Where will we be in say... ten years?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where will we be in say... ten years?

Post by Grok »

The beach/changing robe becomes popularized. :mrgreen:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

In a (more or less self-contained) club.
Last edited by Grok on Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Moonshadow - one skirt wearer per 100 mile radius? In England that would be 1 skirt wearer for tens of millions! Even in Victorian times we would have more than that.
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

The Warm weather of the past two years and now this summer of intense heat has brought out more young men in skirts than ever in the past. First and well publicized were the scholars in the U.K. With the Covid-19 shutdown of a lot of regularly scheduled youth activities, many young men are "Social Distancing" in the public parks in the heat and some are wearing skirts. I do not wear trousers at all. I have been out and about in my kilts or skirts for the last three years exclusively. I have been noticed by some of the teens in town, as some have commented on how the skirt must be much more comfortable than the heavy weight cloth "shorts". After trying a skirt the word got around. Only one in about a dozen teens were in trousers here in Plymouth, Massachusetts during an outdoor concert. It just takes time (and Temperature)!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Personally in ten years time I hope the world hasn't gone too PC mad (politically correct not personal computer!) - and that actions can be seen to be more important than all this virtu-signalling nonsense.

That said - all going well I see myself doing the same as I am now. Freestyling amongst friends - hopefully with a few fellow fashion mixer-uppers too amidst my friends by that stage.

I hope to still be content with my fashion choices and I hope that I (and indeed we all) still have our health. I hope my breasts don't droop a lot and I don't put on too much weight and my feet still enjoy high heels (or I will have to get some surgery to remedy that - or make changes to achieve that).

I hope that women will be slightly more into their skirts/dresses - flowing hemlines and a little leg is nice to see but has been dwindling in recent years. And I hope that more men will delve into freestyling - at least into outerwear (obviously lingerie/high heels/accessories is more extravagantly pushing a boundary)

cheers
NZF
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I think that we can be needlessly serious about MIS. Why not lighten up and have some fun with this?

As an example, the Brotherhood of the Hoop. I sensed that the participants was trying something for the fun of it! :D
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

skirtedbrit wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:23 am Moonshadow - one skirt wearer per 100 mile radius? In England that would be 1 skirt wearer for tens of millions! Even in Victorian times we would have more than that.
Where I am it would be 1 in 1000 at the most ........... and I am the one ........ at least in public view.
I still have not seen another man wearing a skirt, even visiting the big cities.
Therefore, if we continue the trend of the past 5 years, we will be not far from where we are now.
Skirt wearing by males could suddenly propagate if it went viral (nicely) by young people on social media. I don't think that it will be from inspiration by old farts (a bit of self deprecation here). I do think that we do a lot of good just by being different; that is healthy for us as individuals and healthy for others to be exposed to .................. and do as we do here, supporting those who are already interested in skirt wearing.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I would like to think that we will be much further along in 10 years. But history doesn't support that dream. I attended the Million Skirted Men march in NYC in February, 2004. It was organized by the late Tom Manuel, who ran the original version of this board called Tom's Cafe. This event received international news coverage. And what has happened since in the last 16 years? Not a whole lot.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Brad wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:29 pm I would like to think that we will be much further along in 10 years. But history doesn't support that dream. I attended the Million Skirted Men march in NYC in February, 2004. It was organized by the late Tom Manuel, who ran the original version of this board called Tom's Cafe. This event received international news coverage. And what has happened since in the last 16 years? Not a whole lot.
Well, I don't know a about MIS particularly, it may or may not gain much traction, but I have noticed more and and more guys dabbling in other gender role busting behavior, such as nail polish, growing out their hair in more feminine styles, wearing tighter fitting clothes, even hot pants!

I'm noticing more and more MALES I'm seeing I'm starting to mis-gender by accident.

I've also frankly noticed a more laid back atmosphere and vibe with regards to my own skirt wearing out and about. I don't think I've been flat out laughed at in well over a year or so now...

Of course now that I've said something.... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

denimini wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:23 pm
Where I am it would be 1 in 1000 at the most ........... and I am the one ........ at least in public view.
I still have not seen another man wearing a skirt, even visiting the big cities.
I live in a village of under 1000. I know two other men in the area who wear skirts. Three other men who wear skirts have moved away. Of us six, two had been in the Pacific islands and just wore sarongs in private; I only knew it because they told me. I expect there are many other guys like that.

I agree that men wearing skirts in big cities is rare, but I've seen a few and I'm rarely in a big city. On a college campus it is not so rare.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

My tenth anniversary as a café patron will come around very shortly.
I don't have a a real clue where we will be in the next ten years. The whole world is changing beyond all belief and chance of foresight.
However, things have got easier too for men in skirts.
Looking back on these past years there are many things that I could never have foreseen.
The simple fact that I wear a skirt or dress on a daily basis without too much thought is probably the main point.
The conversations and discussions that my choices have generated with complete strangers. Some of them are now agreeable and regular acquaintances.
Many folks that have never seen me in trousers.
Most of all that I can actively and wholeheartedly enjoy my very own style and fashion choices.
I can only hope that won't change before I depart this benighted planet.
Happy next decade all!
Steve.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Dare I say that wearing trousers, 'pants', have become uncomfortable, especially now that I've been exclusively wearing a skirt for the last five months!
No one bats an eyelid and I have particularity enjoyed positive conformation from ladies I meet.
Where will we be in ten years? I'd say mainstream.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:43 am
Freestyling amongst friends - hopefully with a few fellow fashion mixer-uppers too amidst my friends by that stage.

And I hope that more men will delve into freestyling - at least into outerwear (obviously lingerie/high heels/accessories is more extravagantly pushing a boundary)

cheers
NZF
I can imagine the blossoming of a freestyler subculture. At least on a small scale.

As for MIS and the mainstream, I suspect that change will seem very slow to members.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Especially with global warming, men wearing skirts and dresses (probably with more masculine sounding names) will be mainstream, at least in the Summer time. Along with that will come more acceptance of us fashion pioneers, though for umpteenth time, dresses are my default choice in clothes and I get little to no flashback and more than my fair share of compliments.

Even the fact that the compliments have become less frequent over the last couple of years tells me that people are more accustomed to seeing at least this man in a dress now than they were even a few years ago.

So whoever it was who said that he didn't think the Million Man March in Skirts didn't accomplish anything, take heart, it seems to have!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

What is a good synonym for man skirts other than skirt or kilt ?