Items on eBay

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Items on eBay

Post by weeladdie18 »

FedEx and UPS are active white van delivery services in U.K....
I feel one of the problems with international delivery is import and export charges.

I was considering a Traditional Scottish Kilt in 1916 Military weight of cloth ..Material Exported from Scotland to America for Kilts to
be manufactured and sold in America........the extra cost in tax and delivery is prohibitive

Check out ....Born to Glory.....re enactment Military Uniforms....

If I could get my Kilt Maker in Scotland to order my eight yards of cloth from the Manufacturing Mill in Scotland,...
the world would be a cheaper place to live in.....

Going back to the original skirt....Looks very nice if the price is right...

I bought some cheap 8 yard Kilts in The German Super Store in U.K.......Lidl.....These were on offer at half price for the second year
of a Burns Night Promotion.....Made in Packistan for a Kilt Maker in Glasgow and Retailed by Lidl in U.K....My purchase price
about 4 years ago was £ 25 for a lighter weight 8 yard Kilt.......There was the usual problem......The sizing at the waist was 2 inches out
to the lable size.....once I had sorted the sizing out I bought 5 Kilts for £ 125 .....all silly money

My made to measure Kilt cost £359 in Scotland......The same service would cost £ 450 to £500 in America

Check out X Marks The Scot...a U.S. Vet Helo Pilot Trading in Canada......There is the story of the Art of Kilt Making.....
written by a lady who is a geology Professor in the U.S........The Ghoast Writer is a Glaswegian Lassie who was an apprentice Kilt Maker....
The Lassie emigrated to America and taught the professor how to make herself a Kilt.....

The Helo Pilot has forgotten that she ever existed......However the lassie has her name on the cover of the book published in America....
Please do not try and wind me up regarding these people..............take a bite out of the pie ....and see what you make of it.....L.O.L.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Perhaps the BEST and ONLY book on kilt making is this one:

The Art of Kiltmaking
by Barbara Tewksbury and Elsie Stuehmeyer

Reference LINK:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... hs-att_001

Book available online from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Kiltmaking-B ... 0970375107

On eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Art-of-Kil ... SwzMlceu8e
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I went up to Trago Mills near Plymouth to watch one of the Cornish Pipe bands performing.....I was wearing my old faithful Kilt at the time.
This Kilt has been in my wardrobe for over forty years.....

If the great unwashed wish to suggest that the Male Pipers in the band were wearing skirts .....I would suggest that they go to a gathering
where this Cornish Pipe Band are performing Scottish Traditional Music whilst wearing their Scottish Kilts in The Cornish Hunting Tartan.....

My Scottish Kilt Maker in The Highlands of Scotland....was commissioned to make all the Traditional Scottish Kilts for this male pipe band....
If anyone is bold enough to inspect this pipe band...they will see that all the Male Musicians are wearing their Traditional Scottish Buckles
on their belts....

One lassie was playing in the band.....She was proudly wearing a pleated skirt in the Cornish Hunting Tartan....
If anyone cannot tell the difference between a Kiltie and a Lassie ,.......or a Kilt and a skirt in the same tartan.....
I would suggest that they would find it extremely difficult to find a suitable partner for life.............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

r.m.anderson wrote:Perhaps the BEST and ONLY book on kilt making is this one:

The Art of Kiltmaking
by Barbara Tewksbury and Elsie Stuehmeyer

Reference LINK:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... hs-att_001

Book available online from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Kiltmaking-B ... 0970375107

On eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Art-of-Kil ... SwzMlceu8e
Well done R.M.....this is the only book on Kilt making which my local book shop could find on their new or second hand filing system.
As far as I can remember...Elsie Stuehmeyer was apprenticed to Military Kilt Maker in Glasgow ..when she was 15 years old .....

It does sound as if she did not marry until she was in the U.S. and had started teaching the Americans how to make Traditional Scottish Kilts...
Barb Tewksbury was one of Elsie's Kiltmaking students ......Elsie later approach Barb to help her record the art of kilt making for Posterity.

Barbara prepared the illustrations and her husband took the photographs...a fine spiral bound reference book for Kilt Makers....

When I visited my Kilt Maker for a measuring ....She took my true waist , hip and waist to top of the knee cap measurements.....
She then sent her daughter into the Kilt hire store to find a Kilt for me to try on .....
She looked at me in my hire Kilt and decieded to make my waist measurement an inch smaller at 32 inches...

All clever stuff with the marking out table.....weeladdie
It took my Kilt Maker 20 hours to hand stitch my 8 yard Kilt.......
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

R.M......My problem is that I am only 5 foot 3 inches .....so the standard off the peg Kilt has the hem below my knee cap ...
This makes the Kilt look sloppy......Traditionally the hem of the Kilt is at the top of the kneecap so that when the wearer goes out in the rain,
the hem of the wet pleats do not rub on his calves.....
When the traditional wearers of the Little Kilt went out in the scrub....the hem was short enough not to get tangled in the scrubb.....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I wear a plastic Inverness Cape in Wet weather....This garment reaches nearly down to my ankles and keeps me warm and dry in
my heavy Kilt ...worn with a day wear Argyll Jacket and matching waistcoat.....back in the fifties these jackets were tweed....

The whole rig costs a fortune but lasts for years...
Once a wearer has lost the correct traditional cut of the Kilt ,The effect is to make the whole outfit look sloppy..........weeladdie
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

weeladdie18 wrote:R.M......My problem is that I am only 5 foot 3 inches .....so the standard off the peg Kilt has the hem below my knee cap ...
This makes the Kilt look sloppy......Traditionally the hem of the Kilt is at the top of the kneecap so that when the wearer goes out in the rain,
the hem of the wet pleats do not rub on his calves.....
When the traditional wearers of the Little Kilt went out in the scrub....the hem was short enough not to get tangled in the scrubb.....weeladdie
The norm for a 6 foot bloke is to have a 24 inch hem from the navel to the knee on the floor.
That noted YMMV and then some.
Your kilt measurements are personal to you and you should measure from your navel to a knee on the floor and use that for your hem.
My two formal kilts are set to those prescribed measurements all the rest are at the natural waist or to where ever I like to wear them.
I have many SportKilts with the Velcro waist fastening and these are a universal fitting at or near the natural waist.
The kilts and reverse kilted skirts that have the leather straps are worn just a shade higher.
Outside of the formal wear it is all matter of what I am mixing and matching together with kilts (kilted skirts).
I don't have any kilts or skirts that extend below the knee aka calf ankle biters - my most favorable hem line is at 17 inches about 5 inches
above the knee cap - no restriction on movement yet adequate coverage. I do have some shorter mini-kilt versions that I wear bike pants
or tights (leggings in winter) - gotta keep things sort of street legal - I am not in the Australian outback you know ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The standard length of a U.K. Civilian Hire Kilt is ...waist band to hem 24 inches.....so true waist to hem is 22 inches....

If the wearer is not the correct standard U.K. height ....his Hire Kilt will not fit him correctly....
When the wearer attends his chosen function,....the lassies will check that he is wearing his Kilt correctly...........

After a few drinkies.....it is quite likely that the lassies will check their chosen victim to ensure he is attired as a True Scotsman....L.O.L.

You have been warned of the Perils of Traditional Scottish Kilt wearing..............L.O.L.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If a member of the Skirt Café wishes to attend a function as a Man in a Skirt....he may do well to wear a pair of base ball boots
as part of his survival kit...to ward off the excessive curiousity of the lassies after a few drinkies........L.O.L.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am not sure about this on a male .............. or a female.

Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

denimini wrote:I am not sure about this on a male .............. or a female.

Does this garment have a title ?
Strange construction for a kilt not so much for a skirt ?
Waist appears to be elastic ?
Perhaps missing a front piece (apron) ?

Certainly attention eye centering on the construction !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The construction is novel but not sure that it would be decent for either male or female as the unadorned triangle draws too much attention to another triangle. And underwear or not it just seems too indecent to me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I totally agree with you Dennis :!:
Prostitute Advertising :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

My latest skirt purchase on eBay. I have joined the designer skirt set; a Jacques Tchong micro.
13 zips; what could go wrong? Not something to wear in the presence of practical jokers.

The colour hasn't shown up well, royal blue and black panels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Horror! Vertical stripes paired with horizontal stripes! Have you no class, man? :lol:

No, seriously. A very interesting skirt. I dread to think what it looks like with all the zips undone! No, we don't want a pic! A good buy?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.