"men wearing skirts"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "men wearing skirts"

Post by moonshadow »

Ahhh.... I am not surprised, even in my part of the country, the Methodist are pretty laid back for the most part. Not sure how many (around here) would react to a man in a women's skirt, but only because it hasn't been tried yet. (to my knowledge)
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Why should women have all the clothing fun?"
A feeling I also share. Although I personally avoid floral patters at this stage in my life, it isn't because I believe it's too girly. In fact, I like flowers, and aside from clothing, many men enjoy the hobby of tending flowers and are quite good at it! I have a co-worker who takes a great deal of pride in his roses, and also loves photographing various flowers out and about.

No, at this time I just avoid the floral patterns because it's my opinion that they are more "granny" like. In time, as I get older, I may don a few floral prints. Case in point, my latest skirt, the "boho hippie" skirt, might be considered "feminine", in a hippie sort of way. While many men may consider wearing a kilt, a smaller number might wear a "woman's skirt", even a small minority would wear the skirt I just mentioned. So for me, it's not so much about pattern, as it is about style of the skirt. While I have some skirts that grandma might wear, my personal favorites are the knee length, and "granola" like skirts, such as my Macabi's and the recently added "boho skirt".

When I see a floral skirt, to me it conjures images of an elderly person (man or woman) down in a flower bed pulling weeds and snipping dead stems, living up their golden years in retirement. I'm not quite there yet! 8)

The Macabi's, boho's and knee length's conjure images of someone skipping through a forest, prancing and dancing, with birds carrying colorful ribbons, pixie dust in the air, "chasing butterflies" (as my mother says I tend to do)

Yeah, that's me! :lol:

I guess the short version is, for me, it's just a matter of preference. Whether something is socially considered "girly" doesn't matter. All of my skirts are for women primarily. I don't have any kilts. And nothing against those who wear them, they just aren't my style. At the store in Bristol where I purchased my last skirt, I saw a ankle length white skirt with a somewhat lacy hem that I thought looked nice. I've been considering purchasing it on my next visit.

I don't want to be a woman. That's impossible. Many may think that I do (my wife included), but it's a misconception.

No.... I want to be a FREE man!
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:When you decide to go to a store for your dresses, let me give you two more suggestions. One, go in a skirt. On a recent Sunday I was shopping in an outlet mall I overhearda gentleman tell another member of his party, "Oh, I thought that was a woman," which is remsrkable because I keep what little is left of my hair close-cropped. In addition, for some reason I feel more comfortable shopping in the Women's department when I'm in a skirt or dress. Not that it matters at all to the store clerks. Including the male clerks.
Which brings me to my 2nd suggestion, when you start getting anxious, which you undoubtedly will no matter what, just remind yourself that not only are you not doing anything wrong, you're doing exactly what people are supposed to be doing there; potentially spending money.
Good advise. I too find it easier to shop in the women's section when I'm already wearing "women's" clothes. I feel it projects the image that I take pride in myself and will not be intimidated, as well as the image that "I know what I'm doing, don't bother me".

And no, you're not doing anything wrong, morally or legally.

When I wore my boho skirt I purchased the other day at Bristol to the Johnson City mall, it was pointed out to me that many of the patrons were giggling and staring. I honestly never noticed. But I liked the skirt so much that I swear I felt like royalty that day.

In fact, when I went into the bathroom, I could have sworn I heard someone make a smart alec comment, don't know if he was even talking to me, as I had to go in the stall, but I heard someone say "you better not come around me with that" in a husky, southern drawl, redneck tone. Now I don't know if he was referring to me or not. The fact is, when I entered the restroom, only two men were present, and they had their back turned at the urinal, so I don't know how they could have even seen me at all.

Never the less, it didn't bother me at all, in fact, when I opened the stall door I almost wanted a confrontation, for him to say something else. I didn't want to have a physical fight, no I just wanted the opportunity to smirk, smile right at him, maybe even utter a laugh and otherwise demonstrate that I will not be bullied. But when I opened the door, the restroom was empty... coward!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Moon, you move right on down to NE NC! We would definitely meet halfway, like Oriental or Little Washington, and throw back a few! You'll miss the mountains though, I'm pretty sure. There's not a lot to do, though Edenton is mighty pretty.

As for Methodists, I am one. The trick is serving on a committee that doesn't really do anything...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:Moon, you move right on down to NE NC! We would definitely meet halfway, like Oriental or Little Washington, and throw back a few! You'll miss the mountains though, I'm pretty sure. There's not a lot to do, though Edenton is mighty pretty.

As for Methodists, I am one. The trick is serving on a committee that doesn't really do anything...
Hey you never know, our CEO made a public statement after the Chattanooga acquisition that he wanted our grocery chain to be a national name during his lifetime. A tall order, I'd say unlikely, but you never know! We could be the next Kroger, or Walmart! None the less, it makes me proud to be part of a growing company. Right now it's still relatively small with around 135 stores +/-, and it's "us against the world", with everyone seeming to be working toward growth, and the pride that comes with it. So work life is pretty cool right now. We're still small enough to know everyone working in the stores.

Since I'm already on the corporate side, you never know, I might actually get to be someone someday. Would be cool to eventually introduce skirts for men in corporate America.

However in the mean time, we'll hook up eventually, still got my old lady's family down in Goldsboro, and last time we went we followed 40 to Wilmington just to see the ocean. We stayed for a few hours and headed home.

Would be nice to also have the company of a friend. I'll get with you when we decide on our next trip!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.