Summer...to shave or not to shave?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Summer...to shave or not to shave?

Post by moonshadow »

Caultron wrote:The feel is a shock at first, but I'm sure you'll get used to it and eventually find it enjoyable.
I'm already there!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

To shave or not to shave.

I stopped 'shaving' my legs many years ago. I now use a cream depilatory.
I've used several products, Nair, Nair for Men and I've found that
VEET works the best. I've tried several variety's of VEET and found
a blue gel that works great. Sadly, it's not on the market anymore.
I'm now using a VEET cream, in a pump bottle. It works almost as
good as the gel. Once you get by the aroma and the time it takes
for the product to work, the Aloevera helps make the skin very smooth
and almost soft to the touch. I rinse off in the shower and the hair goes
down the drain. It slows down the hair growth. Now, since I've been
using this product for a few years, I only have to use it 2-3 times a year.
That's what I call 'low maintenance' :D

You can find it in any grocery/big box store

Your mileage may vary, but it's worth a try ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Uncle Al wrote: I'm now using a VEET cream, in a pump bottle. It works almost as
good as the gel.

Your mileage may vary, but it's worth a try ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I've not had much success with depilatory creams in the past, either poor result, or pain, or both! But I'll look for that one and give a shot.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Depilatory creams are fairly noxious chemicals. The have to be, in order to dissolve the hair.

As a result, you may have to experiment a bit with product and time of exposure to find something that works without irritating.

If you have chronically dry or flakey skin, there may no workable solution.

And for me, at least, thorough rinsing afterwards is critical. Anything I leave behind, even 0.1% of original strength, will eventually irritate. I get the least irritation by first spray-rinsing in the shower and then skinny-dipping in a chlorinated swimming pool.

Or, you can just use an electric shaver and tolerate a bit of stubble.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

Well, curiosity killed the cat, and I decided to shave my body again for the first time in over ten years. The driver to this thought was remembering how much I loved it before, and when my rayon maxi skirt arrived, I couldn't wait to see what it felt like with smooth legs.

At first my wife was none-too-pleased, but she was previously aware that I shaved my body for many years. She was soon won-over by the fact that our already great sex life just shot through the roof. The feeling of smooth skin-on-skin is incredible & I really do adore the feel of my smooth legs. I told her a couple of weeks ago that I planned to continue shaving from now on, and she she quite Ok with that.

A couple of weeks into the new shaving thing, we had to take an emergency trip out of town down to the coast, because my wife's father was just diagnosed with a serious illness. Out of courtesy & respect, I packed 3 sets of trousers, one pair of shorts & my house skirt for the long drive. The first night there she noticed how dreadfully uncomfortable I was in my slightly too small khaki trousers I brought & she demanded I wear my shorts for the rest of the trip. I had no real problem with it, but was wary of her parents reaction. We stayed with her aunt/Uncle, and after three days in shorts & shaved legs, not one person say one word. I did catch her aunt eyeing to get a closer look, but she said nothing. Her aunt/Uncle are both recently retired university professors, and seemed to be generally accepting.

I'm definitely 1,000% happy to have shaved legs again. The reason I quit before, was a relationship I had started to go sour, and after a very long time w/o intimacy with her, I stopped caring, too. Thank the Lord Above my wife & I have a wonderful marriage.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jetblasted wrote: I'm definitely 1,000% happy to have shaved legs again. The reason I quit before, was a relationship I had started to go sour, and after a very long time w/o intimacy with her, I stopped caring, too. Thank the Lord Above my wife & I have a wonderful marriage.
Well, my wife and I may not have very much in common, and our personalities are like oil and vinegar. In fact, now that I think about it, we are about as incompatible as you can get. But as long as she doesn't hold me back from what I want to do, I shall endeavour to return the kindness. Still, if this marriage should end for whatever reason, I probably won't do it again.

But back onto leg shaving.... it's been a few days now, and I'm still loving it! Starting to get a little prickly now though so time to freshen it up.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

moonshadow wrote:
But back onto leg shaving.... it's been a few days now, and I'm still loving it! Starting to get a little prickly now though so time to freshen it up.
My GF is not bothered one way or the other, with the exception that I have very little chance of getting near her if I am "prickly."
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

I remember that "just shaved" feeling from about 8 years ago. The sensory nerves were working overtime , albeit in a good way.

I first started shaving when i began wearing PH or tights. At first, my wife was aghast that I had shaved my legs. But when she felt the smoothness, well....i am still shaving LOL.

Even now especially when im wearing mostly tights in the winter, i may go several weeks without shaving and let the hair grow to about a half inch But boy when i do, WOW what a great feeling to be smooth again.

As far as methods. I just began using dollar shave club blades and shaving butter. That is a good combo and more reasonable than gillette fusion blades and gel . I did get waxed about six months ago and it was smooth for about 10 days. But the time to make an appointment go to the salon etc plus the silly cost makes it prohibitive for me personally.

Shaving is not for everyone, but i dont see myself not shaving for the forseeable future.
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
jeffreyrichards2015

Post by jeffreyrichards2015 »

Shaving is the only way to go for me. I do remember the first time I did it, the feeling was fabulous. It was quite late in the year and so my legs were not on show much, but I went to visit family abroad in a much hotter climate and I was in shorts all the time (pre-skirting). I remember being incredibly self-concious of my legs as the hairs were all very short and all the same length, and it was pretty obvious I had shaved them. I don't remember getting comments, but I was a bit sheepish.

Another time I needed to perform on stage and was required to have perfectly smooth legs as I would be wearing full female get up and clothes, so I made the decision to get waxed all over. I went to a boutique and got it done professionally. It was quite fun explaining that I needed it as I was playing a female role on stage. The result was marvellous and I have kept my body hair down ever since, but not with waxing. After a couple of weeks I started getting bad problems with ingrown hairs, regardless of how much I exfoliated. It left bumps and lumps and was a pain to remove them for weeks after - so no more waxing.

I tried my wife's epilator and while it was good, it was bloody painful, especially on my chest. But once again I got ingrown hairs on my legs, particularly the backs of my calfs and thighs, the fronts, not so bad. But I was really fed up with the long term results.

So shaving every couple of days in the shower is the best way for me, quick, painless and leaves a great finish.

I would love to go and get electrolysis or laser hair removal one day... I HATE my body hair.
Life's too short to worry, just get on with it.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Regular Guy wrote: I just began using dollar shave club blades and shaving butter.
Shaving butter? Do you mean a cream with Shae butter in it? I like Prorasso creams, but have mostly been using the Nivea men's shaving cream in a tube as cost matter. That one used to be a German product but Nivea bought them out. Creams are definitely better than foaming gels, which tend to dehydrate the skin and don't cushion anywhere near as well. For my face, (and head) I tend to use a cheaper brand name triple, whichever is on sale, for the body, I have handles for Women's Schick quatro or Gillette venus, and buy whichever is on sale. I find the women's brands have the ability to follow body curves well, without the extra expense of the dedicated men's body shavers, but they don't deal well with the tougher hair in the beard.

I've tried epilators, but it's a similar problem to the Veet/Nair situation. I can deal with the pain, but it takes far too long get a result, and often not good enough. I will try waxing or sugaring, but it's a cost issue. There is a local place that offers introductory deals, and they also offer highly discounted sessions for training purposes. I intend to go down there and see what that is all about.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I also hate body hair and I have none except my mustache which my wife forbids me to shave. I shave my head and face daily also my hands and arms. I use an epilator on my legs and buttocks weekly. I'm curently getting electrolysis on my torso and ear hair. It's wonderful not having hair on my chest and am now working my way down past the belly button. I wish I could have done this ages ago but couldn't afford it.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, this is now a thing.... I have purchased a proper leg shaving razor and cream. Along with some lotion. All are hidden from view. Not because they (my wife and daughter) don't know I've been shaving my legs (they do), but rather, to keep them out of it! It's bad enough they steal all of my face shaving cream.

Life is good today.
-Andrea
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

Well, my razors from the Dollar Shave Club arrived & wow, what a smooth shave !!

I've always used the Mach 3 razor in the past, for well over 10 years, and I got the "Executive", which is a seems silly six blades, but it does a fantastic job on my legs. I was slightly apprehensive on using it on my face, because it has such a fat head, and I did have difficulty shaving the crease of my lips, but my face was super smooth today. Slight stubble now, 12 hours after shaving, but my legs are still incredibly smooth.

Worth a try. Only nine bucks for four shaving heads, a free handle & sent to my door.
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

There is a four blade version, four heads, for four bucks. Not Bad.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I am of the opinion, that multiple blades are little more than a marketing con. I have got, and used very successfully, an old fashioned safety razor. It gives a much better shave than anything else I've used. It takes a reasonable amount of skill, which is something most of us can learn, and time, which is often something I'm short of these days. Hence, I use multi blade razors to give a decent shave fairly quickly, without leaving too much blood on the towel. I buy triple blade razors as a minimum, because the twin blades are seriously marketed to the absolute cheapest end of the market, and are very poorly made. I believe they can make decent, cheap, twin blade razors, but don't, because that would take away their margins on more expensive stuff. Most of my blades end up costing less than a dollar each. There are arguments for using higher quality blades because they last longer, but I've never found that to be true enough to make it worthwhile. Everyone has a different skin/beard/hair combination, so my comments should be taken as guidelines, not rules.

Thursdays, (today) I have a late start to the day, so get some extra time to do a more thorough and careful shave, just sitting here enjoying the nice smooth comfortableness of the result.