Ties and skirts/kilts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
howardh

Ties and skirts/kilts

Post by howardh »

Just reading another thread, and made me think. I've never found that (m or f) wearing a tie with a skirt works - to me just doesn't look right? Even from tender years always puzzled me why we send girls to school with skirts and (school) ties (the Russian/scouts-style neckerchief seems much more suitable, and unisex I suppose, where as ties seem to be *male*).

Opinions? Feel free to shout me down - I might just be on my own on this one!! :oops: :D
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ties and skirts/kilts

Post by Big and Bashful »

I just do not understand why anyone would tie a piece of string around their neck, ties aren't warm, they aren't any use at keeping rain off, they just make a collar feel more constricting. I wear them, but only if I have to at work. I can't think of a more pointless garment.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Big and Bashful wrote:I can't think of a more pointless garment.

I can...trousers! 8)

No but seriously, I whole heartedly agree, ties are the most idiotic fashion piece ever, serving no point but to keep people under the authority and control of some higher-up, even just society. They are merely an ascetic piece, serving no functionality. They do not make one look "more professional" than those without one. To me, what makes one professional is not how he is dressed or looks, but his character and his behavior. You could dress a man up as a bum and have him serve someone in a business setting and his professionalism could easily outweigh by far the professionalism (or lack thereof) of a shyster in a fancy, expensive suit and tie.

On a related note, I am torn between two dissertation ideas for my graduate schooling in Scotland. One idea I would like to pursue is to see just really how much a teacher's appearance in dress affects a class as opposed to his manner, behavior, attitude toward the material and the students, and his teaching ability. I would like to have three test cases, where one teacher wears the traditional trousers, collared shirt, and tie, and then another class where the teacher wears less formal clothing, perhaps Hawaiian shirts and a lavalava or shorts and flip flops, and then a third class where the teacher wears casual student clothing like shorts, sandals, t-shirts, etc. I would like to see just how well the student perform in said classes, both behaviorally and proficiency in the material taught. My hypothesis is that teacher appearance doesn't make as much difference as people think, and that the major difference is in the behavior, attitude, manner, respect, and skill of the teacher as to whether students success is high, low, or medium. I would like the end result to be that institutions stop having such strict dress codes for faculty/employees, especially the requiring of a tucked in shirt and tie for men, and even go so far as to allow kilts and others skirts for men to be worn as well. I am always envious at work seeing the women being able to walk around in virtually whatever they want, to the point of their tops being simply plain t-shirts, while men have to wear the tucked in, collared shirt with noose around their necks. Not very "equal" or "standard" if you ask me. But, work has been gracious enough to allow me to wear kilts/lavalavas, so I'm glad they have been a little liberal in that respect.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

And if you wear a bra as I do, it really is hell to push the straps toward the neck when they are almost falling off the shoulders when I have to wear a tie. Maybe that is the reason why not very many women wear ties.

John
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Ascetic, PMcK? don't you mean aesthetic? On the other hand, maybe ascetic is about right!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I admit to wearing neckties from time to time, mainly as an accent-piece. In that role, they have their place and can be very useful things. It's just another component to help achieve a polished look in some settings. If a necktie might be considered too much, an ascot is a wonderful substitute.

Skirts and ties can work together quite well, and one of the images on my "Pics and Looks" thread shows one up fairly well where I was "dressed to the nines" for an important technical presentation at my ex-employer (where I was viewed as a threat by the psychopath in charge of the group) and I wanted to make a very powerful statement. I believe I wore a similar rig to my wife's 45th high-school reunion a few years ago and got a couple of rave reviews for it.

The "neckerchief" is an interesting notion, as is an outright scarf of some light fabric as a blaze of colour in the summer or a heavier one for colder times.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

For my sins I have ordered a tailor-made A-line knee length pleated skirt in grey with a tartan yoke, also a matching tartan tie !!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:For my sins I have ordered a tailor-made A-line knee length pleated skirt in grey with a tartan yoke, also a matching tartan tie !!
Dang, Tom, what's not to love about that design? I'd have gone for a wider tie, but that's the '70s coming back to haunt me.

Pictures, please, when it shows up and you have an opportunity for a photo-shoot!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I can think of one reason why Tom K might have ordered his tie to not be too wide - if the tartan fabric is at all substantial, that is the only way to be able to tie it without the knot getting very large.
I wear a tie four days a week and have to keep some older, spread-collar shirts around because some of my ties make big knots.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Tom,
That looks like an excellent skirt, great design!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

You have to remember that for the more staid male population the tie is probably the only item of clothing with any colour in it - black shoes, black socks, black trousers, black jacket, white shirt. As Crl has pointed out the tie in some circumstances can add that finishing touch to an ensemble. But other places such as in the health industry ties have now been banned as unhygienic along with long sleeved shirts. Yes the tie is impractical and a throwback to the days when it was used as a serviette. I have loads of ties but very rarely wear one now - church and interviews mainly. I actually think that a cravat is a quite sophisticated and charming alternative. I used to have three but they have got lost somewhere in the mists of time. Must see if ebay has any on offer.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Sinned wrote: I actually think that a cravat is a quite sophisticated and charming alternative. I used to have three but they have got lost somewhere in the mists of time. Must see if ebay has any on offer.
Try http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/neckwear.html
They are based in Sussex. I'm not sure whether they are only an online shop, or if they have an actual shop. If they had it might even be possible for you to visit them.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Big and Bashful wrote: I can't think of a more pointless garment.
Swimming trunks? Don't keep you warm, don't keep you dry and generally look dreadful too.

At least a tie can add a dash of colour to an outfit.

Like Carl, I have a couple cravats that I use to brighten things up, mine came from the Pocket Watch and Waistcoat Company. They were happy to make cravats from any of the materials they have, some of which are VERY loud :D (Take this one as an example.)

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I also despise neck ties. IMO if you need color strangling you, consider a noose of climbing rope; it comes in a multitude of bright color patterns. My own preference, when a tie is expected, can be found at:

http://www.mensfashionforless.com/aberc ... shirt.html
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

There seem to be two different camps: you either despise ties, or you do not. I detest them. I hate the sensation of being strangled, and for what purpose is this sacrifice? So the ridiculous rag can make me look stupid.

I could do without neckware for the rest of my life.