Finally went skirted to a baseball game

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Finally went skirted to a baseball game

Post by FranTastic444 »

Mark as in Mark wrote:
STEVIE wrote: I doubt that in the UK there are any really big sporting occasions where a guy in a skirt would happily and safely go.
Steve, I went to Leman's 24 race last year wearing heels and a skirt. Low 3" and 2" sandals most of the time. It was really hot for most of the French there, I think some guys and gals were wishing they had a skirt on as well. Being from Texas it was just cool, but not hot. 30°C is not hot!
I didn't get to go last week back to Lemans but am planning to get to the WEC race at Silverstone on the 19th of August. I plan on wearing a skirt and heels, maybe my new pair of 4" sandals if the weather is nice. Should I be worried?
Mark, are you familiar with Le Mans Classic? I know a number of people who attend (runs every second year). Could be a good opportunity to dress in something from a bygone era http://www.lemansclassic.com/language/e ... ress-code/. Goodwood Revival in the UK might be another option for you - https://www.goodwood.com/flagship-event ... d-revival/

I'm trying to think what sort of events in the UK I would wear a skirt to. A kilt at Twickenham for a rugby game would be a common site (especially if Scotland were playing :-) ). I wouldn't contemplate football. I think motorsport would be ok though. I think you'd be pretty safe at certain music events (particularly in London) - Florence + The Machine, Belle & Sebastian (i.e. the sort of acts that would draw the more accepting / liberal crowd). Placebo and James both had musicians that wore dresses on stage and Robbie Williams has been known to wear what is allegedly a kilt - so you should be on safe ground there...
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Have been skirted numerous times to baseball games since the last post, in several ballparks. Usually wearing one of two Red Sox skirts I have.
The Red Sox are my adopted team and I have the hat and a tee with the obligatory big red 'B' on them. Not sure if I have the guts to ask the wife for a matching skirt though :-)

skirtingtheissue - I'll look out for you next time I'm over at Fenway :salut:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

FranTastic444 wrote: The Red Sox are my adopted team and I have the hat and a tee with the obligatory big red 'B' on them. Not sure if I have the guts to ask the wife for a matching skirt though...
Wait a minute. Do you never buy your own clothes?

Or do you mean permission to wear a matching skirt?

I can tell you I've worn utility kilts to probably a hundred NHL hockey games and never had a problem.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

FranTastic444 wrote:...I'm trying to think what sort of events in the UK I would wear a skirt to.
Absolutely anything (except a window-cleaners' convention).
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

How about a parachute drop?

4000 years ago when I was new to the Forum, mirabile dictu, I was invited to go in a hot-air balloon and Bravery got the better of me & I wore my Cameron Wedding Kilt outfit..
It was a very fine calm October in Co. Waterford and as balloons travel at the same speed as the wind it wasn't draughty at all. My come-uppance came on landing, as they invariably choose a large field for this. Our one chosen was entirely hard sharp stubble and very close proximity immediately before ground contact tells you that you are in fact doing about 10-12 mph and the basket tipped, spilling us out onto the stubble. My tough kilt was not damaged, but I got two seriously scuffed legs!

Great fun, though, but next time it'll be long trews.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Caultron wrote: Wait a minute. Do you never buy your own clothes?
Or do you mean permission to wear a matching skirt?
Non-essential clothing is normally the sort of thing my wife buys me through the year (especially Christmas / birthday). As I've posted elsewhere on here, I really only buy my own clothes when I have to - when my shirt has holes in the elbows or when the collar suddenly shrinks (nothing to do with me gaining weight, you understand :-) ).

I'm at a very delicate stage of skirting right now. My wardrobe consists of 3 skirts (one of which my wife has said she never wants to see again) and three pairs of leggings. I want more, but right now I don't know whether the timing is right to push the boundaries with any more purchases. Now, if my wife decided to get me something like a Red Sox skirt without consulting with me, that would be real progress...
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

pelmut wrote: Absolutely anything (except a window-cleaners' convention).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmAeijj5cM
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

FT, I drop hints about anything i would like by leaving a screen open an the site where the object of desire is. In your case the Red Sox site showing the skirt. It doesn't always work [0] but one can only try.

[0] In fact it very rarely works unless it is something that MOH actually wants to buy me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Mmmm.... Nice, but not sure they will have my size :-)

Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Of the three I like the dress best. Only the Red Sox site will tell you what sizes are available. But yes, I agree that leaving those images openly on view will do nothing to advance your request for a skirt of theirs!!!! Nice though. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

FranTastic444 wrote:...I'm at a very delicate stage of skirting right now. My wardrobe consists of 3 skirts (one of which my wife has said she never wants to see again) and three pairs of leggings. I want more, but right now I don't know whether the timing is right to push the boundaries with any more purchases. Now, if my wife decided to get me something like a Red Sox skirt without consulting with me, that would be real progress...
Cheer up. Two OK's out of three doesn't sound so bad.

And yes, I agree that your wife buying you a Red Sox skirt would be real progress. Probably not likely but nevertheless fun to hope for.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Fran44 I know I am a little late with this but I found a skirt that you could wear to a sox game without any problem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I was in Boston in May and, while I had a walk around Fenway Park, there were no games to watch. I did pick up a Red Sox tee-shirt and the obligatory baseball. Didn't see any skirts, though.

To all my British compatriots, Boston is an amazing city and well worth a visit. But make sure you have plenty of cash because accommodation there is wickedly expensive, especially around the Back Bay area.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote:I was in Boston in May and, while I had a walk around Fenway Park, there were no games to watch.
Blast. You should have said something as I would likely have gone into town to meet you!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Oldsalt - what could possibly go wrong there :-) For our British readers, turning up at a Red Sox game wearing anything Yankees related is like going to a Man Utd game in a Liverpool shirt.

Stu - Boston is expensive full stop, but that said it is a fabulous place to visit. I normally tell my Brit friends and family that you can get most of the main local attractions done with 2 nights hotel stay because of Boston being so small and compact.

Boston has a convention center and when a big event such as those held by Microsoft is in town, everything gets booked out accommodation wise for miles around. As there are about 50 universities / colleges within Boston, accommodation gets crazy around graduation time, which for most places is around the 2nd and 3rd weeks of May - maybe that coincides with when Stu was in town?

AirBnB and the like is very popular in Boston as a result of the hotel prices, but even then, prices are steeper than people are used to paying in many other cities. Mayor Walsh is introducing new laws that may cut down on the availability of such properties. Another alternative is to stay out of the city - somewhere along the Red or Green Line for example.

I'm a recent newcomer to this site, and skirting spotting in Boston is something that is still in its infancy for me. Still, I've already spotted numerous kilts (such as one of the narrators on a DUCK tour bus) and a skirted cyclist and hotel / bar worker. In spring and autumn the wearing of pantyhose with shorts is pretty common.

As an aside, visitors to Boston may well see an old boy, Donald Heller (and his Jack Russel dog when weather permits), busking with his hurdy gurdy. I got chatting to him one day on one of his breaks and he was surprised when I told him that one of my colleagues in the UK played the same instrument. It was my turn to be surprised when, upon telling Donald my colleagues name, he pronounced that he knew him well! Turns out that they had been corresponding over many years via a hurdy gurdy web forum :mrgreen: