Ties and skirts/kilts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ties and skirts/kilts

Post by skirtingtoday »

I almost never wear a tie nowadays - certainly not in the office or going to client meetings (the clients too generally have shirts with top button undone and no tie).

When I do wear one, it is a matching tartan tie to my kilt and with (usually) a black shirt. At other times (with the kilt), I wear a ghillie shirt with a dark jacket.

Or a black tie at a funeral.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

During my years as a sales rep I had to wear a tie daily. I noticed that I was treated differently when so attired. Folks called me sir and most seemed more polite and friendly towards me. That said, I have not worn a tie more than 2-3 times in the last few years and can't tie one properly without practice.
If anyone needs a tie I have about hundred hanging in my closet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:Swimming trunks? Don't keep you warm, don't keep you dry and generally look dreadful too.
That does win the contest for "moist pointless garment".
At least a tie can add a dash of colour to an outfit.
Indeed, and there is nothing saying that the things have to be worn so tight that they're uncomfortable. If you find them uncomfortable, question whether you have a shirt with the right neck size; if you're choking, that's likely the cause not the necktie.
(Take this one as an example.)
Wow. That burns the eyes, and certainly would be unforgettable.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Ties are symbolic. That is their functionality. Do I like them or the custom that requires them. Yes and no. A tie is a symbol of respect for the business or social situation one is attending to. I may not have a lot of respect for some individuals in some situations I may encounter, but I can communicate respect for the process by dressing appropriately. It is important to me to present myself in the best light possible.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Ties - who needs them? I don't like them, though once mine is on I generally don't think about it much. I'd happily never wear one again.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Milfmog wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote: I can't think of a more pointless garment.
Swimming trunks? Don't keep you warm, don't keep you dry and generally look dreadful too.

Like Carl, I have a couple cravats that I use to brighten things up, mine came from the Pocket Watch and Waistcoat Company. They were happy to make cravats from any of the materials they have, some of which are VERY loud :D (Take this one as an example.)

Have fun,

Ian.
Swimming trunks have their uses, not getting locked up when going for a paddle sort of justifies their existence! Much as I would prefer it if swimming and beach related cavorting in the nuddy was legal and normal, unfortunately the influence of the prude has decreed that the fact that we are animals and have animal bits needs to be hidden from view, hence swimming trunks have got a job for life!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Sinned wrote:You have to remember that for the more staid male population the tie is probably the only item of clothing with any colour in it - black shoes, black socks, black trousers, black jacket, white shirt.
That is their fault they wear such drab clothing. I don't feel sorry for them since it is their choice. It is a coincidence that DRAB - dressed as boy - is just that. Why is it for animals the male is more flamboyant - e.g. cardinals, ducks, peacocks, and lions than the female counterpart, yet for Western apparel men really have dismal drab clothing and grooming compared to women?

John
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

Ties are symbolic. That is their functionality. Do I like them or the custom that requires them. Yes and no. A tie is a symbol of respect for the business or social situation one is attending to. I may not have a lot of respect for some individuals in some situations I may encounter, but I can communicate respect for the process by dressing appropriately. It is important to me to present myself in the best light possible.
Ties are useless. They are a symbol of foolishness, cuz you look foolish in them and who demands you to look like a fool has no respect for you and therefore deserves no respect. :mrgreen: Ähm, imagination is not a function. You can say that a person makes a garment but the reverse order is simply not true. It starts in the military and goes on in sports, if you hail the uniform rather than the actually person, it is a kinda unrealistic approach, lad. :roll:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

rick401r wrote:<snip>
If anyone needs a tie I have about hundred hanging in my closet.
You may remember a gentleman named Bob who was a musician in the
Seattle, Washington area. His last name escapes me now.........ANYWAY,
he had quite a few ties and he made a skirt out of them and he wore that
skirt to several gigs he performed at.

OK - - I remembered his name ......... Bob Pettingill(sp), may he R.I.P.
He was a valued contributor here and at Tom's Cafe' way back in the
beginning. I'm sure Carl remembers him and his "Tie-Built" Skirt :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

crfriend wrote:Indeed, and there is nothing saying that the things have to be worn so tight that they're uncomfortable. If you find them uncomfortable, question whether you have a shirt with the right neck size; if you're choking, that's likely the cause not the necktie.
Hmmm... I doubt the lines between "indecently loose" and "dangerously tight" overlap at all for me. If I can't easily get eight fingers between collar and neck with an air gap between each finger and my neck the garment is dangerously tight - the more formal the occasion, the more dangerous (of ruining the formality of the occasion, at least, if plainly not of actual strangulation). And yes, on the rare occasion I have had a scarf about my neck I do have to do this with reasonable frequency to let my reflexes settle down and avoid making a mess.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »

This site provides some interesting history for the tie of today.

http://www.tie-a-tie.net/blog/the-evolu ... e-necktie/

I agree that there is no real purpose for a tie today except as part of the uniform pushed upon business men.

Peter
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »

Here are some examples I found.
4pcs-set-shirt-tie-or-cravat-vest-pants-or-skirt-New-slim-women-s-wear-work.jpg
Necktie2.jpg
necktie3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »

and one for us.
necktie4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
howardh

Post by howardh »

Big and Bashful wrote:
Milfmog wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote: I can't think of a more pointless garment.
Swimming trunks? Don't keep you warm, don't keep you dry and generally look dreadful too.

Like Carl, I have a couple cravats that I use to brighten things up, mine came from the Pocket Watch and Waistcoat Company. They were happy to make cravats from any of the materials they have, some of which are VERY loud :D (Take this one as an example.)

Have fun,

Ian.
Swimming trunks have their uses, not getting locked up when going for a paddle sort of justifies their existence! Much as I would prefer it if swimming and beach related cavorting in the nuddy was legal and normal, unfortunately the influence of the prude has decreed that the fact that we are animals and have animal bits needs to be hidden from view, hence swimming trunks have got a job for life!
Bit OT but - You need to go to Spain more, where it is NOT an offence to be au natural on any beach! Curtosy means beaches adjacent to heavily built-up areas are not used for nude bathing (curtosy - not the law) but everywhere else you go as you want. Britain could learn a lesson from that!
howardh

Post by howardh »

MrUtopia wrote:Here are some examples I found.
necktie3.jpg
Wow - second from left - gorgeous lady! Drop the tie though - but sensational tights. I'm getting rather hot now...time for breakfast!