Summer...to shave or not to shave?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ShayneM.88

Summer...to shave or not to shave?

Post by ShayneM.88 »

With summer now approaching and the hope of warmer weather, how do you guys feel about shaving your legs when wearing your skirts? I am hoping to start wearing skirts this summer and have been pondering the question of whether or not to shave my legs. I think it would look much more clean and professional to have them shaved clean rather than hairy, but don't want to look feminine. Any thoughts?
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Summer...to shave or not to shave?

Post by Gordon »

I've been shaving mine for about 5 years now all year round. Never have had anyone say a thing about it.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Lots of athletes and ordinary men shave their legs. Some athletes, such as cyclists, do it because it supposedly makes massages better. Some, like swimmers, do it to be streamlined. And some just do it for looks.

As wearing shorts becomes more practical, nonchalantly check out men's legs from time to time. You'll probably find more smooth ones than you ever expected.

My fashion sense would be that if you want to keep hairy legs, stick with kilts or highly opaque hose. If you're going to wear a midi- or longer skirt from across the aisle, then shave. But then, everyone's fashion sense is different. Do what makes you comfortable.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

I'll keep my hairy legs and find another way around the issue if I must. I have far to low a tolerance for stubble - a state that my fingers say persists from immediately or very soon after shaving to upwards of a month - to consider shaving a viable option. Probably an advantage for me that I live in the land of the zenith sun, in that people probably expect to see legs of all descriptions more than in areas nearer the poles.

I would say shave if you like the look and feel, but if not, then save the effort and go hirsute.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

From a personal perspective, I started shaving my legs a few years before I started wearing skirts. This was mainly down to the fact that I cannot grow a proper pelt in those parts and it always looked like the moths had been after me. 'Twasn't pretty to say the least. So, off it came. I've been happier since.

It does grow back, weedy and in patches, so as Tor says, it can be annoying -- at least to the touch. I doubt that anybody notices, however, at much of a distance.

So, like so many other things, the choice is down to the individual. Embrace the choice and make it yours; if it falls flat, one can always change his mind and go the other way!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Tor wrote:I'll keep my hairy legs and find another way around the issue if I must. I have far to low a tolerance for stubble - a state that my fingers say persists from immediately or very soon after shaving to upwards of a month - to consider shaving a viable option. Probably an advantage for me that I live in the land of the zenith sun, in that people probably expect to see legs of all descriptions more than in areas nearer the poles.

I would say shave if you like the look and feel, but if not, then save the effort and go hirsute.
I agree Tor, stubble isn't nice.

I should have been more specific, in that I actually use an epilator. Rarely shave with a blade. I epilate about every 1-2 weeks. The epilator gets all the real longs ones, but leaves the short stuff.With the epilator the hairs grow back slowly and come with a fine smaller end, not a coarse cut end. The overall effect is one that I'm happy with. I've also found that the hairs just don't grow back as course. Seems like constant epilation does something to the hair growth. On the http://www.crossdressers.com forums there has been talk about others noticing the same thing. But it doesn't seem to be universal. I would suggest that anyone interested in having hair free legs give it a try. The first time does hurt. But there after it is very bearable. I don't mind doing it at all. Often do it while watching TV.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I shave. I like the feel of my legs smooth, and like Carl, had patchy hair on my legs, and none below the sock line.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Rowers don't shave legs. I did it just once in my 40s and met with such a fusillade of objection from MOH that I dared not do it again....and the stubble appeared straight away and was horrid for weeks.

In Winter I hide my Neanderthal forest under opaques.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I've shaved off and on for 13 years. Left the wookie leg hair look on for about a year, then decided to go back to shaving regularly, even while I was exclusively wearing tartan kilts. It did let me start wearing trouser socks during the summer, which was an improvement over being stuck in wool kilt socks. When it was still furry, it was pretty patchy, so it looks better and feels more comfortable with it removed. If I could, I'd probably get rid of all my body hair, except for facial hair, head hair, and my lower arms. My back, chest, stomach, etc, are also patchy, and, in the summer, wherever I have body hair, I sweat profusely. Nothing like climbing out of a car on a summer day and having the back of your shirt completely soaked.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

This is an a subject that comes up fairly frequently. In most places, it is a non event. Many men shave lots of their body these days, and most people don't give fig. The only issue I have is I can't go near the GF with anything more than 2 day old stubble.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I hate hairy legs so I shave all the year round
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I only shave the face fungus and 'tache, never the legs.

That's one MOH likes about me is the hairy legs and body so will be keeping it that way even with my short skirts. I do take a good tan in the summer so I don't think it looks bad at all.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I like things natural. I don't shave. I sometimes sing "I'm hairy high and low" from the musical, Hair, to my wife. I'll add "even on my big toe." I might still have a razor somewhere, but I'm not sure.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I used to shave or epilate my fore arms (and other parts) but found more recently that my skin was getting thinner and would bleed every time I brushed against a hard object (door handle, protruding corners of walls furniture etc), and wonder if keeping the hair would act as a protection. I like to go without sleeves and hair, but am getting really fed up with the wounds, the more so as they leave whitish patches on my otherwise tanned skin.

Martin
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I've shaved for years. It gives my legs a smoother more defined look. I've received some comments from people I know, either approving or puzzled, but no reaction from people in public.