should I let my daughter Know I wear skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: should I let my daughter Know I wear skirts

Post by JohnH »

Hairy,

I have to confess when I saw how your daughter prevents you from wearing certain garments of your choice I was livid about hearing about how a child could dominate a parent. I say go ahead and wear what you want, and if your daughter flies off the handle stand up to her and tell her she has no authority to constrain you. It's one thing to bend to your SOH but to be constrained by your son or daughter is another thing.

Here's an irreverent suggestion - next Halloween dress en femme, complete with makeup, a dress, heels, and bird seed in stockings behind the bra you would wear. I love Halloween since you can be a lot more free to wear anything as long as you are modest. The cost of course is you would have to shave off your facial hair. That way you would give your daughter more of a reason to fly off the handle. :lol:

John
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Mardi Gras is another great time to pull off the skirt/dress or what have you !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Dang, I wish I thought of that!

John
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I am dead against the idea of donning skirts as disguise for halloween or other funny/silly events.
Doing so would be reinforcing the commonly held idea :
1, that men in skirts are laughable;
2, that women (and their clothes) are laughable,
3, that men or women who choose to wear skirts are outside the bounds of polite, sane society.

No. Are we not wearing skirts for the comfort and elegance, the colour and variety?

I am not in disguise in my everyday clothes, and I neither feel nor look laughable.

Martin
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

... and, in any case, donning a skirt is not dressing up "en femme" and needs no heels nor wigs.

M
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl,
.... if you don't waver she'll have no choice but to yield.
Not necessarily true as MOH doesn't seem to be yielding whatever I do. Think irresistible force ( me ) meeting immovable object ( her ).

John, Why shave off the facial hair when dressing femme? Kenny Everett and others have dressed female and worn beards at the same time. Blackadder, for one, even had a female dressed as a male with facial hair.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Couya wrote:I am dead against the idea of donning skirts as disguise for halloween or other funny/silly events.
3, that men or women who choose to wear skirts are outside the bounds of polite, sane society.

No. Are we not wearing skirts for the comfort and elegance, the colour and variety?

I am not in disguise in my everyday clothes, and I neither feel nor look laughable.

Martin
Precisely.
Well said.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:
.... if you don't waver she'll have no choice but to yield.
Not necessarily true as MOH doesn't seem to be yielding whatever I do. Think irresistible force ( me ) meeting immovable object ( her ).
My "advice" (being free and whatnot, mind) was intended to be used in the context of dealing with an adult child -- not necessarily between peers and partners. With peers, the dynamic can become very strained indeed and unless everybody is willing to bend a bit it can end badly.

Sometimes being "stuck in one's ways" is nice and comforting; sometimes it's outright Hell for one, the other, or both.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Couya wrote:I am dead against the idea of donning skirts as disguise for halloween or other funny/silly events.

Martin
I cannot say that I was attempting to disguise myself when I wore my dress to work at Halloween. I continued to speak with my deep masculine voice. The makeup I wore (lipstick and eye makeup) was no different than what I wear for business or church. I don't need anything artificial to fill a bra since I have the real thing. The only difference for Halloween was in my clothing and shoes. And I went to the men's restroom a couple of times at work. It is so much easier to lift the hem of a dress than to fumble with a zipper while standing up to urinate at a urinal.

I was simply suggesting a way to give Hairy's daughter a real reason for flying off the handle.

I REALLY wish crossdressers would quit using feminine names and use their real masculine names. Yes, I am guilty of using a feminine name for some crossdressing forums but I do so to fit in. At any rate, I divulge my real masculine name.

John
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

JohnH wrote: I REALLY wish crossdressers would quit using feminine names and use their real masculine names. Yes, I am guilty of using a feminine name for some crossdressing forums but I do so to fit in. At any rate, I divulge my real masculine name.

John
I think more of them are beginning to realise that they do not need to disguise themselves as women-
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/sho ... -in-public
(there is also a link there to skirtcafe)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

JohnH wrote:...I REALLY wish crossdressers would quit using feminine names and use their real masculine names. Yes, I am guilty of using a feminine name for some crossdressing forums but I do so to fit in. At any rate, I divulge my real masculine name...
If you want to look completely like a woman, that should be OK.

But if you just want to wear skirts, tights, heels, or other items more common to women, yet still primarily look like a man, that should be OK too.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I'm still doing battle with this one. I left my new skirt in its bag right beside settee where the daughter was sitting I'm sure she must have looked in it but said nothing. I was brave one morning and went downstairs in my skirt only to find she was still in bed so after my shower went back to wrapping in a towel. If only I could be with my daughter out and about and see another bloke in a skirt then I could tell her I do same. I also told my wife quite loudly that I wanted to wear my skirts so daughter would hear, I'm sure daughter must know by now but say's nothing. I wanted to get this over with by the time she goes back to uni next week, it's stressing me to the point where I might give up and keep it secret, which is what wife would want, but by doing so I will never be free.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Well, I will chime in here... I modeled several skirts and kilts from my collection for her one day, as she has a pretty open mind, it was no problem...

I had more trouble wearing them around my son, but again, it was all in my head, he has no issue either... In fact, I bought him a plain olive green kilt at the local Irish Festival and he wears it from time to time at events.

Guess it really depends on how you and your SO raised your kids... were they raised with open minds or lots of prejudices?
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I received my first kilt yesterday and tried it on so daughter could see it, she had a little chuckle and was sort of OK about it, but it has to go back. Its slightly too big, and its so very thick, like wearing a blanket so would be too hot for summer I'm wondering about replacement for winter use. I told daughter I'll send it back and go back to wearing my skirts. As one of you said I do think its my own trepidation that's stopping me on this one, I've used the skirt word a lot around her lately and she hasn't commented. However I did tell my older sister about the kilt as she has always been open minded about things, but I could tell by her voice that even she didn't want me to wear a kilt and said all the usual things about my getting shorts for hot weather, stuff like that. I'm probably wanting a family member to tell me to just wear a skirt, then I'll be OK. It seems I'm still skirting around the issue.
Different subject, I've not been around long but can someone tell me how to post pics?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

How much bigger was it that you have to send it back.
In most cases a big kilt can be made smaller with a bit of adjustment from a tailor.
The cost of sending it back should be measured against these local adjustments.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !