality is not bad but the aprons are a little short so you're constantly adjusting the front of the kilt :oops:
" but the aprons are a little short"

I don't think it is so much SHORT but the waist width leaves much to be desired !
Isn't that right ?

The front apron of the kilt should be at least 1/3 of the waist i.e. 39 inch waist =s 13 inch apron.
At a quarter (in this case 10 inches) which most of these inexpensive foreign kilts are.
Consider your waist - for smaller waists the width decreases proportionately.
Think of the kilt apron being less than 10 or so inches and you have a kilted loin cloth ! LOL !
Traditional kilts use a minimum of 5 yards and the formal tanks from the old country are 8 yards which creates
the many pleated patterns including box and double box pleats - With more material it is amazing the
back field in motion effect that is presented.

Careful how the waist is secured - the best is with multi-adjustable Velcro ---
for absolute strength the traditional straps (leather or other material) ---
followed by the metal button snaps ---
All these with optional belt with or without belt loops.

For kilts the standard ratio is from the navel to the knee (normally 24" for a 6 foot bloke)
For comfort and ease of motion a tad bit less is OK - shortening to less than 19 inches
is an adventure in advance kilt wearing on the risky exposure front an interesting exercise
I might add - bound to draw interesting conversation and notice !
The only thing is the nagging question: "You are Scottish or must be Scottish?"
EGADS get me a claymore to put this thing to rest ! LOL !

Similar to if the shoe fits - wear it - well so be it with kilts (and skirts) don't let this hold you back
from wearing that kilt or skirt in your wardrobe.
Of course you would not wear a casual kilt to a formal occasion - yet - you just might to upstage the event ?

OH and reaper_man - NICE KILT ! Wear it proudly !

Yh I meant too thin, the aprons are not providing much overlap so the kilt can fly open easily. Aside from that, it's a nice looking kilt, the dark black denim is good. Though I prefer a traditional style kilt :)