In all seriousness how do you sit?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

In all seriousness how do you sit?

Post by moonshadow »

This is a question more posed to the shorter skirt wearers on here. As some of you may know, all of my skirts are of the midi/maxi length. Of course, one advantage of these skirts is I don't have to change my sitting style as there is enough fabric to still go over my knees even when sitting shielding onlookers from any accidental flashes. While I don't really have an interest in wearing the really short skirts, eventually I'd like to get a few of the knee high variety. However I realize these will rise above my knee as I sit.

Frankly, this is a topic that men should really understand. I can comfortably sit with my knees a minimum of 6 inches apart, anything closer and it's putting things in quite a "squeeze". However this isn't my natural sitting style, and I have to work to hold my legs int his position. When I relax my legs, my knees open to about 10-12". I suppose I could cross my legs as women do (and some older men I've noticed), however even so, crossing my legs still isn't my most comfortable position, and squeezes my private parts too.

Of course I always wear underwear so I won't be exposing all, still- even though I do tend to enjoy poking the eye of this conservative area from time to time, I do have some respect for people in public who I can understand would just assume not sit across the room from me and see up my legs.

One possibility I have considered is to try to stick to knee high skirts with a wide flare so there would at least be enough fabric to rest between my legs, and wide flared skirts are more appealing to me than the more "tube" shaped at any rate, but I thought I'd pick the brains of the shorter skirt wearers here for some insight.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: In all seriousness how do you sit?

Post by Kilty »

To be honest, depends on the type of skirt you have on... in a kilt, you have the aprons plus the sporran if you want to open your legs and not frighten the horses, as the weight of the sporran pushes down the lower apron of the kilt so no one sees anything. I tend to sit with knees together as generally I prefer pencil skirts which naturally keep the knees together due to the way the skirt tapers inwards slightly towards the hem. Most times I cross my legs as it's just become natural to do so. Sometimes it's a casual denim skirt, other times for work a more formal one for the office. My work place is used to my skirted attire now, and even if I meet customers it's no big deal as long as I look presentable. I just see it as an alternative to trousers :wink:
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I must be built differently from you, I have no issue sitting with knees together, or even legs crossed. I used, to be able to sit knees crossed, but that is no longer comfortable.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I just tried it again to be sure, and I'm sitting here in my pajama pants, oh yeah, not comfortable. I feel like my parts are going to pop and if I hold the position for longer than 10 seconds I feel it straining my groin muscles. I guess it's just in all my life, I've never sat that way.

I'll admit it, I don't have good posture. I tend to slouch on sofas, lean over tables, and when I'm really comfortable, I will sit back and stretch my legs out in almost the shape of an "A". This is how I sat after a five mile walk in my first Macabi skirt on a park bench giving me feet, and legs a rest. I'm sure I was quite a sight to the passer-by's, but it was very relaxing, and the Macabi was long enough that decency wasn't an issue.

In fact, I seem to recall the lightness of the nylon skirt feeling like a fresh linen, and I could have fallen asleep if I wasn't careful!

But yeah, I do have an "Al Bundy" posture...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

kilty wrote:To be honest, depends on the type of skirt you have on... in a kilt, you have the aprons plus the sporran if you want to open your legs and not frighten the horses, as the weight of the sporran pushes down the lower apron of the kilt so no one sees anything. I tend to sit with knees together as generally I prefer pencil skirts which naturally keep the knees together due to the way the skirt tapers inwards slightly towards the hem. Most times I cross my legs as it's just become natural to do so. Sometimes it's a casual denim skirt, other times for work a more formal one for the office. My work place is used to my skirted attire now, and even if I meet customers it's no big deal as long as I look presentable. I just see it as an alternative to trousers :wink:
As I consider my knee length skirt wardrobe, I am beginning to come around to the idea of a kilt,they tend to be wider flared than most women's knee length skirts, at least from what I can see from the photos. They also seemed to be designed more with the man in mind, in both fashion and function. I've been looking over some cargo/utility kilts online. I'm seeking something more for "working weekends", such as work around the house, automotive work, and generally anything that might get me dirty or greasy. The skirts I have now, while nice, and somewhat durable, are nothing that I'd want to change a fuel pump, dig a hole, or rearrange furniture in.
-Andrea
quantum

Post by quantum »

Pleated skirts would nearly solve the problem.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Just look at it from the distaff viewpoint. A woman wearing a shirt skirt would either cross their legs or keep their knees together. If they are wearing a short skirt there certainly doesn't seem to be any concern about any slight flash of panty so why should we worry so much about it. We wouldn't be revealing anything much. That doesn't mean that we should go around with our legs apart as we were wearing trousers, I just think that we worry TOO much about it. I know MOH has taken great delight in telling me that she can see my underwear on occasion when wearing a short skirt and it's generally because I have forgotten to keep my knees together. I generally just cross my legs and dismiss the comment rather than treat it as a criticism.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Most of the time when I'm sitting I have my legs crossed either at the knees or at the ankles with my legs under or slightly behind me. I am mildly bow-legged, so don't have the problem so much of squashing the hardware, so I count myself lucky in that regard. I guess I'm one of those "old men". In any event, nothing winds up on display to frighten the horses.

The pose doesn't vary much between when I'm wearing trousers or wearing a skirt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

It requires a bit of consciousness on my part when wearing certain skirts. I don't generally wear my shorter skirts to places where I would be sitting without some environmental shield, like a table. I have a typically male pelvis which makes keeping legs closed naturally difficult due to the "nutcracker" effect. I am learning to sit, a bit awkwardly, as some women do, with legs leaning to one side, feet together on the opposite side. The other technique is simply crossing ankles, which keeps thighs closed enough that, when coupled with an adequate hemline, nothing is visible.

Much depends on the seating available, especially with regard to height and forespace (legroom). Barstools and tall bistro chairs don't present a problem; my legs are at a downward angle, so even if I relax and sit naturally, nothing becomes visible. Coffee shop lounge furniture (sofas) can be an issue unless I can extend my legs together. Theater seating is the most hazardous, especially when rows of seats are on a steep stairstep arrangenent, like a cineplex, but much also depends on the seat type and height. Low shallow seats with restricted legroom are the most problematic, as you would expect whenever your knees are forced higher than your waist and you cannot extend your legs. In normal theaters, once the lights go down, no problem.

The best advice is this: wear underwear. I like Jockey, lycra or cotton, (men's) "boy short" style in black. An unintended exposure reveals no discernable scenery. People already look at a man in a skirt as a potential sexual deviant. An unintended exposure of genitalia only confirms that, and injures the rest of our unique community.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

partlyscot wrote:I must be built differently from you, I have no issue sitting with knees together, or even legs crossed. I used, to be able to sit knees crossed, but that is no longer comfortable.
I can't cross at the knees for a prolonged amount of time, so I tend to cross my legs at the ankle like the Duchess of Cambridge :lol: either that or knees together but my feet spread a little, I think it's habit. Even Prince Charles when kilted keeps his knees together (whereas Prince Philip does not :shock: and paparazzi have a few 'upskirt' pics of him floating around the web). Length of the skirt is a factor. Try buying a slightly longer 26 inch pencil as opposed to a 21 inch. As I prefer knee-length skirts (24"), I've found that dark underwear and a black slip helps (if wearing thick black tights it doesn't matter what colour knickers you have on :mrgreen: ) I tend to avoid low seating to prevent anyone from looking up my skirt, but to be honest don't worry too much when getting out of the car. In a kilt, you are expected to be more... erm, free. Everyone finds their own way to sit, and I think you just have to be careful. I'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos out there for anyone seeking further advice... :wink:
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

We wouldn't wear tights down here during the "frost-free" period of mid-April to mid-October. We can still get temperatures in the upper 80s F into October, and it starts getting pretty warm in late April. Once the azealas bloom in April, tights are put away. In this sunny temperate region, tights would be looked on as a fashion faux pas for the balmier months. Fall and winter are different, of course, and I live in tights and leggings during that period.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

How do I sit? well, I'm 6' 3" tall so the 15" skirt in this picture is pretty short. Despite the immodest length, nothing is on display that should not be despite the camera being placed fairly low (about mid thigh height).

That is pretty typical of how I sit when relaxed, irrespective of how I'm dressed. As for the dreaded "male squeeze" I tend to find that the more delicate parts of my anatomy tend to sit on top of me rather than dropping into the limited space that might otherwise make for an eye-watering experience. However, I should probably note that I tend not to wear skirts that short if I expect to be sitting down in public; there is simply too much opportunity for an unintended revelation. (That skirt, when sitting in low seats, tends to leave my underwear visible to me simply due to geometry - not something for general public use).

If sat at a desk or table I tend to place my feet slightly behind my knees and a few inches apart, that naturally keeps any gap between knees to a minimum.

Hope that helps.

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Whatever type skirt I'm wearing, my hands immediately fall to my lap, pushing whatever material of the skirt between my legs. I also sit with legs crossed at the knee and tuck the skirt under my thighs.
I watch women on TV and pay attention to how they sit. Some of those positions I can emulate, some I cannot.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

I'm not inclined towards short skirts, I think mostly because of prudish tendencies. Still, if I were to wear a short skirt out and about I would probably tend to sit with my legs crossed, right knee to the left of my left knee. Then again, I often find myself in such a position wearing shorts or trousers, so there isn't much change there.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Milfmog wrote:If sat at a desk or table I tend to place my feet slightly behind my knees and a few inches apart, that naturally keeps any gap between knees to a minimum.
I read this sentence and then paid attention to how I was sitting at the moment. I'm sitting just like that at my computer desk. I'm not too worried about exposure as my skirt is full and 31" long, I'm facing a wall and I'm the only person here. :wink:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco