Not just lurking

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Not just lurking

Post by Reaper_Man »

I think my wife is becoming more accepting to my skirt / dress wearing, so far she has only really been ok with me wearing a skirt (but not a dress) whilst on holiday and not in our home city (Leeds UK), i did wear skirts / dresses for 4 whole days at Whitby Gothic Weekend (no trousers etc at all), she was fine with this as men in skirts and dresses is not unusual at this event and there were a good number of men wearing them.

More recently we went to see a live band in Leeds and she was ok with me wearing a dress i had recently bought but she insisted on a taxi both to and from the venue even though it is only a 10-15 minute walk, again this was a goth/alternative band and those attending would be used to seeing men in female attire.

On Saturday we fly off on a holiday to Lanzarote and we were packing our suitcases over the weekend and i asked if she was ok with me taking some skirts to which she replied "yes that's fine, you can take some dresses too if you wish"

I'll just have to wait and see whether or not she objects to me wearing them once there but fingers crossed :D
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

this is the dress etc that i wore for the goth/alternative gig in Leeds recently (see post above)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Reaper_Man wrote:this is the dress etc that i wore for the goth/alternative gig in Leeds recently (see post above)
All you need on that is a sword hanging from the belt.

Hint: Sheers under the fencenets have a dual function: (1) they look better and (2) gets rid of a lot of the comfort problems with the netting. BTDT.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

crfriend wrote: [Hint: Sheers under the fencenets have a dual function: (1) they look better and (2) gets rid of a lot of the comfort problems with the netting. BTDT.
crfriend, the picture was taken during a test run prior to actually going out in the dress, the only comfort problems i had was that the fence nets (or whale nets as they are described on the packaging) was that they got between the toes and tended to attempt to slice them off, i didn't have any sheers handy at the time so i got around the problem by wearing a pair of short socks underneath the whale nets, these were not visible on the night as i was wearing a pair of new rock goth boots that finished about 6 inches below the knees

i have since tried a pair of red whale nets over a black sheers and quite like the look of them and no doubt will be worn this way sometime in the future
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Reaper_Man wrote:[...] i didn't have any sheers handy at the time so i got around the problem by wearing a pair of short socks underneath the whale nets, these were not visible on the night as i was wearing a pair of new rock goth boots that finished about 6 inches below the knees
Being ingenious is always a big help. Very lightweight "footie socks" also work in hot weather if one is wearing conventional shoes.
i have since tried a pair of red whale nets over a black sheers and quite like the look of them and no doubt will be worn this way sometime in the future
Layering can work insanely well. There's a shot of me in a near-mini with striped multi-coloured fishies over black opaques which I wore for Christmas dinner with some friends. (It is winter here, after all, and I am not such a slave to fashion that I feel the need to freeze my keister off.)
freefire

Post by freefire »

i ave been lurking for Quite a while as nothing seems to happpen.I went to the million man skirted men happening in nyc a few years back,had a great time. Met a number of great people albeit i dont know what happened to them as it seems they no longer post.Would like to see and meet similar
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

freefire wrote:I went to the million man skirted men happening in nyc a few years back,had a great time. Met a number of great people albeit i dont know what happened to them as it seems they no longer post.
There are a few folks who were there who still lurk here, and like you, I wish they'd be more active.

Brad posts from time to time, and I know he was there, and there's another chap from New England who I believe was there (and whose name escapes me at the moment) lurks. At least one, Tom Manuel, who is sadly gone, and who founded the forum called "Tom's Café" which this is a direct descendent of.

I managed to miss the "Million Skirted Man March" as it happened in the early 2000s and I was just beginning to fiddle with the notion of single-tube garments and wasn't much looking for on-line hints and tricks.

Every once in a while I'll reach out to whom I term Pioneers and who still come here to speak up, but I guess they're happy with their station in life, glad that we exist now, and don't feel they have much to contribute -- having given it their all years ago and won the fight.
Would like to see and meet similar
So would I. Pioneers are almost always very interesting people.
jolt_34500

Post by jolt_34500 »

Hi Dan,
I too am guilty of lurking, if not completely missing for days or weeks at a time as I often have other things that draw my attention.