Worried that people might take pics of me

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Worried that people might take pics of me

Post by hairy »

I've ordered a kilt, hopefully correct size this time. I really plan on going out and about in it this summer and hopefully my short skirts too. The thing is I like to wear skirts but hate publicity or attention, I wear skirts for me and NOT as a public attraction. I'm a bit concerned that someone and everyone might go using smart phones and sticking pics of me on google etc, almost to the point so going public might become a no no. I'm thinking twice about going out in my kilt now.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Worried that people might take pics of me

Post by Couya »

I have been wearing kilts since long before they invented internet, and have certainly had dozens of sneaky photos taken behind my back, but so what?

Since discovering internet, I have often looked at kilt and skirt pics wondering if I'd ever find one of myself, but no, I am just not newsworthy, it appears. I think that people with photophones are more interested in taken pics of themselves and spreading them round the world than in taking photos of other people.

Even if someone does shoot you in your kilt, the chances of an acquaintance coming across it on the net are incalculably low.

Who cares anyway?

Martin
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have been photographed a number of times. When I see someone setting up to take a picture I usually turn and give them a smile, no sense in them having an unhappy photo :D

I can do this because as Martin (Couya) says "Who cares"? I am not embarrassed about choosing a skirt and have no desire to hide it, so if others want to help me spread the word that men can wear skirts, that's fine by me.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I can only think of three occasions where my picture was taken - two unofficial and one official.

On the first of those, I had on a denim miniskirt (14" long) and the pic was taken from across the road. I looked to see if I could find it but didn't. However, I did find a report on a cycling website in connection with it - see link below. Its good that the comments were favourable. 8)

http://citycyclingedinburgh.info/bbpres ... hp?id=1145 8) :D

On the second occasion, I had on my khaki cargo skirt (approx 19") long and travelling home on the train. I am sure one of the 20-odd year old kids took a pic with his mobile phone (certainly the light flashed on the phone and his girlfriend sitting next to him gave a chuckling noise and stared at the phone screen). Try as I might, I have never managed to find a reference far less a pic on the Internet.

The third occasion was at the end of a charity walk and the denim miniskirt again - it is still there on the internet if you know where to look -> http://www.womanandhome.com/galleries/d ... nwalk-2011 8)
On that same walk there was another fellow wearing a pink miniskirt :shock: 8) (pic 43) if you wish to press "previous" a few times.

For me it is also a "who cares?" attitude.

Ross
Last edited by skirtingtoday on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Tell me, Ross; did MIAS and AMIAS ever get to meet?

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

hairy wrote:I've ordered a kilt, hopefully correct size this time. I really plan on going out and about in it this summer and hopefully my short skirts too. The thing is I like to wear skirts but hate publicity or attention, I wear skirts for me and NOT as a public attraction. I'm a bit concerned that someone and everyone might go using smart phones and sticking pics of me on google etc, almost to the point so going public might become a no no. I'm thinking twice about going out in my kilt now.
I've been photographed several times that I know of. People ask if it's OK to take a photo, and I ask what they're going to do with it, and they say, "Oh, it's just for myself," and I wonder what that really means, and then I pose for them. Nothing bad has ever come of it.

I mean, I have numerous photos of myself wearing utility kilts posted in my Facebook account, which uses my real name. So everybody I know knows. And unless you're travelling incognito, appearing kilted in public pretty much concedes that it's OK for anyone and everyone to see you and know. So just maintain your decorum and everything will be OK.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Couya wrote:Tell me, Ross; did MIAS and AMIAS ever get to meet?

Martin
Sadly it never happened :( - He is, of course, a member of this forum with the name "veletron". 8)

Not sure if he keeps in touch with the site but he certainly hasn't posted for a while.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

hairy wrote:The thing is I like to wear skirts but hate publicity or attention, I wear skirts for me and NOT as a public attraction. I'm a bit concerned that someone and everyone might go using smart phones and sticking pics of me on google etc,
Well I think that goes for most of us on here, most of the time. Is there a particular reason behind that feeling for you? I believe most of us have had to get over that fear of "what will others think?"Image I have to admit that I suffer from this myself, the only answer is to keep pushing yourself.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Yes there is a reason behind it. When I was 16 something very bad happened to me, and a pic of me laying in a hospital bed made front page headlines, I hated that. Then recently I've been in papers again against my wishes, it was about someone who has been harassing me and wife for 30 years and going about putting up nasty posters in public places with made up stories about us, so he has just been found guilty of 2 offences but that brought papers back to my door just last week. On top of that I live in a road where people love a bit of gossip, mostly old people. So there's loads of reasons why at this moment I could do without the publicity. I will be wanting to be out this summer in my mini skirts away from home but not wanting pics anywhere of me, perhaps I'll just be careful where I'm seen.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Maybe time to move to a different town. Or neighborhood for that matter. I don't let the chance of people taking photos stop me from going about my life. I don't shop at Wal*Mart, so it's unlikely some Walmartian will take a photo of me and post it on the PoWM site.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

i've had loads of pictures taken of me wearing skirts and dresses, some have been taken sneakily (or at least they tried to do it sneakily) and some where people have asked if they can take a pic, i have never found any of them on the internet no matter how hard i try to find some of them
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

John I'm not the type to move, I'll stay and fight it out. Don't think I'll mind if anyone asks for a pic, but won't like the sneaky ones.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I suspect you imagine that a guy in a kilt is a more interesting sight than it actually is. Relax and go for it.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Dillon I don't have any kilts as yet but now got one on order. I've only got short skirts at moment, so perhaps I should wait until l I get the kilt and start by going out in that rather than the skirts for now.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

hairy wrote:Dillon I don't have any kilts as yet but now got one on order. I've only got short skirts at moment, so perhaps I should wait until l I get the kilt and start by going out in that rather than the skirts for now.
If my experience is anything to go by, a knee-length (or longer) plain denim skirt attracts a lot less attention than a kilt.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.